Search similar:

uniqs
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

Solar Eruption has any affect on internet?

»news.yahoo.com/solar-eru ··· 159.html

Will this cause any problems for the internet? Is Cable internet affected by this? I'm on a DOCSIS 3.0 HFC connection. I have Performance 12-15mbps (20 with PB)

Edit: I do have a wireless router, Netgear WNDR 37000 hook up to a SB6121 modem.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

»news.yahoo.com/solar-eru ··· 159.html

Will this cause any problems for the internet? Is Cable internet affected by this? I'm on a DOCSIS 3.0 HFC connection. I have Performance 12-15mbps (20 with PB)

Edit: I do have a wireless router, Netgear WNDR 37000 hook up to a SB6121 modem.

I think that the article to which you provided a link answers your question.
said by NASA :

Coronal mass ejections are the most powerful explosions on the sun. When aimed directly at Earth, strong CME events "can affect electronic systems in satellites and on Earth," NASA officials said.

But CME events traveling at similar speeds to the one observed Thursday have not typically triggered major problems on Earth, or in satellites orbiting the planet, in the past, they added.

Did you read the article before posting, ?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
I am not sure if it disrupts the internet or wireless routers, but it sure does effect the TV portion of the system.

Strange the article didn't mention the one we had Sunday afternoon. That was a fairly big one.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to Madtown

Anon

to Madtown
The solar eruption can interfere with sat to earth transmissions and vice versa and we get a reminder about the period they happen every fall in an e-mail for Trouble calls for TV [since they ultimately feed off satellites to us for cable networks]. They do not interfere with Wireless routers in you house however, as to the internet itself if you are going international, your path MAY ultimately include being bounced off a satellite to get there, if you are staying within the continental US, it should not be effecting that.

If you are having a problem with your wireless it is more likley to be terrestrial interference [aka local to you not from outer space] step one would be to google "ssider" from metageeks and run it to map out your spectrum and any interference from neighbors. Once this is done keep in mind that wireless house phones may also interfere with wireless network data as well as anything else that runs in that specified frequency range [2.4 [only 11 channels] or 5.7 Ghz [hundred+ of channels and less likley to get interference but higher OTA attenuation aka does not reach as far as 2.4Ghz] IIRC