spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wolfofone

join:2012-02-22
united state

Any way to waive the modem fee for new customer?

The 12Mbps Max plan for $29.95 (for the first year) is really tempting me. I went onto the website and started to order, but then noticed the $100 modem fee. Ouch.

I really want to get away from Comcast, but I just can't stomach that $100 fee right now :P.

So, I figure I have two options. Ask AT&T to waive the fee or buy my own 3600HGV-B modem from ebay.

As far as option 1... is this going to be like Comcast where the online/physical reps/phone sales/ect don't talk to each other? IE can I call them and get the same 29.95 online deal without getting the runaround?

Are the live chat techs competent enough to waive the fee and have it actually be waived if they do (ie, no empty promises?)

Sigh.. I guess Comcast has turned be pessimistic and paranoid?

If option two, I read in another forum that I can order the online deal, but then send back their modem to get a refund of the $100 fee, and then have them add my own purchased modem to the account?

Do I have to pay at the same time I order online, or do I get a bill after it is installed?

Thanks for any insight .

AnonMan

@sct.com

Like you said you can buy your own 3600 (ONLY that model) but odds are you will have to pay the $100 up front still, than just return the one sent for the refund.

A few people have been able to get it waived but is rare, the buying used and returning the new one with the label it comes with when purchased is prob going to be it.

One thing to keep in mind is often you can get a $100 rebate on the modem also.

When i got service I also paid $100 but got a $100 rebate a few months later to make up for it.

If you can't find any AT&T promo for that try sites like offerwire.com etc. as they normally offer them.

I have used that site for AT&T and Comcast and so long as you follow all instructions you get the rebates fine.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
reply to wolfofone

Another bit to note: If you do the eBay/Craigslist route, the 3600 you buy there needs to have this firmware version to work: 6.3.7.50-plus.tm

Any previous firmware versions will not authenticate with the AT&T U-Verse network

wolfofone

united state

Hi, thank you for the responses. I checked with the seller and he said the firmware was 6.3.7.50-plus.tm so I should be good there.

How would the install work though? Will it be similar to Comcast in that I have to call them and give them a MAC address, or is the firmware/certificate what takes care of the authentication?

Also, when looking around the internet for an answer to the question I read a few posts stating that third party 3600HGV modems would not work as AT&T provisions the RGs on a customer by customer basis per address (which makes no sense to me why they would do that but...). Is that true at all?

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

As long as you are getting VDSL2 U-Verse Internet, and the 3600 has the appropriate firmware, the modem will be plug in play.

Once it connects & authenticates, you do have to do a web-based registration to unlock the "walled garden" -- but after that, you are surfing

wolfofone

united state

Ah neat, thanks for the information . Of course, i got sniped on the auction so I'll need to find another one heh.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net

One thing you might want to consider is that if you purchase the modem from AT&T, it will be under a warranty. If you purchase one on eBay and it stops working, you are SOL.

wolfofone

united state
reply to wolfofone

Re: Self Install Question

Well, today is my installation activation date and I'm ready to get everything hooked up. I have a question though. I've seen a lot of mentions about a "home run" being ideal but what exactly is that? In my apartment, the phone line comes in, likely to their wiring closet, and from there it's a Cat5e cabe that comes into my apartment. That cable terminates in a wiring cabinet for just my apartment. It's hooked up to a PCB that has connectors that other Cat5e cables are connected to. Those run to the various jacks in the house and are terminated as regular RJ11 phone jacks.

From what I could understand from the home run mentions ist hat it is supposed to be a single cable from the iNID to the RG, is that wiring cabinet connection where all the jacks are hooked together going to cause issues?

Here's a video of what it looks like:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MABPZiQ···youtu.be

wolfofone

united state

Hmm, well it's after 8PM so I hooked everything up and got the blinking red broadband light of doom. Sigh.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

If you can identify your feed line/pair from outside on that board, and then identify the line/pair that goes to your jack where the modem is, leave those connected to your punchdown board, and then disconnect all the other Cat 5s from the punchdown board

Does your building have an Apartment building Network Interface? A Building phone room/Inside Terminal? A phone terminal on the side/rear of the buidling?

Basically trying to identify your Main Point of Entry -- and then making sure the right color pair is wired to your jacks

Are you getting flashing green/flashing red back and forth, or constant flashing red?

wolfofone

united state

It's a flashing red, no green.

The power and ethernet are green but the Broadband and service lights have never turned green.

Yeah, there's a large closet with more punchdown boards, though i'm not sure which one is mine.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I would guess that your unit's Inside Wire (IW, in your case, Cat 5) is not connected to your assigned Inside Terminal (IT) binding post

Can you get into the closet? Or can your building maintenance person? If you can terminate your Cat 5 to your serving binding post at the phone closet/IT, you should at least get flashing red/green/red, if not full sync. Your assigned post should be tagged/identified, if the self-install technician was able to attain access to the phone closet/IT

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Alternately, you can set up an appointment with AT&T to make the connections from the building IT to your unit's IW and get sync all the way to your unit, then phone jack of the modem, but on self install order, this work past the main point of entry, in this case the apartment building phone room, would be billable work, which incurs a $100 technician visit fee

wolfofone

united state

Yeah the wiring closet is open. I saw other labels but did not see min apt #. I'll have to look again. Really don't want to have to pay another $100 to have them connect the wires between the two boards if I can figure it out...

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

It may be tagged/labeled with either your apartment number and/or your U-Verse Account number (which is a 9 digit number, should be in 12XXXXXXX format for new customers)

wolfofone

united state

hmm okay, I did see tags in there with just number so maybe that's it. Do i look for the Cat5e cable with a tag or something from the phone box. There's a smaller gray box next to the big punchdown board.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by wolfofone:

There's a smaller gray box next to the big punchdown board.

A few pictures would be worth a 1000s of words -- I don't think I've ever seen two ITs exactly identical

wolfofone

united state
reply to wolfofone

Ah, sorry missed that post above. Where would the inside terminal binding post be located?

wolfofone

united state

heh, well I snapped a few with my smartphone. Can try to get better ones if needed. »www.dropbox.com/sh/vfs3tu2p19you···YWr1B1_A

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to wolfofone

said by wolfofone:

Ah, sorry missed that post above. Where would the inside terminal binding post be located?

Pictures would help answer that -- it may simply be a 25/50 pair 66 block punchdown. It could be a tan/gray/green box that has AT&T/SBC/Baby Bell markings on it with screw terminals or punchdown terminals

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to wolfofone

Looks like somebody had fun...

Do you have a punchdown tool and a line toner?

One of those blue cat 5s is the one that goes to your unit. And one of the terminals on the 50 pair 66 block on the far right is your assigned IT binding post.

If you can pair your blue cat 5 (blue pair of the cat 5) with your assigned terminal binding post, you should be golden...

Hopefully one of those tags has your account number on it

wolfofone

united state
reply to ILpt4U

Oh, I found my Cat5e in the pictures I took. One of the tags has my account number. What should I look for that wire to be connected to?

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Are any of the pairs of your unit's cat 5 connected to any of the punchdowns on the punchdown block on the far right?

(pairs being one of the 4 color pairs in the cat 5e -- blue/blue-white; orange/orange-white; green/green-white; brown/brown-white)

wolfofone

united state
reply to ILpt4U

Hmm how would I know where to connect the blue pair to the punchdown on the right?

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

Are any of the Cat 5 IW pairs connected to any pair on the punchdown block?

Maybe a closeup shot of your tagged Cat 5, and if it is connected to anything?

wolfofone

united state

Aha, I found it:

»www.dropbox.com/s/xzbw1rpwzq9i1k···acct.jpg

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

What does the other end of that blue/yellow wire pair connect to?

and btw might be a good idea to edit/take down that photo -- it is your account number

wolfofone

united state
reply to wolfofone

That orange tag has my apartment number on the opposite side and that's my account #. It looks like its' connected to the right panel where it's numbered 12 and 13... not sure where the cable goes though, do I need to follow it?

wolfofone

united state

Ah, okay I took it down, was not sure how sensitive that info would be heh.

Okay, I'll see if I can figure out where it leads after I grab something to eat Thanks for your help!

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to wolfofone

Follow the yellow/blue wire pair that is tagged to its other end -- that end pictured there is the IT binding post -- basically the end of AT&T's ownership of the wiring and the beginning of the building/customer wiring ownership

The other end of that yellow/blue wire pair and what it connects to pretty much determines why you don't have service