uniqs
share rss forum feed

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac

Cable: 2 Computers allowed, What does this mean?

From the Modem:

CABLE MODEM DIAGNOSTICS
Configuration Parameters:
Computers Allowed by Service Provider: 2
Computers Detected by Modem: 2

Does this mean that I can put a simple switch/hub on the modem and have 2 simultaneous connections? Or.. does it mean that the modem recognizes 2 unique MAC addresses on the Ethernet side, but not connected at the same time?

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
2 simultaneous connections.
of course that should be two routers/firewalls. Or two connections from a nicer router. handy for testing or using two unique IPs.

WhaleOilBee

Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
said by vikingisson:

2 simultaneous connections.
of course that should be two routers/firewalls. Or two connections from a nicer router. handy for testing or using two unique IPs.

Thanks. I didn't want to go buy a hub/switch until I asked if it was technically possible, and not against the TSI TOS ( I couldn't find any mention there ).

And yes, two routers. 1 has a USB 3G auto fail-over backup for when the cable internet is down. I would connect the VOIP ATA phone, and a home-control microcomputer ( embedded Linux ) to that one. Everything else, like desktop computer and Netflix box I would connect to the other router. Since the 3G is limited cap and $$$ overage, I wouldn't want to unknowing be using it to watch a Netflix movie.

Bootly

join:2005-08-22
Toronto, ON
Bump this -- I'd love to hear from someone who has put two devices on their DCM 475/6 successfully. Particularly, I'd like to hear from TekSavvy re: their opinions on the matter.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to WhaleOilBee
It means the DHCP server will lease out max two IPs at the same time based on two different LAN mac IDs but only one IP can be used at a time. My suggestion is don't abuse this set-up and ruin it for everyone (meaning don't lease two IPs when you can only use one, so release the IP that you are not using).

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
I always assumed this was a bonus for people on the higher tier rogers cable packages. I've seen cut and paste on this board of that screen and many people seem to only have 1 computer allowed. Myself I'm on the 28/1 and have "2 allowed computers". Any rogers people on 28/1 not have 2? Any rogers people on the low tier have 2?

I will say it was handy not having to power cycle my modem when switching from my router to PC to test some connection issues.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
Think about it, most routers have how many ports? And can handle how many potential concurrent connections at a single time?

The modem (SB6120) for instance, can allow up to 32 computers on the LAN, think about how thats achieved.

Then think some more and do the math.

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON
reply to WhaleOilBee
replying to the OP since a few answers don't make much sense. Allowing two IPs based on the MAC has been around for years and years. Yes it works, two machines can ask for an IP and you'll get it. And yes both will work at the same time. Simple as that.

The only benefit is having a 2nd IP, there's no data or speed advantage, no abuse, just two IPs. Arguing why or why not is another topic.

WhaleOilBee

Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by vikingisson:

replying to the OP since a few answers don't make much sense. Allowing two IPs based on the MAC has been around for years and years. Yes it works, two machines can ask for an IP and you'll get it. And yes both will work at the same time. Simple as that.

The only benefit is having a 2nd IP, there's no data or speed advantage, no abuse, just two IPs. Arguing why or why not is another topic.

I connected the DCM476 to a 5 port switch, then plugged my two routers into it. It gave me a unique IP address for each. I have no intention of abusing this; if TSI doesn't have a large enough pool of IP addresses to lease, I don't want to be a hog and take two. Aren't we on IPV6 yet? Don't we have enough IP addresses for everybody on the planet to have several each?

Anyway, I think I explained that one of my routers has a USB stick 3G auto fail-over backup. I want my VOIP ATA phone on that router so I don't lose the phone when the cable internet is out. I don't want any other computers or BluRay Netflix players using 3G; so if I put them on the other router they will only have access to cable WAN. I'm sure if I got deep into it, I might figure out how to add routing entries in the one router to exclude 3G connections to specific LAN ports. This 2 router solution just seems so much simpler; and basically I'm lazy.

Since nobody from TSI has chimed-in I will ask in the support forum if this is allowed. I'll probably get the answer that they don't support router questions. In any case, I won't publish their reply here; you're on your own.

Edit: By the way, this makes for some interesting challenges to access devices on one router from devices on the other router. It looks like I'll have to set up two dynamic DNS entries to cross-communicate.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to WhaleOilBee
My SB6120 shows this

# Known CPE MAC Address (Max 2) Status
1 00:1D:60:XX:XX:XX Dynamic

I suppose it can do another one as well.
--

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON
reply to WhaleOilBee
Personally I think there's better ways but you can do what you're doing with two routers. You can treat the other router's WAN like any random internet IP to test your firewall. I do that with each router having their own internal subnet. In your case you'll probably have one internal net and only change gateway IPs for the devices in question. What you don't get is decent QOS since one router isn't seeing the other and the modem runs the same as seeing one router with a thousand machines behind it.