birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

[TV] Latest interruption.....

While watching tv and being abruptly interrupted again, I discovered I got the new guide. This time I'm kinda happy with the interruption. When viewing my recorded list from the non-dvr box it was always laggy, it's very quick now. Gotta get used to the colors tho

Can they at least stagger the updates to the boxes and not take them all down at once?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

We do stagger them Deb. By box and also by location. In your case it sounds like you have all the same boxes in which case your location determined your update schedule. There is another solution....perhaps that thing you might have heard of called sleep These updates afterall don't even start until very very late at night
waynew
join:2012-03-16
Lake Mary, FL

1 recommendation

waynew

There is another solution....perhaps that thing you might have heard of called "don't upgrade a box while it is being used"?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by waynew:

There is another solution....perhaps that thing you might have heard of called "don't upgrade a box while it is being used"?

Um yea that won't work...a ton of boxes would never get their upgrades this way which would cause far more headaches than a 15 minute upgrade at 3am give or take. Besides how does the box know if someone just left it on or is being watched....remember we don't have cameras inside the box watching you
waynew
Lake Mary, FL

waynew

I thought lots of the boxes now power down after X hours of inactivity? You could certainly use the screensaver as a sign of viewing inactivity (although somebody could be listening). or you could actually ask a user with the interactive buttons (no response = OK to upgrade).

It may be a little effort, but it certainly isn't impossible.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by waynew:

I thought lots of the boxes now power down after X hours of inactivity? You could certainly use the screensaver as a sign of viewing inactivity (although somebody could be listening). or you could actually ask a user with the interactive buttons (no response = OK to upgrade).

It may be a little effort, but it certainly isn't impossible.

It's not a matter of impossible but impractical. I think the codespace necessary to do this would be better spent on things you fine folks really want don't you? Thought so
waynew
Lake Mary, FL

waynew

So what you meant to say in your first reply was:
"We acknowledge that is an issue with our system of upgrades and may cause some customer inconvenience and temporary loss of service. We are working to improve this, but there are other issues with a higher priority to be resolved first." ?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by waynew:

So what you meant to say in your first reply was:
"We acknowledge that is an issue with our system of upgrades and may cause some customer inconvenience and temporary loss of service. We are working to improve this, but there are other issues with a higher priority to be resolved first." ?

Actually no I didn't as it applies to Deb. I have worked with Deb here for a long time and I know she is a latenighter and my response was more humor than anything. Late night work on our system and boxes is unavoidable however and in a perfect world your concept might be doable...this however is not a perfect world and we do our best to minimize the impact to the masses in the rare instances where these things need to happen.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

I sort of started the thread as a joke as well, I like the changes I got this time

I know I bicker when the boxes start updating on me, and it forces me to do stuff that I've been putting off LOL it just always does it when I'm really into something I'm watching, not everybody stays up like me

take down my internet and that's another animal alltogether
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by pcdebb:

I sort of started the thread as a joke as well, I like the changes I got this time

I know I bicker when the boxes start updating on me, and it forces me to do stuff that I've been putting off LOL it just always does it when I'm really into something I'm watching, not everybody stays up like me

take down my internet and that's another animal alltogether

Just give me a heads up on the internet thingy so I can hide first okay.. Yes I am fully aware of your nighttime activities as we both seem to be plagued by the same bug as evidenced by numerous late night discussions here.
stevedaytona
join:2008-03-04
Daytona Beach, FL

stevedaytona

To take this off at a slight tangent. A co-worker mentioned to me this week that her father unplugs everything (TV, converter box included) before he goes to bed every night for the purpose of saving power.

I told her that probably meant that the converter box would never get updates. Is that right, or will the updates be done when the box is next powered up?

Just curious really
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by stevedaytona:

To take this off at a slight tangent. A co-worker mentioned to me this week that her father unplugs everything (TV, converter box included) before he goes to bed every night for the purpose of saving power.

I told her that probably meant that the converter box would never get updates. Is that right, or will the updates be done when the box is next powered up?

Just curious really

Oh no...when he turns it back on the updates will be there waiting for him (up to a point but we're talking a long time).