uniqs

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS

Re: DTV illegal in Canada? What is the legal justification?

said by DKS:

Yes, it is illegal. The silliest argument is "Everybody does it".

Too bad its fact. (Much to your dismay, because everyone should be obeying laws that are there to protect business models and nothing more)

Also, "Limited in distribution" includes the whole GTA, I wouldn't call that "limited" by any means.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by Spike5:

"Limited in distribution" includes the whole GTA, I wouldn't call that "limited" by any means.

The GTA is just a tiny part of Canada.
Area of GTA ~ 7,124 sq. km »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr ··· nto_Area
Area of Canada ~ 9,985,000 sq. km »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada
GTA comprises about 0.07% of Canada by area

GTA population is about 6MM »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Toronto_Area
Canada population close to 35MM »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada
GTA comprises about 17% of Canada's population

Either way, it's pretty limited.
A 17% shareholding might get you 1 or 2 seats on a Board of Directors consisting of 10-12 members. Hardly significant.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Spike5

to Spike5
said by Spike5:

said by DKS:

Yes, it is illegal. The silliest argument is "Everybody does it".

Too bad its fact. (Much to your dismay, because everyone should be obeying laws that are there to protect business models and nothing more)

Don't know much about ethics, do you?

Also, "Limited in distribution" includes the whole GTA, I wouldn't call that "limited" by any means.

Compared to the rest of Canada, it is.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

And the other 83% also lives pretty close to the US border, for the most part.

Spike5
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Spike5 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Ethics also works both ways, and as long as its all one-sided against the public, its fair-game.

The TPP for example also wants to remove cancon requirements.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Ian1

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by MaynardKrebs:

And the other 83% also lives pretty close to the US border, for the most part.

But largely out of signal range of US TV. That's why cable TV became so popular after antennas. The HDTV revolution has brought it full circle.
DKS

DKS to Spike5

to Spike5
said by Spike5:

said by DKS:

Ethics also works both ways, and as long as its all one-sided against the public, its fair-game.

The TPP for example also wants to remove cancon requirements.

What is "against the public"? It is a foundationally capitalistic business model based on paying for distribution.

Spike5
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Spike5

Premium Member

said by DKS:

What is "against the public"? It is a foundationally capitalistic business model based on paying for distribution.

Okay, so American DTV on Canadian soil is illegal and can throw you in jail,
yet at the same time the user can simply use P2P and get the same (and more) content (all commercial-free and time-shifted), and fall under civil reaching laws rather than criminal.

Yes, makes sense to me too.

EDIT: Yes, I know in the P2P case the incumbents still get to pilfer you on internet costs.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Actually, the model you're describing is quite far from capitalistic. So the Government of Canada can sell the right to broadcast a signal to me? Says who? At what point did I give that right to them for them to re-sell it? Did they buy the right from me before re-selling it? If so, I'm still waiting for my cut.

Strictly capitalistic would be for anyone that can afford to launch a satellite to compete with others in getting me to open my chequebook to subscribe to the services of that broadcast. I really don't care if the company is based in the US, Canada, or Latvia.
olive403
join:2012-10-10
Canada

olive403

ok so its illegal but dishnetwork still accepts canadian credit cards....... allows SLING access from Canada.

So its illegal for me to be a verizon wireless customer ROAMING in Canada and open up VERIZON TV on my mobile phone?

Verizon EVEN ACCEPTS CANADIANS with CANADIAN CREDIT FILE>....