spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ufcnut

@aol.com

Some VDSL questions for Smith6612 and other members.

Hi, Here's my situation, Like a lot of you I have had no access to HSI ever. To my surprise this week I learned that frontier has just installed a DSLAM at the remote terminal down the township road. I went out to talk to the engineer working there and he said that it's VDSL equipment and that they also just brought fiber over and fed into it. I couldn't believe it. Brand new fiber and brand new circuits!! This is a rural area and I'd like to know if anyone on here knows about VDSL being installed in rural areas. (Maybe something to do with the takeover agreement with verizon.) I'd like to ask Smith 6612 if there is any diagrams to give an idea of the speed declines with distance of VDSL. Are the new types of dsl able to hold anymore bandwidth longer down the line? I think I'm exactly 3 miles out from the RT. What speeds can I expect?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I believe the takeover agreements set upon Frontier in order to buy Verizon's network for your region had mention of employing DSL equipment and offering up a specific minimal speed to homes. I'm sure I could find out the specific by searching though.

Anyways, with VDSL (ideally, VDSL2 or re-VDSL2) the bandwidth curve per foot is much sharper. VDSL is certainly capable of running at high speeds, up to 100Mbps in both directions depending on the technology however if you have lower quality copper or even higher gauge wiring it will cause VDSL's speed to fall quickly. This is because VDSL relies on higher frequencies which attenuate quicker, which is something that would normally happen with distance anyways. For VDSL2 or re-VDSL2 the technology would have about the same reach as ADSL2+ which can be anywhere from 3 to 5 miles of copper depending on how well the plant is running and what other tricks Frontier uses to push the technology outward. The closer you are, the more likely you are to exceed what you'd normally get on ADSL+ for both download and upload speed. Just remember though, the faster the DSL gets, the shorter and in better condition the copper must be for the service to work well.

I've attached a graph that demonstrates the basic sense of how speed vs distance applies to each tech.

Congrats on finally getting DSL however!

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to ufcnut

I am about 3 miles out as well and I am getting 3.6mb/s down and ~850Kbps up.

Expect some bouncing and retraining in the first few months and then once the line is completely sorted it should stabilize at close to your max speed.

I was able to connect a couple of times at 4mbps but only for an hour or so and then the modem would have to be rebooted and I would see speeds from 3mbps to 3.8mps. 3.6 seems to the best stable speed available at my distance and line quality and it has been consistent at this speed for weeks now.

Getting your modem as close to the nid as possible is essential! If your house has an older NID (10 years or older) and you are having trouble connecting ask to have it replaced.

I would have a short wire from the nid into your home to a filter and your modem and then the rest of the house wired from the filter or even better get a NID with the filter built in and a dedicated line to your modem.

ufcnut

@aol.com
reply to Smith6612

Thanks for the info guys! Kinda disappointing, I had no idea VDSL had pretty much the same drop off as ADSL. I have no idea how frontier expects to compete in the general area because cable is getting closer all the time. There is also verizon wireless 4g coming to the local tower. Do you think it's much faster than dsl? It'd be nice if frontier would just get on with running FTTH.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I'd love FTTH, but everyone knows that at the moment, Frontier doesn't seem to have quite the capital to invest in such a network or for that matter the will to do it. Notice how they've been treating the FiOS product initially when they received it (though it seems like it's seeing some better days). LTE has some potential and would definitely be quicker transfer-wise but I wouldn't even bother with the way the carriers treat their networks (expensive data!), plus the fact that it is Wireless. If Cable isn't around yet, certainly try to wait out for it but also get DSL the moment it shows up so you get an available port. It's better than nothing after all.

Also, if the DSLAM and modems they're installing only do VDSL, that has less range than VDSL2 and the speeds are nowhere near as high.

Chawk12
Premium
join:2011-12-26
Everett, WA

1 recommendation

We're installing VDSL2 DSLAMS in the Pacific Northwest. The maximum speed being offered right now is 25M however.

ufcnut

@aol.com
reply to Smith6612

Oh o.k. I have another question. I noticed that on this forum, guys talk about getting a " second ethernet port combined or getting a bonded modem." What does that mean? Does it mean that I can have Frontier double my connection speed with an extra port? I really don't see this DSLAM filling up. Does it cost anymore? Is it something they don't advertise? Thanks for all the help.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Well, what we talk about there is with Frontier setting you up with a bonded connection. Their newer ADSL2+ and VDSL2 offerings are bonded natively at the connection, so essentially, yes. You can get double of what would have normally been offered to you.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

and can anyone tell me how far i am from my co here the Line Attenuation (dB) 22.5 11.5 when the upgrades are done will i be close to the co to get the 25 or 12mbps plan just if i would like to get even better than 6mbps plan

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

About a mile, give or take. 5,600ft to be more exact. If the line is running well, a single circuit should be able to pump 15Mbps/1Mbps out without an issue. If you're at 6Mbps already, then you're doing well compared to many other lines, especially those in legacy land.

cool88

@frontiernet.net
reply to Smith6612

new fiber line getting put down vdsl or adsl2+ bonded one of them 2 or coming i am so glad about this ready for faster internet even if i only get 2.5 or 3.5mbps during peak hours but that will hopefully stratien out will tell how it holds up when i am able to get it

cool88

@frontiernet.net

well smith will be at 6mbps when the upgrades are done but right now i pay for 3mbps and only get 1.3mbps because frontier oversold

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

It happens. With 6Mbps since you're paying for Frontier MAX I presume they should be just turning up your speed, no questions asked. As for the oversold bandwidth, I'm not entirely surprised. Keep on their case to get that fixed. I can understand it happening once every now and again, but not every night.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

it is so bad that all max plans or 2mbps or 1.3mbps and the internet lite gets set to 1.3 but they should have it fix here soon