uniqs
share rss forum feed

rescue85
In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ
kudos:1

Would like some advise on a new wireless router.

Click for full size
Hey guys,

It's been a very long time since I have been here and even longer since I have posted. Based on this, I will apologize early if I have placed this post in the wrong forum and if that is the case, Mods, please feel free to move it or advise me where the correct place should be rather then having kids sit and flame me. I am only human and I make mistakes too.

So here goes my question. I am in need of a replacement wireless router to replace my aging Netgear WGT-624v3.

I am very far behind the technological times and I know that there is a ton of new hardware out there and at some amazing prices. I do not have a lot of money to spend so I am looking for a replacement that is excellent as far as speeds and reliability but at as cheap of a price as possible with out compromising said reliability and features.

A quick summary of my home network is as follows.

We have Verizon FiOS broadband which has the default FiOS modem/router. That wireless modem/router supplies the internet to the entire house, and is on a the default subnet that supplies all the wireless to the side of the house that it resides. Being that I am on the other side of the house and the wireless signal from that router is very weak I hard wired an old wireless router (Netgear WGT-624v3) to the FiOS router. This way all my hardware on this side has a strong wireless signal and can run a hardline to my router for things like my gaming PC or for streaming on my WD Live box. I attached a diagram that shows the full network here as I currently have it.

This Netgear router I want to replace as it's showing it's age and having some issues. In order to keep the price down on a replacement, I found the following Netgear "Netgear WNR1500 N300 Wireless Router - 300 Mbps, 5x Ports, 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4 GHz, 2x Detachable Antennas" and the price is within my budget at $49.00 but it leaves me with a few questions.

My questions are, I have seen a number of newer routes that are dual channel that are not to much more expensive but I do not know what benefits a dual channel router would give me, if I would even benefit from such a feature. Well, you know what, I am looking at TigerDirects website and now I am seeing D-Link N routers going for as low as $19.00! So guys I guess my question is 'What router will give me the best bang for my buck? The only things I am looking for in a replacement router is speed, reliability, strong wireless connects (meaning no known issues of continual dropping of connections), excellent firmware that allows for Admin'ing the network such as security + firewall, static routes, setting up network & firewall rules, NAT, port forwarding, ect.

While I know this is a pretty general set of questions, I have not been in the market for a new router since I purchased the WGT-624 2007-2008. As you can see, I am way behind the times. If you guys can help with some recommendations based on what I have described on the best but cost effective wireless router (Basically the least expensive yet fully functional) I would really appreciate it.

Many Thanks In Advance!

John
--
Life is a giant fish bowl... There is no way out but up.. Team Discovery

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

rescue85,

Here is what I was told about "wireless n" technology when I asked a question about it on another forum:

»How Does 802.11n Work?

Those comments can serve a a starting point for you.

Freddy

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
reply to rescue85

Hey Freddy thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time to read it, however, I am not to concerned about the protocol, in fact, the only place that you really ever see any appreciable difference with the different technologies is on the LAN transfer speeds and the distance from the AP the wireless clients can be. I did read through your post and since I am not doing much LAN transfer, N may not make much more difference for me then G, although based on the distance between the wifi router and the client machines, the N might give me a little better signal strength. Also I imagine that N may be the more prevalent router protocol on the market today.

The main point of this post is to get some advise on the best hardware for the lowest price as I have been out of the technology scene for so long. I suppose that I may have confused some people with the amount of information on my post, however, I included all possible information so that no one would have to ask what application do I plan to use the new wifi router in. I know that I asked the one question about using a dual channel vs. single channel and that may not be something I even need to worry about so most can probably just ignore that question. So I really am just looking for advise on what wifi router would be best for my application, with the features mentioned for the cheapest price possible.
--

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 recommendations

reply to rescue85

I am looking for a new router, but only casually. That is to say, I can wait for a while.

What I want to know, before replacing my router, is what does it do with IPv6, and how does it handle firewalling in an IPv6 setup.

As I see it, this will become important within the next few years.

I am mentioning this, because you might want to think about IPv6 as one of your requirements for a replacement router.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 15.0.1

BlueMist

join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN
reply to rescue85

I have recently installed a couple of Belkin routers that might be able to work for you. These are a mix of the F7D7301 and F7D7302 models with the only difference between them is that the F7D7301 has 2 USB ports an the F7D7302 has just the one USB port.

Both models have only internal antennas but so far the wireless remote machines that used to work with other routers are working just fine with these units.

What I really like about them is that they have 64MB of RAM and 8MB of Flash memory. The memory allows you to use the Belkin firmware but also work just fine with various Tomato and DD-WRT 3rd party firmware packages provided you follow the instructions and load the specific mini version (specific to the model being upgraded) first and then reload to the actual firmware version (features desired) after that.

I am presently using a 7301 along with the Shibby Tomato firmware and have a 4 port USB/SATA adapter box hooked to the a USB port of the router and all 4 hard drives are available for use as backup or other stuff. A mix of 500GB and a 1TB drive and all are working just fine. Relatively slow transfer speeds as the router keeps most of it's horse power for the routing functions and we are going over a USB port but it does work without errors. Next plan is to plug in an old HP952c printer that has a USB port and let the router also become a printer sharing device.

I have found either of them in the $20 price range from time to time. Presently gearxs.com has the F7D7302 model for $19.99 at link »www.gearxs.com/Belkin-Share-N300···USB-Port plus any shipping and possible taxes.

I have no input to give on the dual frequency units at this time.

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ

Hey Bluemist,

Thanks a bunch! That Belkin router is looking pretty damn good! I like that it's cheap but as well, it offers the simplicity of just being plug n play so to speak as well, if you want you can install a much more configurable firmware for increased Admin control, as well the USB allows for storage, or print sharing of non wireless devices. Over all I am pretty damn impressed.

As for nmrickerts, post regarding IPv6, I don't think that this is anything we really need to worry about as there will be backwards compatibility with it, as well, IPv6 has been around since before 2008 and the roll out for it has been very slow going and for now, I do not think we really need to worry about it. For it to be rolled out your talking about the backbones needing to support this and a global roll out will take YEARS! So I am not overly concerned about it at this point.

I am still open to suggestions so please feel free to continue to comment.

Thanks!

John
--

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by rescue85:

I am still open to suggestions so please feel free to continue to comment.

My suggestion is the Netgear WNDR4500. Its not cheap, its dramatically superior in every way shape and form over 99% of all other consumer wireless routers out there. Its not cheap, its not expensive, its not cheap, because it provides the biggest bang for YOUR buck. its not cheap and for the BANG it provides its not expensive in fact it is cheap based on its capabilities. If you want to learn about the Netgear WNDR4500 then you will need to do lots of research or simply take my word for it. Just a reminder its NOT CHEAP yet at the same time its NOT EXPENSIVE.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
reply to rescue85

Mozerd,

Wow, that is a nice router, however the reason for me needing an inexpensive router is because I am on General Assistance aka welfare, while I wait for my disability hearing to be finished. Once that occurs, I would likely want to upgrade to something like this, however for now. I only get enough money to cover my uncovered medical bills, so short of asking for donations to help me purchase this, I will need to look at something in the $20-$40 range
--

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to rescue85

Just so you get a good choice of routers and prices:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···rts/view

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ

Oh hey now! Nice chart PrntRhd, thanks! Though, this kinda leaves me scratching my head, so many choices! lol Do you have any "Likes" from these charts?
--

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to rescue85

My advice would be to find a used old wifi router even of the G variety that people are getting rid of for free, until you have enough saved for the WNDR model.
Heck just in the last month I have thrown away so many old B and G wifi routers.

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ

1 edit

Well, then, allow me to post this official request... If anyone has an old G router they would be willing to donate to a good home, please PM me. The router would be going to a great home and will be well taken care of! References available upon request

That is a great idea Anav, the only thing I guess would be finding someone that would be kind and willing enough to donate one to the cause.

I will see about where to post a request such as I have not known many places that would, one, allow me to post such a request (I hope BBR does not have a problem with me asking this) and two, finding someone who would be willing to donate one out of the kindness of their own heart.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys! I really do appreciate it!
--

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

I dont have any left and the cost of shipping it from Canada to the US would not be cost effective but there has to be peeps in NJ with old G wifi routers that will do the job temporarily.

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ

Anav, NP, Actually someone kindly PM'ed me last night offering to send me one. I PM'ed him back so I am just waiting to hear back from him. It's wonderful to know that there really are some awesome people left in this world willing to help! If this doesn't work out I will post back here.
--
Life is a giant fish bowl... There is no way out but up..

dutchtender

join:2010-11-21
New York, NY
reply to rescue85

they are throwing out those routers for a reason. they don't keep up anymore. and you have fios and you are going to put a G router on it? that's penny wise and pound foolish. I got a nice N router from the linksys website for $20. you can get a better one for $50. I bought an e3000 refurb for $45. It was top of the line 2 years ago. every refurb I ever got worked fine.

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ

said by dutchtender:

they are throwing out those routers for a reason. they don't keep up anymore. and you have fios and you are going to put a G router on it? that's penny wise and pound foolish. I got a nice N router from the linksys website for $20. you can get a better one for $50. I bought an e3000 refurb for $45. It was top of the line 2 years ago. every refurb I ever got worked fine.

Perhaps it is penny wise and pound foolish, but my G router was working just fine until recently. So if the G router that the person from here was kind enough to send me for free works fine then I have no problems using it until I have the money to purchase an N router. While you may think that just getting a refurb N router for $20 is not a lot of money, please keep in mind that my only source of income right now is welfare until I am able to win my SSI disability case. I get only a small amount of money that I have to use to pay for more important things like medical bills that are not covered by Medicaid or Charity care, living expenses, and the like. Do to a terminal illness I can no longer work. So it may seem I'm being a pound foolish, but I have to keep my priorities in line. Please don't take this statement the wrong way, but if $20.00 is not too much money for you, perhaps you would be kind enough to send one to me out of your kindness as the gentleman did that sent me the G router? I would be then able to pay it forward and donate the G router he sent me to someone else who may need one but can not afford it?

Please do not take that last statement as sarcastic or anything, I just would like you to understand why I can not at this time put out the money for an N router which is what ultimately I would like to put in place of my failing G router. I hope you understand.

John
--
Life is a giant fish bowl... There is no way out but up..