uniqs

artesian79
join:2001-10-16
West Chester, OH

artesian79 to lugnut

to lugnut

Re: Is this a good application of MagicJack Plus

Thank you.

From what I understand, only the PLUS version is sold from them now.

She does not have access to the router so it will be through the computer (USB?).

I live several states away. Can I set it up in Ohio, with an area code that makes sense, and then mail it to her? I've ordered a new laptop and would like to test everything out here if possible so that all she has to do is plug it in.

I've read some horror stories on installation and I don't think there would be anyone who could help. They had a real difficult time just getting her wireless going.

It is a housing complex for senior citizens, so...... (I'm over 50 myself so I'm not knocking them. I am a spring chicken to them though.)

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

Well as long as you take care of the billing aspect and input a valid credit card number you can set it up from anywhere to look like it's stationed almost anywhere else in the US.

The MJ+ still has a USB connector as well as ethernet so yes your friend can use it from her computer.

However, if she is computer illiterate, the second it plugs into a computer it installs and activates its own software. This can be set up on multiple computers as long as you have the original password you set it up with.

Then again unless she has some familiarity with setting up sound devices on her PC she may end up encountering some difficulty getting it to work with a PC mic and speakers. My advice to her would be to pick up a cheap handset and plug it into the RJ11 jack on the MJ+ and plug the other end into her computer and make her calls that way.

Best case scenario, however, would be that you set it up in Ohio for her and then she uses an ethernet connection directly to her router and a handset plugged into the MJ+. That way she never has to deal with software or hardware setups at all.

If I were trying to set it up remotely for a senior that's the way I would do it. You handle the billing and she just plugs in and uses it.

artesian79
join:2001-10-16
West Chester, OH

1 edit

artesian79

She gets the wireless service, but not any physical access to the router itself so I'm assuming that she'll connect via her laptop that I will have with me as well. I'll set up everything here then ship it to her with the configuration already set.

Or, are you saying the connection to the router can be via a wireless connection too (ie. not the physical port on the box)? If this is possible, what is the advantage of connecting it to the router vs the laptop?

Since the purchase includes a year of service, am I still going to need to provide a credit card?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I just thought of this. The laptop's ethernet port will be open for use if that helps as the laptop will connect to the LAN via wireless. I just assumed a USB port would be used.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

No, if that's her case where she has no physical access to the router, then she'll just have to make do with plugging it into her laptop's USB and plugging a handset into the RJ11. Plugging in a handset will definitely be less hassle for her than trying to set up the laptop's mic and speakers.

But yes, I think they require a valid CC# to set up the account, regardless of whether or not you purchased it without one.
bstone026
join:2012-08-04
Century, FL

bstone026

magic jack comes with 1 year of service included, when setting up I was not required to enter any type of payment info. Just plug it in, it might ask you what type of headset you want to use I.E. phone.(assuming your parents have setup number etc).