Premium Member
join:2004-07-21
Lafayette, LA

Carl to CharterTech

Premium Member

to CharterTech

Re: [HSI] Users may experience slower connection speeds if torre

said by CharterTech:

It will be slowed down to 15Mbps on the first offense for 30 days from first offense. Seconds offense 10Mbps for 30 days.

If two or more offenses happen in a month 500Kbps.

I am absolutely not okay with this. If this happens to me - and it shouldn't, because I don't really torrent - I will switch to AT&T. They only offer 6Mbps in my area, but I'd rather 6Mbps regardless of what I do instead of 100Mbps that get cuts down tremendously should I "step out of line" or something. This is absolutely not acceptable.

I could see cutting it down to half of your rated speed and then half of that for the second offense...but 500Kbps? Hells no.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

Carl, I know you are mostly venting on a sympathy we all share, but in reality you don't want to go back to aDSL as that platform is slowly being resold or allowed to die a slow death by all ISPs who still provide it.

as for a 500kbps penalty phase, that make some sense as the average user would not notice a 15 to 10 speed downgrade - also 500Kbps is the transfer rate not the speed. a 15-10 speed line has a transfer rate of 1200Kbps, so 500Kbps would be about the same 6 speed you propose leaving cable for aDSL.

Carl
Premium Member
join:2004-07-21
Lafayette, LA

Carl

Premium Member

said by Packeteers:

Carl, I know you are mostly venting on a sympathy we all share, but in reality you don't want to go back to aDSL as that platform is slowly being resold or allowed to die a slow death by all ISPs who still provide it.

as for a 500kbps penalty phase, that make some sense as the average user would not notice a 15 to 10 speed downgrade - also 500Kbps is the transfer rate not the speed. a 15-10 speed line has a transfer rate of 1200Kbps, so 500Kbps would be about the same 6 speed you propose leaving cable for aDSL.

He said rates will fall to 15Mbps or 10Mbps. Then he also said 500Kbps...as in a 62.5KBps download speed. That is not acceptable.

My only AT&T option is the new IPDSLAM product they're offering - I don't see that going away anytime soon. It's ADSL2+ and not ADSL.

I would definitely notice a downgrade from 100Mbps to 15Mbps. I would MOST definitely notice one from 10Mbps to 500Kbps!

Unacceptable.

crohakon1
@charter.com

crohakon1

Anon

said by Carl:

said by Packeteers:

He said rates will fall to 15Mbps or 10Mbps. Then he also said 500Kbps...as in a 62.5KBps download speed. That is not acceptable.

My only AT&T option is the new IPDSLAM product they're offering - I don't see that going away anytime soon. It's ADSL2+ and not ADSL.

I would definitely notice a downgrade from 100Mbps to 15Mbps. I would MOST definitely notice one from 10Mbps to 500Kbps!

Unacceptable.

Again, "CharterTech" is posting false information. He has a trend of doing so. Please confirm anything with the Charter Direct guys before believing anything he posts.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Carl

MVM

to Carl
said by Carl:

I am absolutely not okay with this. If this happens to me - and it shouldn't, because I don't really torrent - I will switch to AT&T. They only offer 6Mbps in my area, but I'd rather 6Mbps regardless of what I do instead of 100Mbps that get cuts down tremendously should I "step out of line" or something. This is absolutely not acceptable.

As has been noted by others, this appears to be related to the MPAA/RIAA "Six Strikes" initiative. You should be aware that AT&T is also participating in "Six Strikes".