share rss forum feed

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Metatron2008

Re: [iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

USB can power low resolution, high latency monitors. USB does do sound.

You should read about the Lightning design - it goes a lot further than two-way plugs. 9 dynamically reconfigurable pins gives it a world of expansion - more than MicroUSB has.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
said by Count Zero:

You should read about the Lightning design - it goes a lot further than two-way plugs. 9 dynamically reconfigurable pins gives it a world of expansion - more than MicroUSB has.

Here is what it gives you the way I see it:
1) Hunting for a proprietary cable when you need to charge your phone and forgot your own charger. At any given time we have at least 50 microUSB cables in the office between employees. While traveling any hotel front desk has a box of chargers that people left behind, your chances are much higher of finding a micro usb than this apple "innovation" if you left your charger at home.
2) You say its a way to do expansion, I see a way to mess with users. They can rearrange 2 pins and make everything on the market obsolete just to force you to buy more iStuff.
3) iPad and iPhone now use different connectors even though the two devices were probably going through design stages at the same time. So Apple can't even standardize their own devices? But if they would have released the new connector with the iPad 3 (or the new iPad or whatever they called it), then iPhone 5 would have had nothing to show as "revolutionary".

Yes Samsung SGSIII (which I don't have and don't like) needs an adapter for HDMI, but the number of people who actually hook up their phones to TVs is fairly small.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
Good point about the iPad. If I was to buy an iPad now, I'd have to carry around two sets of cable. Bah.. will wait then on considering purchasing an ipad.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by Rob:

Good point about the iPad. If I was to buy an iPad now, I'd have to carry around two sets of cable. Bah.. will wait then on considering purchasing an ipad.

The Ipad 3s? Or the Ipad S?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by elwoodblues:

said by Rob:

The Ipad 3s? Or the Ipad S?

I'm going to assume the S is the mini? I want the regular iPad. I see a few on the refurbished website (I want one with wireless broadband) that I am considering
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us