spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Endbringer
join:2012-10-07
Fishers, IN

Endbringer

[Classes] Monk Mistweaver

couldn't find a topic on the mistweaver's so i started one.

what does everyone think of the healing monk?
low level or higher if you've gotten that far

are you able to dps and heal with the channel heal being your only heal for awhile (i am level 24 atm) which i think
the class is ment to do both

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Exodus See Profile was really enjoying his. Hit him up.

Endbringer
Fishers, IN

Endbringer

just sent him a message...thanks Immer
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Endbringer

Premium Member

to Endbringer
great single target, aoe is meh at low levels, but they are fun to bounce around dungeons with, and male pandas look awesome channeling.
Arsinic
join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA

Arsinic to Endbringer

to Endbringer
End game Mistweaver is extremely strong in PVE and while I havent played it as much in PVP they are definitely suitable there as well.

The balance of spending mana for chi, and chi to stack your mana restoration buff seems a bit trickier in pvp, but pve its smooth sailing. In raid you can essentially blanket the raid(10m) with renewing mists and spam uplift for signifigant qoe burst. Spinning crane kick with the jade something or other talent(lvl90) is great aoe healing as well. It feels like there are already many different ways to heal as a monk. I really enjoy beign able to be offensive. The Spirit Binder boss made the offensive playstyle a huge benefit in the other realm..

I will probably pvp a bit more this week. It seems marginally difficult to maintain mana when your being tunneled, but Im sure that goes for all classes.

If anyone has any specific questions, I can try and answer or them provide my insight. Overall I think the class is an awesoem change of pace.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

exactly, i tried to heal on meh drood the other night i was like was is jab where is BOK crap rej, sm regrowth, dead ... oops
Arsinic
Ruffs Dale, PA

Arsinic

Worse is playing another character and not have flying serpent kick/roll .. I can't play my other characters anymore

Jakiel00
join:2007-12-12
Mckinney, TX

Jakiel00 to Endbringer

to Endbringer
Starting at level 10, I have been a Mistweaver and just hit 71 last night. Going from a Holy Priest raiding (enough spells in that tool box to choke a donkey) to a Mistweaver (not a ton of healing spells) was an interesting challenge. They just use those healing spells differently using Tiger Palm and Blackout kick.

Keeping those two buffs up are key for the healing through Special attacks and the Surging Mist haste buff. Once you get to level 70 and get your panda totem (Jade Serpent) everything is REALLY easy as far as healing. The 30 second cooldown isn't bad either on it and really only pop it out on boss fights and when the tank decides to pull the whole area. I am still about 3rd sometimes 4th on DPS but anticipate that will change as I get higher levels.

AOE Healing - So far being only 71, I am not seeing alot of issues with the AOE healing. Granted alot of people still have BOA gear, so that will change when most of that gear is replaced at level 80 for standard stuff. The Spinning Crane Kick AOE Heal is working out just fine for me so far. I am not using Uplift as much in these lowbie 5 mans, but anticipate it will be a stable once I get into 10 mans.

So far this is my favorite class and I have made him my new main.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Endbringer

Premium Member

to Endbringer
I just saw this thread after Endbringer sent me a PM. I've only got a level 51 monk at this point. I'm playing him strictly as resto and I'm having a good time.

There's some pointers I gave out in a PM that I'll share here as well. You can DPS as resto (mistweaver, screw you, I'm calling it resto) just as effective or possibly more effective than the normal DPS spec/stance.

When you're grinding quests, there is a massive self-heal function of DPS'ing in a resto setup. Make sure you stack int/spirit gear. Int is converted into spell power which is converted into attack power. Spirit is converted into hit/expertise.

Your rotation is Jab x4, Blackout Kick x2. If you get the glyph for Blackout Kick, you'll edge out a little better with Jab x2, Blackout Kick x1 with 100% DoT uptime. Really not that big of a deal though.

At the lower levels, I was coming out on top with DPS. The tanking monk has very strong AoE at low levels. I find that AoE is really weak for DPS/Healing monks until level 46. Once you hit 46, you are the AoE god. If you do it in resto spec, you're going to see a ridiculous amount of numbers.

More than half the dungeons I've run as the "role" of healer, I've actually topped the DPS meters on most of the fight. By doing so much damage, I'm actually able to keep the team alive. Dungeons clear faster with 4 DPS intead of 3. It's good times. The big issue is mana when dealing DPS. Once I got into my 40's, I noticed that Jab was starting to whittle away at my mana bar. I had to drink more. The spinning crane kick can be a large mana hog as well.

If you queue'd up as a DPS, simply exhaust your mana bar and then switch over to the other stance and do mediocre DPS with energy. You can still use spinning crane kick almost as effectively (no heals) while in DPS spec.

Now that I'm in my 50's, I've stopped trying to compete on DPS. I see the separation take place. DPS is starting to edge out, where I was #1. I can still crush on AoE fights with crane kick and when there's AoE, crane kick is also the most effective cluster-heal.

In battle-grounds, the monk is obscene. I tried from low levels up to where I'm at now and I'm doing amazing. I was able to keep a player alive from an onslaught of 5-6 alliance players. There are some players that I can ignore entirely as they beat on me, just through my abilities passively healing me.

If it gets real bad. I roll out of the way once or twice and heal to full instantaneously.

In my 20's, I once sat at stables as 3 players tried to kill me for a solid 5 minutes. I had a full mana bar and kept myself alive with minimal effort. I can imagine the pure frustration on their part. Even with CC, all the passive heals that sit on me make it nearly impossible to burst me down unless an entire team is focused on me. I die about once every other battleground. I let about one player die every other battleground. It takes an extreme amount of focus. I can solo heal an entire effort in Alterac Valley with no issues.

Monks are OP.
Arsinic
Ruffs Dale, PA

Arsinic

The dpsing to heal loses some of its luster at end game as your actually going to oom pretty quickly just using jab/BoK.. Just something to keep in mind. I never healed until 90 so I didnt learn one way or another leveling. While the combo will stack mana tea, the mana return from mana tea wont compensate mana used to dps for any fight over a minute and a half or so.

Ginjer
Premium Member
join:2009-08-14
Earth

Ginjer to Endbringer

Premium Member

to Endbringer
ZOMG, it is another Archivis siting.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

maybe that is why i heard a loud *gasp* from the gw2 thread

Ginjer
Premium Member
Earth

Ginjer

Premium Member

said by cymraeg:

maybe that is why i heard a loud *gasp* from the gw2 thread

+1

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to Endbringer

Premium Member

to Endbringer
Click for full size
Monks seem fine at the high end

Also I just want to see JB rage
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

the results of that may be a bit skewed due to them being new and ppl wanting to try them out, after the heroic parses come out tonight or early tomorrow then we will have more concrete data

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

I don't know... yes, monks are the new hotness... but they are still competing against all of the other classes, top players in their own right... and winning. That is a substantial showing of Monk domination, too... not a mere fad/fluke. Nerf bat is being primed, methinks.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

to borrow a term from baseball, ole GC was on deck with it from the beginning

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
The other theory is that the best healers are going monk.

The 10 man numbers aren't nearly so whacky. Or well, Paladins are annihilating in that bracket (but what else is new?)
Arsinic
Ruffs Dale, PA

Arsinic to Endbringer

to Endbringer
I have a possible theory to this and one I think was happening to me last night. With more than one monk in group I think uplift maybe healing people with another monks renewing mist. This is jsut a guess from watching 45239042820948209328 numbers fly accross my screen every global. I'll do a little more research and report. That alone isn't the only thing causing this, but It may be a pretty big deal.

Jakiel00
Mckinney, TX

Jakiel00 to Endbringer

to Endbringer
Had a guild memeber RAF his Monk and hit 90 a couple days after expansion came out. Last night he was stating in Guild chat that Monks are useless and not PVE or PVP viable. So there are still alot of people out there that haven't made informed decisions about the class.

If anyone remembers DK at the start of Wrath, and look at how they turned out today. I think Blizz did a great job launching this new class.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well thats the problem with just granting levels like that.
Sure you get a high level toon but you don't really play the toon

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Jakiel00

Premium Member

to Jakiel00
said by Jakiel00:

Last night he was stating in Guild chat that Monks are useless and not PVE or PVP viable.

Maybe your friend sucks at WoW.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Well thats the problem with just granting levels like that.
Sure you get a high level toon but you don't really play the toon

a little time spent reading, setting up macros, and testing it out with guildies and most people catch right up. Then they need practice to develop muscle memory... and with all of the dungeon grinding and rep grinding we have... practice is all you get, lol.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya but I'm pointing out that suddenly having a high level toon like that isn't the best way to learn a toon.

People can easily get wrong impressions like that.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

said by Jakiel00:

Last night he was stating in Guild chat that Monks are useless and not PVE or PVP viable.

or has a mental block where he keeps trying to play the monk as if he were playing a different class? it happens. It could also just mean that the class doesn't fit him... and he should probably add perspective clarifying terms to his remarks like "Monks are useless and not PVE or PVP viable when I'm playing them."

Jakiel00
Mckinney, TX

Jakiel00 to Exodus

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

said by Jakiel00:

Guildy, not friend. Concur with your statement.
Arsinic
Ruffs Dale, PA

Arsinic to Endbringer

to Endbringer
In the right hands Mistweavers are unreal. Like I said I vaguely was prepared to heal a raid and I was destroying healing done, mana management, movement/damage taken aspects, I can only imagine how profficient people that weaved some mist on the PTR are playing atm. I honestly wouldnt be suprised to see some monk nerfage in the healing department. maybe something that actually makes everything they do in PVE not instant maybe a start.

Endbringer
Fishers, IN

Endbringer to Exodus

to Exodus
Great information, i made some adjustments to my gear and play style and i feel like i have a whole new toon!!

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9 to Arsinic

Premium Member

to Arsinic
*looks at WoL*

Yep, monks are a tad overpowered.

Ginjer
Premium Member
Earth

Ginjer

Premium Member

said by JB9:

*looks at WoL*

Yep, monks are a tad overpowered.

Somebody called this out yesterday. Who was it that said JB would be a bit upset? Not that you are really upset.