Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by BHNtechXpert:

Reboot your modem...

Gary are you telling all of us to reboot our modems ? Did we get another speed increase ?
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to xendrome

No that was just for him...

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

Gary, just curious, how frequently does the modem check for config updates?

Or does it only check when it goes offline then comes back up? We had a bunch of biz-class locations on Lightning drop offline overnight a few nights ago during what appeared to be system maintenance (all across the county, from New Port Richey to Zephyrhills, I got WhatsUp alerts for all of them) and the next morning they were all screaming at 80 Mbps downstream.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by rebus9:

Or does it only check when it goes offline then comes back up? We had a bunch of biz-class locations on Lightning drop offline overnight a few nights ago during what appeared to be system maintenance (all across the county, from New Port Richey to Zephyrhills, I got WhatsUp alerts for all of them) and the next morning they were all screaming at 80 Mbps downstream.

When we do updates as in your case we will force a modem reboot at some point to pull the new bin file hence the reason you observed the reboots. Did your pager go nuts on you in the middle of the night...sorry. Been there done that...the phone goes off when I go to bed...shy of the world coming to end it can wait until morning.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

hostjunkies

join:2013-01-04
reply to xendrome

only 45/6 for me too in Palm Bay

»www.speedtest.net/result/2479585450.png

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by hostjunkies:

only 45/6 for me too in Palm Bay

»www.speedtest.net/result/2479585450.png

If you want the rr60 it is an upgrade, not automatic so unless you have called or requested that I upgrade you the speed you had two weeks ago is the speed you will have now...that said would you like me to upgrade you?
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to rebus9

Click for full size
said by rebus9:

Rebus how many channel's get bonded on those biz-class modems to achieve 80Mbps down ? I just noticed that my modem now bond's six channels now for my 60Mbps, are those biz-class modems bonding 8 channels hence the 10Mbps per QAM256 to get 80Mpbs ? Could you post some screen capture's.

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?

join:2003-10-01
Melbourne, FL

Click for full size
FWIW, I was just upgraded to the new 60 Mbps Lightning and I still only see 4 channels which are bonded.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to xendrome

Thats correct...you only need 4 channels

sambowomble
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium
join:2009-11-23
Murfreesboro, TN

1 recommendation

reply to bigdaddy

I think your modem is just *special*.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

said by sambowomble:

I think your modem is just *special*.

ROFL

Davidt085

join:2012-06-18
reply to xendrome

Click for full size

canta4dit

join:2012-02-24
Orlando, FL
reply to xendrome

Gary,
Can I get the upgrade? I posted in the direct forums as well.
Thanks

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by canta4dit:

Gary,
Can I get the upgrade? I posted in the direct forums as well.
Thanks

Yep I think you're done but will double check.

PowerMatt

join:2003-01-09
Ocala, FL
reply to xendrome

I upgraded to the 60 megabit tier today. I discovered that my router is wholly inadequate to handle this much speed. Speed tests are one thing, but when I try something sustained (like downloading a multi-gigabyte game off of steam), Tomato reports my router's CPU usage as maxed out. For the record, my router is a Netgear WNR3500L running Tomato. I can only get about 5.5 megabytes/sec before the CPU gets nailed to the wall.

This isn't a support request, just something to put out there for people that may be wondering why they're not getting the full 60 megabits.

For the more technically inclined, you might do what I did. Build a router box around this: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13128585

Add a case and RAM and you're looking at $200. Run pfSense from a flash drive and you've got a high-end router for not much more than other "high end" routers.

Flashfox

Melbourne, FL

1 recommendation

...or buy an ASUS N56U or higher router Would it not be cheaper that rolling your own?

Mind you, I am into ham radio so I build my own stuff when it's feasible. I also root and customize my Android phones. But a router? I rather buy what's been proven. My N56U has no problems sustaining the 60 Mbps download rate.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Flashfox:

...or buy an ASUS N56U or higher router Would it not be cheaper that rolling your own?

Mind you, I am into ham radio so I build my own stuff when it's feasible. I also root and customize my Android phones. But a router? I rather buy what's been proven. My N56U has no problems sustaining the 60 Mbps download rate.

And with a Wan to Lan max of 802mbps I don't think you will growing out of it anytime soon
--

PowerMatt

join:2003-01-09
Ocala, FL

1 edit
reply to Flashfox

Cheaper? Sure. As flexible? Not really.

What it really came down to is that the WNR3500L was getting a bit long in the tooth. I had been thinking about building my own router for a while, so it was a good excuse to go for it.

Pfsense is also a very proven router distro of BSD. It's lightweight, fast, extremely stable, and can run from something as small as a 512 megabyte flash drive. I've worked with it in the past and have no qualms about putting it in control of my home network's internet access.

-edit-

And don't get me wrong, the RT-N56U is a great router. I just wanted to do my own thing. Call me weird if you like.

Flashfox

Melbourne, FL

I can't call you weird PowerMatt as I am just as bad with amateur radio stuff, my phone and my computer

OK... nuff said, back to the subject at hand. Today's test:

ANOMALY --> I wanted to share an anomaly I noted on my end. I identified the culprit and I am working with the OEM to fix this:

- U/D speeds match what you see above. It is a "straight line", that is a constant speed which means a good circuit.

- After a few fays, it becomes very erratic. Many peaks (300 Mbps+) and valleys (0 bps), average DL speed drops, etc.

- The cause: AVG Internet Security 2013.

- My temporary solution: I disable the AV/FW, wait a few seconds then re-enable it. I am now back to the constant speeds.

- The proof: I encounter the problem on a regular basis and it can be reproduced at will as long as I don't reset the process. I just need to deactivate and reactivate the AVG IS and the problem is resolved.

This pattern occurs ever 2-3 days. Now I do leave my computer ON 24/7 so the likely culprit is a memory leak with their app. I am in contact with AVG but nothing up to now.

Just wanted to share

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to xendrome

You should NEVER test speeds with your FW or AV running...you of course have nicely demonstrated why

Flashfox

Melbourne, FL

Actually, what I demonstrated is that AVG IS 2013 has a flaw... some form of memory leak. By the way, AVG is looking into this now.

Note that the speed test worked just fine till the AVG IS 2013 update and it still works if I restart the app. The problem is with AVG. This being said, anything which might interfere with data transfer can have an effect during speed tests. So Gary is right... but it's not an absolute

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Flashfox:

Actually, what I demonstrated is that AVG IS 2013 has a flaw... some form of memory leak. By the way, AVG is looking into this now.

Note that the speed test worked just fine till the AVG IS 2013 update and it still works if I restart the app. The problem is with AVG. This being said, anything which might interfere with data transfer can have an effect during speed tests. So Gary is right... but it's not an absolute

Flash hate to do this to ya buddy but they have been aware of this for years...this issue with AVG is not new. I hope you have success in getting it resolved where countless others have not..best of luck to you and anybody that uses it.
--

sambowomble
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN

Ive been a happy customer with Avast. Its free and have had no issues regarding speeds.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by sambowomble:

Ive been a happy customer with Avast. Its free and have had no issues regarding speeds.

Just don't let me catch you allowing it to run while you are speed testing and sending me a whacked out result
--

Flashfox

Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Hmm... thanks? I wasn't aware and I have been using AVG IS for many years now. I searched their forum but didn't find any references to this issue. This is the first time I encountered this "memory leak" problem so it wasn't that pervasive.

Maybe it was the change of hardware I recently made (new MOBO, CPU, Video, etc.) and their software, but I wasn't seeing this before.

In any event, if they don't do anything, I know the work around and come time to renew, I will not.

Oh and I agree... disable AV/FW during speed tests

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to xendrome

It's not a memory leak that I am aware of...just a constant skewing of test results either positive or negative.

sambowomble
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN

1 edit

Hey that gives me an idea....kidding i know better than that lol

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by sambowomble:

Hey that gives me an idea....kidding i know netter than that lol

You wouldn't dare lol

Flashfox

Melbourne, FL
reply to sambowomble

Me too... some of the positive swings brought me up to over 186 Mbps LOL

Gary --> It is a memory leak as the problem persists until you reboot or reset the AV/FW by turning it off then back on thus flushing its cache. I changed my search parameters (fine tweaked them) and started reading about these problems. You are right, it's been there for a while.