Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Kristopher

Re: [game] Crazy Game - The Battle for Demacia

said by Kristopher:

Honest feedback is important so we can continue to make these games fun. I am also not a fan of the possessor role, but it was interesting to see how it played out in a game. Too overpowered, and reduced players at too high a rate coupled with the night kill.

Is it overpowered when they still lost?

Jobbie balanced the game out by giving town some extra help.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

You can't really blame a win/loss on a single game considering the RNG. We lost pretty badly (6-1 I think) and I was screwed but tried to role-claim best I could (the snatcher and RB are different, right?), but I think mafia might have had more of a chance of if they kept the vig shot...
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by Krisnatharok:

but I think mafia might have had more of a chance of if they kept the vig shot...

^ This.

With the vig shot, I would have probably shot KrisN (sorry, KrisN) and claimed Vig that way, while keeping up with the night kills and staying anonymous to cop investigations. But, oh well, it didn't happen, so it was still a fun game.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
reply to Krisnatharok

Necromancer.

Never forget.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Goggalor

Thanks for the comments guys, I will take this into account for next games. The vig shot was a though call because the possesor role was giving the town 2 kills a night already which could have gone out of hand real quick.

And the inclusion of the possessor role was based on the previous game where we voted to night without thinking about it, now with the role in place people was at least trying to get people to talk before accepting that they could be the next to be turned to the dark side.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I think the RNG completely worked in the town's favor. I don't think we ever had a double-death all game.

That means town was successful in blocking at least 50% of the kills, at least for the first two nights. Even later, we had several successful protections.

It would be interesting to see a game with mafia starting with two possessors and with a night kill ability that isn't activated until both possessors are stopped. Think of it as stages in a boss fight.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Exactly it was all about the RNG I prefered to go to the safe side the higher the number of townied the lower the chance to get a good protection which actually happened this game.
--

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1

They should have just made me the jester lol

My inactivity was a mix of actual inactivity and trying to post as little as possible to avoid the word bomber. I hate that role.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4

"role"

BOOM

DrModem has been slain.

Antonica
Premium
join:2002-09-02
reply to Goggalor

said by Goggalor:

Oh well, we did what we could. We just got really unlucky with that Dr. Modem switch up. If not for that, we would probably have won this game. Additionally, I need to stop being nice to non-actives, more of them should have been lynched, like Modem or Teemo or Ant... it just made the game draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Hahha. That's so awesome that you just said next time I need to make sure I focus and go after 3 townies. What an awesome play style (for mafia :P). If I ever play another game, you'll get my first vote.

I didn't finish reading the rest of the game, I'll try and get to it today.... but gg :P. Also big F U to everyone who said if KrisN was mafia, I have to be too. I'm glad there was not another mafia becuase they would have had 2 free kills. Kill night after KrisN was lynched, and my killed, and another night kill the next night since I wasn't mafia.
--
»Re: [game] Crazy Game - The Resurrection - Day 2
Corrupt Politician - tmodelt
You may privately message the rest of the mafia: ekster, Rook008 & Kristopher. You win with the mafia.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by Antonica:

said by Goggalor:

Oh well, we did what we could. We just got really unlucky with that Dr. Modem switch up. If not for that, we would probably have won this game. Additionally, I need to stop being nice to non-actives, more of them should have been lynched, like Modem or Teemo or Ant... it just made the game draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Hahha. That's so awesome that you just said next time I need to make sure I focus and go after 3 townies. What an awesome play style (for mafia :P). If I ever play another game, you'll get my first vote.

Engrish, prease?

What I meant by my statement was that I should (and will now) push for inactives more, even when not Mafia, so the game will at least keep moving. The no lynch stuff draws it out too much.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Antonica
Premium
reply to Kristopher

said by Kristopher:

We had a kind of unwritten order of events. Protections take precedence. Then blocks. The kills. Then switches. Then investigations.

For anyone who has questions on modding, a good chunk of us have done it before and are more than happy to provide input. However, the game is up to the mod's descrestion so if the mod wants to do something wacky, it's their choice. They just have to keep in mind if they want players to join the next game they mod, they have to play fair :P.

I don't agree with the above order. Switches always took places before kills. Switches usually took place before everything, so if someone blocked x... and x and y were switched, y would be the one blocked. Again, it's up to the mod though.

The I never did get a chance to read and understand fully, but can I get a yes or no answer? Did the flavor text give any information out, at all, or hint to anything that happened at night?

That is the biggest no no in my book, but that's my preference. I wouldn't play games that had that.. gives an unfair advantage.
--
You may privately message the rest of the mafia: ekster, Rook008 & Kristopher. You win with the mafia.

Antonica
Premium
reply to Goggalor

You do realize, even being drug out (which EVERY game does at some point, some more than others).... those 3 people were town? If you would have pushed for them, even being inactive, you would have hurt the town and could have lost the game?

The point of the game is to win, not to make it go fast. If you want a fast game (and believe me, I was the only mod who would do timed games because I hated how long they took :P), then you can ask for someone to host a timed game or host one yourself to try it out.
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to Antonica

Flavor should have nothing to do with game mechanics. That's why players should not know their flavor name until after death. Gives unfair advantage over those who don't know the flavor. We lost a few regular players over that. I think regular CG's without flavor are the best way to go now.

My order was incorrect. Switches happen before kills. But blocks should take precedence over switches in case the switcher is blocked.
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

I don't think you can say anything has precedence over anything.

It's circular.

Blocks can't have precedence over switches because if switcher switches player A and B, and blocker switcher, then switcher is blocked and cannot switch (which is fine.) But if the blocker blocks player A, and it takes precedence to the switcher, then player A remains blocked (not fine!)

It should be more of finding the unaffected players, perform their actions first, and from there, deal with the rest. Precedence should never be set in stone.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

Agreed. It's basically what makes most sense.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

It's circular.

Blocks can't have precedence over switches because if switcher switches player A and B, and blocker switcher, then switcher is blocked and cannot switch (which is fine.) But if the blocker blocks player A, and it takes precedence to the switcher, then player A remains blocked (not fine!)

It should be more of finding the unaffected players, perform their actions first, and from there, deal with the rest. Precedence should never be set in stone.

I agree with this.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Forget to add one thing.

*when ekster See Profile shoots someone, it takes precedence over everything and everyone but ekster See Profile dies.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Antonica

Also there was no flavor that provided any advantage to the game, all the player's flavors were revealed upon death (well only Arch knew he was teemo but it was pretty obvious).
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC

I think they mean about the part where it was hinted that Jim died because he tried to possess Kristopher. It kind of made things a bit easier instead of guessing why he was killed.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

It's circular.

I think that's Apples and Oranges.

Scenario 1:
Action: Blocker blocks Switcher
Net effect: Switcher can't switch and no one else is modifying Switcher so no one is switched.

Scenario 2:
Action: Blocker blocks player A
Action: Switcher swaps Player A and Player B
Net effect: Blocker blocks Player B.

We're discussing precedence of actions occurring to the same person. In which case swap > kill = block > investigation; save > kill

Why kill = block? They aren't mutually exclusive events. You can be both blocked and killed and each action doesn't affect the other.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to ekster

Oh well, that just brought end to the possessor role in my book maybe it should have changed to let town stay in fear from the role.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
reply to Antonica

said by Antonica:

You do realize, even being drug out (which EVERY game does at some point, some more than others).... those 3 people were town? If you would have pushed for them, even being inactive, you would have hurt the town and could have lost the game?

The point of the game is to win, not to make it go fast. If you want a fast game (and believe me, I was the only mod who would do timed games because I hated how long they took :P), then you can ask for someone to host a timed game or host one yourself to try it out.

Well, the point for me this game was to hurt the town, though.
--
From Psychonauts -
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
reply to Jobbie

said by Jobbie:

Oh well, that just brought end to the possessor role in my book maybe it should have changed to let town stay in fear from the role.

Or just make it a one-time only ability. I think it has its uses.

Antonica
Premium
reply to Jobbie

said by Jobbie:

yeah... flavor should never elude to anything game related...

I know arch before has almost done things like that, but it was 100% pure flavor and even as a mod he had to come in the game and post that the flavor was just that, flavor. No hints etc should be in flavor.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Goggalor

said by Goggalor:

said by Jobbie:

Or just make it a one-time only ability. I think it has its uses.

There are other kinds of possesor in the roles like the Masons used as a third party "faction" that possess a townie and die if they try to posess mafia.

It is pretty cool..
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Oh and Snatcher and Roleblocker ARE DIFFERENT ROLES!!!!!!!!!

Roleblocker specifies a night time ability, and snatcher does not specify a time, which implies that the mod could make it a daytime or entire cycle (1 night, 1 day) role as well, such as preventing the person from voting or being lynched.
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to Antonica

said by Antonica:

yeah... flavor should never elude to anything game related...

allude

Escape Goat

--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Oh and Snatcher and Roleblocker ARE DIFFERENT ROLES!!!!!!!!!

They are not. The snatcher is a town roleblocker.
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to Krisnatharok

I laughed so hard at Portus Dwight picure. But I would consider the snatcher a roleblocker. Why have both on town side in the same game?
--