spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

"Accidental" dual cut?

"Never ascribe to malice what is adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon.

But seriously, how does a redundant fiber loop get "accidently" whacked on both ends?

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

1 recommendation

WHT

Re: "Accidental" dual cut?

said by elray:

"Never ascribe to malice what is adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon.

Sign in swimming pool reactor room at Arco, Idaho National Laboratory, circa 1965.

"Nothing is fool proof. Fools are ingenious."
JJV
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

»www.komonews.com/news/lo ··· ideo&c=y

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to elray

to elray
More often than you would think. I bet someone in Alaska Airlines IT department got to say "I told you so" today.

If you are running something that's this important NEVER put all of your eggs in one basket. I can thing of many reasons besides fiber cuts why this is a bad network design for something that's so mission critical.
hga
join:2008-05-09
Joplin, MO

hga to elray

to elray

said by elray:

[...]

But seriously, how does a redundant fiber loop get "accidently" whacked on both ends?

Depends on the technology.

One I'm familiar with has a ring structure, it's designed so that with one cut in the ring everyone can still talk to each other. But if you had a second cut, you'd get a partition, with the nodes on each segment being able to talk to each other but not to nodes on the other segment.

The dual fibers would be additional redundancy on top of this, so that if a repeater or whatever fails, the other fiber can carry all the load.

However all of the above is merely semi-informed speculation, without knowing the architecture I can't go any further, I can just say the above posited architecture would be a good one and would very seldom fail outright.

And of course as others have noted Alaska Airlines perhaps should have not been so dependent on a single vendor, but that's a $$$ vs. risk judgement and one they still might be ahead on.

sdf
@rr.com

sdf

Anon

does token ring still exsist?