how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to W7PSK

Re: [Rant] Where to Report Severe RFI eminating from Comcast Cab

Comcast doesnt use anything below 5MHz. Why would something in the MF band be their responsibility?

You say its raidating 2 blocks away? Sounds like a pretty strong signal. Since the outside of the cable is a shield, and if plugged into a device is probably tied to ground most likely the 'cable line' is showing the signal on it since it is so close to the source, assuming the house is the source.

Fought with PoCo many of times about their equipment failing and causing hum bars on televisions in the area. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 of their techs to finally see the light and fix the issue.

Maybe the best person to have out is not a contractor for the power company but an actual employee of the company.

W7PSK
Just Me
Premium
join:2000-12-04
Everett, WA

2 edits
Anything attached to the cable could also radiate. I cannot find any reporting issues page on Comacast. Doing a Search for Radio Frequency Interference reporting yields me several Xfinity Programs to order.

You see this is the problem Consumers have. No company wants to help they only want to blame each other and hope the people go away.

Nobody wants to solve anymore

Guess Ill just file a complaint to the FCC and let them sort it out.

--
Rick Scott
Everett, Washington

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

1 edit
could be something as simple as grow lights. The alarm? I dont think so.. Something would have to be very wrong with the gear to give off RFI at such a low freq. Any electronic device could potentially fail and cause harmful interference.

Grow lights are known to cause major issues. They frequently can cause trouble with our modems which return around 25-30 MHz. When there is a house that is causing a noise issue, a tech would hook up a meter that is going to display 5-45 Mhz. If noise is displayed then it isn't there. My rig also has a leakage sniffer on it with a GPS antenna and a WIFI antenna to upload automatically. It monitors a specific tagger frequency (121.2625 MHz here) to locate leaks as we drive around. If neither one of these systems are showing a leak or ingress on the system, then there isn't much Comcast could do. If there was noise on the line that could potentially cause a degradation of service then Comcast could disconnect the line in repairs could be performed. ( if customer is a CDV customer it gets a little more difficult). Your average tech, and most if not all network techs wont have sniffer gear to go down that low.

If the noise is for sure coming from that house, its not surprising that a braided piece of cable is carrying the frequencies on it. Most likely the shield is doing what its supposed to do and the customer doesn't even notice the problem on their end. Or they do but dont want to call someone in. I've been to many homes that had 'off limits' rooms.

** just a a thought, what if the house is not even a comcast customer? If the line is terminated at the pole/ped, or even if its completely disconnected the line would still potentially carry the RFI.
FCC complaint may be an option that would have some more teeth.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by rendrenner:

could be something as simple as grow lights.

** just a a thought, what if the house is not even a comcast customer? If the line is terminated at the pole/ped, or even if its completely disconnected the line would still potentially carry the RFI.
FCC complaint may be an option that would have some more teeth.

That nearby house could either:
A. Be stealing cable TV (usually a huge ingress/leakage issue)
B. Operating a Marijuana growing operation.
C. Both

Considering they don't want a tech in there, I would highly suspect illegal activities. I would call local law enforcement (preferably anonymously) and have them set up surveillance on that house.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
Iowa,

If it's an illegal marijuana growing operation, the electric utility would probably see an unusually large electricity usage unless the "residents" bypassed the meter. The cops could get a court order to see long term electric use.