uniqs
share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Core i5 vs Core i7. Do I need a Core i7?

I'm thinking of rebuilding my machine due to issues that I think are because of failing hardware. I have a Core i7 right now but when I rebuild it I'm thinking I might go with a Core i5.

The question is... Do I need a Core i7? I do some gaming, nothing big. I do multitasking a lot but it's mostly a lot of desktop apps, browser, email, etc.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
No you don't. Games don't well utilize more than four cores. The i5-3570k is regarded as the best "bang for buck" in terms of gaming performance. Not only is it a fast quad core, but also unlocked if you wish to OC it.

It replaced the i5-2500k, which will soon be discontinued, but it's probably the second-best if you can find it. I'd stick with Ivy Bridge and a Z77 mobo, however.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
said by Krisnatharok:

No you don't. Games don't well utilize more than four cores. The i5-3570k is regarded as the best "bang for buck" in terms of gaming performance. Not only is it a fast quad core, but also unlocked if you wish to OC it.

It replaced the i5-2500k, which will soon be discontinued, but it's probably the second-best if you can find it. I'd stick with Ivy Bridge and a Z77 mobo, however.

The 2600K is also good. Many Z77 boards can handle both.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I think most of the 70 series boards can handle the Sandy Bridge CPUs, but 60 series boards (e.g. the Z68s and P67s) need a BIOS flash to support Ivy Bridge CPUs.

The extra money for the 2600k seems a little superfluous for a gamer, considering it's $100 more than the assuredly faster i5-3570k. That $100 could step up his GPU a couple notches.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
Why I'm asking is because of these threads...
»[WIN7] High DPC Latency with High Network Traffic
»[WIN7] Recommended SSD System Tweaks?

The system slows to a crawl. Right now, even as I type this message, it seems like the machine I have now which is a Core i7-based machine, feels like it's running and dragging a mountain behind it.

I keep thinking that possible hardware failure is in my future.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to trparky
A friend of mind had the "my i7 is slow as molasses" problem about a month ago. After I suggested that the CPU might be overheating and causing it to slow itself down, she discovered that the heatsink was not tight against the CPU. Once she solved that, the system was a screamer once again.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to trparky
What version of CPU and mobo and ram do you have? PSU?

I didn't realize these topics were connected. I would start with the bare minimum (1 SSD/MHDD, 1 stick of ram, keyboard, mouse) and start testing stuff. Ensure your SATA controller is set to AHCI mode for the SSD. There may be some auto sleep/eco/green option in your BIOS that may be interfering with performance.

Memtest all the memory, grab SMART data for koitsu See Profile to look at, run Prime95 or LinX/Linpack on the CPU and Furmark or OCCT's GPU tester on the graphics card. Load the GPU and CPU simultaneously to stress-test test the PSU. Ensure in device manager (forget exactly where) that the computer cannot put USB devices and PCI lanes to sleep (I had a similar problem with the audio chime for USB connect/disconnect was constantly going off with subsequent slow-downs).

Monitors your temps throughout. Afterwards, take everything apart and look for burnt areas on the PCBs and bulging capacitors.

Considering wiping all your drives and using a fresh copy of Windows.

Anyways, this is what I would do if someone brought me their computer with a problem. If you have components you can swap afterwards, I'd try that too to see if you can isolate the cause. Ram and PSUs are fairly cheap nowadays, as are older GPUs. I'd suggest you consider grabbing some backup hardware for those "just in case" moments.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to trparky
Ensure the Z68 has a BIOS update/flash to support the 3450, which is an Ivy Bridge CPU.

I used that CPU with an Asrock Z77 Pro3 in my BIL/stepson's build and it flies with a GTX 570.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

A friend of mind had the "my i7 is slow as molasses" problem about a month ago. After I suggested that the CPU might be overheating and causing it to slow itself down, she discovered that the heatsink was not tight against the CPU. Once she solved that, the system was a screamer once again.

Another good idea. Re-seat the CPU and check for bent pins, then reapply the TIM and ensure good contact between the CPU and cooler. And don't use the stock cooler. I've found that in the case of the Ivy Bridge i5-3450, it is completely insufficient and has lead to PC instability. Switching to an aftermarket heat sink fixed that.
--

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
According to CPUz the Core Speed is 2900 and 2940 MHz. Temperatures are about 50C. From what I've been told, that's normal for an i7 930.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
At idle? That's pretty high, are you running a stock or aftermarket cooler? Also be aware you are running a first-gen i7, which is 3-4 years old at this point.

I've had my x58/i7-920 build for 3.5 years now. The CPU and mobo are still chugging along nicely, and I hope to get at least 2 more years out of them before I have to upgrade (barring hardware failure). That said, I also never ran the stock CPU cooler and used a CM V8 cooler, a Prolimatech Megahalems, and finally a Corsair H100.
--

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
reply to trparky
I'm looking for a motherboard that has native Intel SATA 3 support, not some junky add-on SATA 3 device.

My current system is an ASUS P6X58D Premium board with an Intel Core i7 930 CPU. The P6X58D uses a non-Intel SATA 3 controller, Marvell to be specific. The Marvell SATA controller is complete junk.
--
Tom

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
44C at idle, 50C under load.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by trparky:

44C at idle, 50C under load.

Oh, that's not bad at all then. i thought you meant 50 C idle. Disregard.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I think most of the 70 series boards can handle the Sandy Bridge CPUs, but 60 series boards (e.g. the Z68s and P67s) need a BIOS flash to support Ivy Bridge CPUs.

The extra money for the 2600k seems a little superfluous for a gamer, considering it's $100 more than the assuredly faster i5-3570k. That $100 could step up his GPU a couple notches.

Depends. I have seen a couple of sales recently on 2600K's in the sub-$300 zone.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
That's pretty high for a gaming CPU, when the 3570k is $190 at Microcenter and $230 at Newegg.

It all depends if the person in question is *just* gaming or does some other task that would take advantage of the extra threads.

Certainly a distributed computing enthusiast would go for the i7. But for a gamer, it's hard to justify the i7.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by Krisnatharok:

That's pretty high for a gaming CPU, when the 3570k is $190 at Microcenter and $230 at Newegg.

It all depends if the person in question is *just* gaming or does some other task that would take advantage of the extra threads.

Certainly a distributed computing enthusiast would go for the i7. But for a gamer, it's hard to justify the i7.

I have a 2600K and it's just fine. Well worth the money.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by DKS:

I have a 2600K and it's just fine. Well worth the money.

Alright, alright, man. Not trying to pick a fight. Just trying to point out that the quad core i5 is just as good for gamers and saves them about $100, which certainly can be put towards a more powerful GPU.
--

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
I reformatted my machine and installed new. I made sure that my primary partition was aligned properly by creating the partition myself with DISKPART in the setup routine.

Seems to no longer be effected by the issue anymore. So I may have very well saved myself $300 in doing so.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
Click for full size
High Interrupts
And the damn monster is back. ARG!!!!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Have you reseated the CPU and checked for bent pins?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
No, I've not done that. The seating of the CPU hasn't changed since I build the machine two years ago. This issue has only been a problem recently.