spc
Search similar:

uniqs
boondockEVDO
join:2012-09-25
USA

boondockEVDO

VM Broadband2go considering going to Millinicom, questions

I am using the VM B2G MC760 grandfathered plan of 5GB @ 3G speeds, anything after is throttled down to about 32kb/s download rates for $40 a month.

Millenicom uses Verizon for their 20GB advanced data plan, aye?

I am just wondering how I can figure out if I would have a good signal & if this service would be superior to VM B2G (I hear that VM customers get the lower speeds if more Sprint customers need service on a tower) does Millinicom experience this with verizon?
Lamiel
join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI

Lamiel

No, Millenicom customers are not treated in the same way. As far as connection preference is concerned, Millenicom users are fully equal with Verizon's own. Tis a wonderful thing...

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to boondockEVDO

to boondockEVDO
Virgin Mobile is the lowest QOS on a Sprint tower. Throttling is a regular practice. Been there, done that......

ive had sprint thru millenicom, and while the local tower here sometimes is strained, its a much better experience than VM.
Expand your moderator at work
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

1 edit

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Re: VM Broadband2go considering going to Millinicom, questions

I don't think Compuguybna worries about Sprint, he has a high speed cable connection. I do thank him for his continued contributions to the forum. Jack, won't be long for you to have high speed cable with Metrocast. Port Haywood is already lit up.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Jim_in_VA:

I don't think Compuguybna worries about Sprint, he has a high speed cable connection. I do thank him for his continued contributions to the forum.

If he has a high speed cable connection curious as to his intentions here. Sprint wireless or VM should not be of any concern or interest to him...
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

1 edit

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Its like anyone else. Moved along but still supports the community. I no longer use Sprint, I use the local WISP, but still support this forum. I do maintain a Sprint and Verizon mobile account however.
boondockEVDO
USA

boondockEVDO

I live in a pretty rural area, I am wondering how much I am being neglected compared to if I was Sprint/Millenicom instead of VirginMobile. Is there any ways to try to find out how/when I am being held back?

Would it effect my signal strength recieved when I am being back seated to sprint?

Just wanting to try to figure out if I will see good gains for switching to providers. I sort of enjoy the low cost of the grand fathered plan I currently have.

Perhaps they offer a refund service if I don't find the connection to my liking

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by boondockEVDO:

I live in a pretty rural area, I am wondering how much I am being neglected compared to if I was Sprint/Millenicom instead of VirginMobile. Is there any ways to try to find out how/when I am being held back?

Would it effect my signal strength recieved when I am being back seated to sprint?

Just wanting to try to figure out if I will see good gains for switching to providers. I sort of enjoy the low cost of the grand fathered plan I currently have.

Perhaps they offer a refund service if I don't find the connection to my liking

I don't think that living in a rural area is necessarily effecting you. I'm also in a rural area. What kind of speeds are you getting? I've heard the VM stuff but I'm not sure I understand why or how Sprint could be treating VM differently on the same towers. Maybe Jim_in _VA can comment.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Millenicom will give you the exact same service as if you went with Sprint directly. With the benefit of no contract and 50GB data compared to 5GB. Virgin Mobile cannot roam on Verizon towers, Millenicom can, that's a big deal if you are traveling. A Millenicom plan is superior to any other plan available. That includes their Verizon plans.
boondockEVDO
USA

boondockEVDO

My connection is pretty odd. For the past 4+ months I have been getting -110 to -118 with my modem taped to the window (best reception in house). I can get normal speeds (32KB/S downloads when throttled) and ~1meg sometimes when unthrottled.

However today suddenly my card has been getting up to -94 to -95 signal off and on which is very unusual.

By rural area I meant that I don't think my tower is as stressed as one in a larger town would be. The only people really using the tower would be primarily motorists I believe.

I have ran ping tests via cmd and when pinging speedtest.net or google, I usually get around 160-250 ping which is pretty good in my opinion. The only problem is that atleast once a minute the ping spikes up to 1-2k+ for one ping line, then goes back to normal. I think that ping spike is what is causing me to be unable to play online games and run other real time applications like skype or voice comms like Ventrillo smoothly lately.

Any ideas?
boondockEVDO

boondockEVDO

My connection is pretty odd. For the past 4+ months I have been getting -110 to -118 with my modem taped to the window (best reception in house). I can get normal speeds (32KB/S downloads when throttled) and ~1meg sometimes when unthrottled.

However today suddenly my card has been getting up to -94 to -95 signal off and on which is very unusual.

By rural area I meant that I don't think my tower is as stressed as one in a larger town would be. The only people really using the tower would be primarily motorists I believe.

I have ran ping tests via cmd and when pinging speedtest.net or google, I usually get around 160-250 ping which is pretty good in my opinion. The only problem is that atleast once a minute the ping spikes up to 1-2k+ for one ping line, then goes back to normal. I think that ping spike is what is causing me to be unable to play online games and run other real time applications like skype or voice comms like Ventrillo smoothly lately.

I drove to the tower and got -60 to -70 signal and a decent EC/IO (around 4.5-6) but still got the 1-2k ping spikes every so often.

Any ideas if this could be caused by VM limiting me for Sprint customers?

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

1 edit

compuguybna to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
Yes, jack, you don't own the DSL Millenicom forum....But you sometimes act as if you do, with your snide comments and policing efforts. As Jim stated, others have acquired faster methods of connectivity. however, I once had Millenicom(for two years actually--sprint and verizon), and once actively participated in the forums. Just because we don't have the form of connectivity talked about in the forums, we are still active members and still can contribute when others have questions. I participate in about 7 different forums here. If others posts bother you, there is a ignore function in the control panel which will effectively prevent you from seeing their posts. Have a great evening!
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Jim_in_VA:

I don't think Compuguybna worries about Sprint, he has a high speed cable connection. I do thank him for his continued contributions to the forum.

If he has a high speed cable connection curious as to his intentions here. Sprint wireless or VM should not be of any concern or interest to him...

compuguybna

compuguybna to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
thanks Jim. If Charter for some reason pulled out of this area, I'd reconsider Millenicom in a sec.
said by Jim_in_VA:

I don't think Compuguybna worries about Sprint, he has a high speed cable connection. I do thank him for his continued contributions to the forum. Jack, won't be long for you to have high speed cable with Metrocast. Port Haywood is already lit up.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I've heard the VM stuff but I'm not sure I understand why or how Sprint could be treating VM differently on the same towers. Maybe Jim_in _VA can comment.

I can try to help... Sprint contract and Mcom Sprint plans are routed the same (at this point).

You are assigned an IP address dynamically from sprints dhcp pool... you can receive incoming requests to this IP... for example some people use web based security cams. The way many of these work is they open a port on your internet connection and wait for you to connect. This works on sprint/mcom sprint connections because you have a real IP address.

Virgin mobile assigns you a dark (un-used but valid) IP address... and proxies your connection to an external IP address. This makes normal programs work fine (think of it as being behind a firewall of sorts) BUT those security cams that open a port will never really get a reply back.

I have also heard that CDMA has a priority index that Virgin mobile gets the lower end of... I suspect that the towers backhaul gets saturated before that ever becomes an issue

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

Millenicom will give you the exact same service as if you went with Sprint directly. With the benefit of no contract and 50GB data compared to 5GB. Virgin Mobile cannot roam on Verizon towers, Millenicom can, that's a big deal if you are traveling. A Millenicom plan is superior to any other plan available. That includes their Verizon plans.

Thanks Jim I think that might clear it up for him. Yes Millenicom Sprint is unbeatable for people like me.
Jack_in_VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

Yes, jack, you don't own the DSL Millenicom forum....But you sometimes act as if you do, with your snide comments and policing efforts. As Jim stated, others have acquired faster methods of connectivity. however, I once had Millenicom(for two years actually--sprint and verizon), and once actively participated in the forums. Just because we don't have the form of connectivity talked about in the forums, we are still active members and still can contribute when others have questions. I participate in about 7 different forums here. If others posts bother you, there is a ignore function in the control panel which will effectively prevent you from seeing their posts. Have a great evening!

Yes you have and do participate in other forums and you are a former Millenicom subscriber however most who move on to faster services don't have a need to continue to have a large presence on a forum for a former service provider. The difference with Jim is he provides accurate information to those having problems or asking advice on service. You only have your experiences with Verizon and Sprint through Millenicom during the time you were subscribed to Millenicom's service. Prior to that you were struggling with Hughesnet Satellite service problems.

I spent some time using search to review your posts all the way back to when we were on Hughesnet. Others reading these posts might want to do some research also. Just type compuguybna in the search bar and hit enter.

I've followed you for years way back to your problems with Hughesnet and your battles not only with other posters but Hughesnet, BBB and your Attorney General.

So compuguybna don't be coming on here from out of nowhere and start lecturing me and trying to embarrass me with the other posters like your post above and bringing Jim into it.

Have a good day.
Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I've heard the VM stuff but I'm not sure I understand why or how Sprint could be treating VM differently on the same towers. Maybe Jim_in _VA can comment.

I can try to help... Sprint contract and Mcom Sprint plans are routed the same (at this point).

You are assigned an IP address dynamically from sprints dhcp pool... you can receive incoming requests to this IP... for example some people use web based security cams. The way many of these work is they open a port on your internet connection and wait for you to connect. This works on sprint/mcom sprint connections because you have a real IP address.

Virgin mobile assigns you a dark (un-used but valid) IP address... and proxies your connection to an external IP address. This makes normal programs work fine (think of it as being behind a firewall of sorts) BUT those security cams that open a port will never really get a reply back.

I have also heard that CDMA has a priority index that Virgin mobile gets the lower end of... I suspect that the towers backhaul gets saturated before that ever becomes an issue

Thankd dib22. I think I have a better understanding of the problem with VM now. Is it like "Hide my IP" where they route you to a fake IP? That does slow down the connection from what I've seen.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

to Jack_in_VA
Jack, I am shocked that you have so much time on your hands that you made the effort to pull up my posts on Hughesnet from over three years ago(or any other forum or posts I've made). I hope that what you read in your extra extra spare time provided you some informational facts and enjoyable reading material. I'm flattered that you are such a follower of my posts.
said by Jack_in_VA:

Yes you have and do participate in other forums and you are a former Millenicom subscriber however most who move on to faster services don't have a need to continue to have a large presence on a forum for a former service provider. The difference with Jim is he provides accurate information to those having problems or asking advice on service. You only have your experiences with Verizon and Sprint through Millenicom during the time you were subscribed to Millenicom's service. Prior to that you were struggling with Hughesnet Satellite service problems.

I spent some time using search to review your posts all the way back to when we were on Hughesnet. Others reading these posts might want to do some research also. Just type compuguybna in the search bar and hit enter.

I've followed you for years way back to your problems with Hughesnet and your battles not only with other posters but Hughesnet, BBB and your Attorney General.

So compuguybna don't be coming on here from out of nowhere and start lecturing me and trying to embarrass me with the other posters like your post above and bringing Jim into it.

Have a good day.

compuguybna

to Jack_in_VA
I think that forums I visit and participate in are for me to determine.....
said by Jack_in_VA:

Expand your moderator at work