Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

camaroz

join:2002-10-23
Longwood, FL
reply to Guide_Tim

Re: [Internet] Internet Speed Upgrades?

grandfathering really should mean you get something new for the old price. Kind of how with my Virgin Mobile phone I still get the $25/month I signed up at, while new signups pay more.

bhcustomer45

@bhn.net
Grandfathering means the old rule continues to apply to some situations while a new rule applies to everything going forward. Same price, same service as before. It doesn't mean you keep the same price and get free service upgrades. Using your cell phone example, I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Same price per month I have always paid despite current data plans being more expensive. But it is for 3G service. I do not get a free upgrade to LTE on my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153
reply to camaroz
said by camaroz:

grandfathering really should mean you get something new for the old price. Kind of how with my Virgin Mobile phone I still get the $25/month I signed up at, while new signups pay more.

No thats not what grandfathering means...sorry.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

JuanMiguel

@bhn.net
reply to xendrome
You can't edit the term "grandfathering" to make it what YOU want it to mean.

The whole point of the term means that you can continue to enjoy what you had BEFORE the new rule.
You HAD 20/2...therefore you still have 20/2 for the same price even though it's not available to people signing up today.

You are grandfathered in...not UPGRADED in

botld92z9

join:2006-07-14
Winter Springs, FL
kudos:1
reply to camaroz
said by camaroz:

If that was the case, folks grandfathered in on ATTs unlimited iPhone data plan would be paying the same price they were before but would now have a data cap.

RUQRU
Premium
join:2005-07-30
Florida

2 edits
reply to BHNtechXpert
Click for full size
Had to call BHN to get upgrade

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
reply to xendrome
I got mine this morning and I am hitting well into the 60's (speed, not age ).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Nayan3:

I got mine this morning and I am hitting well into the 60's (speed, not age ).

:)

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to xendrome
Blah... I'm seeing an increase, but no where near 60. 45.85M down & 5.86M up in Port Orange. I've rebooted my modem twice.

BHNtechXpert... later I'll try hooking a laptop up directly to the Ubee, but maybe an issue with my DLink DGL-4500? Since I only use it for wired capabilities, it has been a great router for several years.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
did you call in and sign up for the 60 meg service? Its not an automatic bump.. its 5 bucks more than the current lightning service is.

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
said by tim tim tim:

did you call in and sign up for the 60 meg service? Its not an automatic bump.. its 5 bucks more than the current lightning service is.

Oh, no. I really don't use the speed I have now. Unless I get the "shiney speed itch" I'll keep what I have.

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
said by weaseled386:

said by tim tim tim:

Oh, no. I really don't use the speed I have now. Unless I get the "shiney speed itch" I'll keep what I have.

I didn't last 24 hours after posting this... I'm now on the new tier, and seeing speeds equal to everyone else posting screenshots

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by weaseled386:

said by weaseled386:

said by tim tim tim:

I didn't last 24 hours after posting this... I'm now on the new tier, and seeing speeds equal to everyone else posting screenshots

Too funny Thank you for upgrading though.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
reply to xendrome
LOL that was me too, I got 'speed envy'.

joshf

join:2013-01-21
Birmingham, AL

1 edit
reply to xendrome
Here's what I'm seeing in Birmingham after upgrading to 60/5 today... I'd love to see closer to 5 on the upstream. Should I be concerned that it's not?

EDIT: Scratch that. I forgot to adjust the router's QOS settings. These results look much better:

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to xendrome

swbrains

join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Nayan3
I really didn't *need* the extra speed either, but for $5/month more for an additional ~20 mbps, it was almost a no-brainer.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to xendrome
Click for full size
The modems at several of our locations (business class) must have received the new config sometime during the night. I got a bunch of "connection down" then "connection up" alerts.

When I tested this morning, we're definitely feeling the love now, to the tune of 80 Mbps.

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?

join:2003-10-01
Melbourne, FL
OK... I caved in. I don't need the higher speed but I wanted it (thanks BHNtechexpert

Davidt085

join:2012-06-18

1 edit
reply to xendrome
Here's what I get

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to xendrome
Reboot your modem...

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by BHNtechXpert:

Reboot your modem...

Gary are you telling all of us to reboot our modems ? Did we get another speed increase ?
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to xendrome
No that was just for him...

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
Gary, just curious, how frequently does the modem check for config updates?

Or does it only check when it goes offline then comes back up? We had a bunch of biz-class locations on Lightning drop offline overnight a few nights ago during what appeared to be system maintenance (all across the county, from New Port Richey to Zephyrhills, I got WhatsUp alerts for all of them) and the next morning they were all screaming at 80 Mbps downstream.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by rebus9:

Or does it only check when it goes offline then comes back up? We had a bunch of biz-class locations on Lightning drop offline overnight a few nights ago during what appeared to be system maintenance (all across the county, from New Port Richey to Zephyrhills, I got WhatsUp alerts for all of them) and the next morning they were all screaming at 80 Mbps downstream.

When we do updates as in your case we will force a modem reboot at some point to pull the new bin file hence the reason you observed the reboots. Did your pager go nuts on you in the middle of the night...sorry. Been there done that...the phone goes off when I go to bed...shy of the world coming to end it can wait until morning.
--

hostjunkies

join:2013-01-04
reply to xendrome
only 45/6 for me too in Palm Bay

»www.speedtest.net/result/2479585450.png

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by hostjunkies:

only 45/6 for me too in Palm Bay

»www.speedtest.net/result/2479585450.png

If you want the rr60 it is an upgrade, not automatic so unless you have called or requested that I upgrade you the speed you had two weeks ago is the speed you will have now...that said would you like me to upgrade you?
--

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to rebus9
Click for full size
said by rebus9:

Rebus how many channel's get bonded on those biz-class modems to achieve 80Mbps down ? I just noticed that my modem now bond's six channels now for my 60Mbps, are those biz-class modems bonding 8 channels hence the 10Mbps per QAM256 to get 80Mpbs ? Could you post some screen capture's.

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?

join:2003-10-01
Melbourne, FL
Click for full size
FWIW, I was just upgraded to the new 60 Mbps Lightning and I still only see 4 channels which are bonded.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to xendrome
Thats correct...you only need 4 channels