LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

Re: FUD

Exactly. Once a US company builds it, it might be less likely for the same hardware to be dissected.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Huh?

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

I figure, once the stuff is built here, there may be a bit less uncertainty regarding spying techniques.

Basically, they may say, "Oh, well since it's built here, why dissect it? We trust 'em!"

Hope not, though. But you never know..
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Maybe a little less concern, but I imagine the reviews will still happen...especially for critical infrastructure hardware/software.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

KodiacZiller

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

Maybe a little less concern, but I imagine the reviews will still happen...especially for critical infrastructure hardware/software.

I am skeptical how much such analysis can achieve, especially when done by hobbyists. They simply don't have the equipment. Transistors are extremely small now (~ 25 nm). You can hide a lot of malicious stuff at such a microscopic level. NSA might be capable of properly dissecting it, but not many other people have the expertise or the equipment necessary.

Also most of the firmware/microcode on these chips is not open source. That's another problem. It makes it that much harder to reverse engineer.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by KodiacZiller:

especially when done by hobbyists.

Luckily for us the analysis isn't being done by hobbyists.
said by KodiacZiller:

Also most of the firmware/microcode on these chips is not open source. That's another problem. It makes it that much harder to reverse engineer.

It just takes longer.
« comparisonI call bullsh*t »
This is a sub-selection from FUD