spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SJtech
@comcast.net

SJtech to pclover

Anon

to pclover

Re: Why would Comcast stall on speed upgrades for my area?

The primary reason why Santa Cruz is slow to upgrade is the City Government of Santa Cruz. Same as LG over the hill from you, it was at least a year after the valley was upgraded, LG though it might be a good idea to allow Comcast to upgrade. It has nothing to do with "the lack of competition". Comcast just can't go out there and and do their thing with permission and support from the city.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 edit

gaforces (banned) to pclover

to pclover
»www.Cruzio.com has adsl2+ 24-40 Mbps and some faster fiber plans available if you are in range and/or can afford it.
The velocity plans have phone service included.

As for comcasts reasons, I dont believe its all about the city slowing them down as much as franchise agreement contracts.
They can use upgrades as leverage for concessions in thier next 10 year franchise agreements.

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

1 edit

pclover

said by gaforces:

»www.Cruzio.com has adsl2+ 24-40 Mbps and some faster fiber plans available if you are in range and/or can afford it.
The velocity plans have phone service included.

I actually looked at Cruzio but wasn't impressed by there network. Also the phone lines are not good in my apartment.

»as.robtex.com/as11994.html#graph vs »as.robtex.com/as33651.html#graph

Looks like they only have bandwidth from AboveNet and Cogent (Who really sucks)

would mean higher latency
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned)

Its been about 4 years since I was on thier dsl network. It was always low latency at that time.
I'd think its better now with the peering arrangements they have with sonic/hurricane and others.

pclover
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover

said by gaforces:

Its been about 4 years since I was on thier dsl network. It was always low latency at that time.
I'd think its better now with the peering arrangements they have with sonic/hurricane and others.

It doesn't look like any of there peering agreements have changed. Doing a few traceroutes form looking glasses they all use abovenet or cogent.

KNXDude
@naismc.com

KNXDude

Anon

I used to work for Comcast until a layoff in Feb. When I saw what you are seeing, 3 bonded downstream channels it was a configuration issue where Motorola had not setup the CMTS correctly for modems other than their own. My Ubee wasn't able to see the correct channels. Once that was corrected I gained my 4th downstream and had full service. Get a tech out and have them run a home cert to see if it passes at the pole, house box, and modem. It should pass all three.

pclover
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover

said by KNXDude :

I used to work for Comcast until a layoff in Feb. When I saw what you are seeing, 3 bonded downstream channels it was a configuration issue where Motorola had not setup the CMTS correctly for modems other than their own. My Ubee wasn't able to see the correct channels. Once that was corrected I gained my 4th downstream and had full service. Get a tech out and have them run a home cert to see if it passes at the pole, house box, and modem. It should pass all three.

This doesn't help me at all. I have 6 DS Channels on my node but my modem can only bond to 4.

I have 3 Upstream channels which seems pretty common.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to whfsdude

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

said by pclover:

What would cause Comcast to stall in my area now?
[att=1]

Lack of competition. Only the NE Division (NE + Mid-Atlantic) got the upgrades due to being a highly competitive market.

not quite true, in midwest (Chicago area) there is 105mb tier available