Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to kim

Mod

to kim

Re: Blast from the past

WKRP wasn't the most complicated show around, but it was well-written and the actors and actresses played their parts well. When I heard that it was going to released on DVD, I was interested in picking it up........until I found out all the music had been replaced with nameless dreck due to the license having expired on using copyright music.

Imagine how much the artists involved could have made if a deal to license it could have been worked out. I would think the sales of the DVDs would have been pretty good, given the lack of quality programming on the airwaves these days.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Kardinal:

When I heard that it was going to released on DVD, I was interested in picking it up........until I found out all the music had been replaced with nameless dreck due to the license having expired on using copyright music.

Yep, that's happened to a lot of TV shows. Shows like this, the music is relevant to the show.

Another one I can recall where the music change adversely affected the show was Quantum Leap where half the episodes have had their music replaced. In one episode, the original music was relevant to the plot itself! And in other episodes, Sam is dancing to the real music yet it was replaced with 'nameless dreck' for the DVD.

Some TV airings still have original music of some shows though, while some DVD's don't... I haven't figured that one out yet.
Expand your moderator at work

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

WKRP wasn't the most complicated show around, but it was well-written and the actors and actresses played their parts well. When I heard that it was going to released on DVD, I was interested in picking it up........until I found out all the music had been replaced with nameless dreck due to the license having expired on using copyright music.

Imagine how much the artists involved could have made if a deal to license it could have been worked out. I would think the sales of the DVDs would have been pretty good, given the lack of quality programming on the airwaves these days.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the artists either,depends, who owns the publishing rights.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal

The other sad part is WKRP could have made a killing in syndication ...reruns would have paid infinitely better than the first run. Sadly, it never happened because of those copyright issues.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

WKRP is in syndication. It's on all the time here. Has been for years.

Next episode is Sunday at 9 PM: "Love Returns" - Andy may have to leave WKRP when he rekindles his love for a touring rock star.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Awh...darn it. We never get to see it here in these parts.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Defect to the US.
Bonus: There are parts of this country where it never snows!

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Shut up! That's crazy talk there, Mister.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to Kardinal

to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

What a bummer. Thanks, archaic copyright laws...