how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Afraid of competition?

I guess that depends on how we define competition. How much does each country subsidize their respective manufacturers? If there's a significant disparity, it's hard to call that competitive.

I'm not taking sides because the US does a lot of corporate welfare in the form of deductions that are designed to encourage certain behavior. If there's any truth to the presidential campaign rhetoric, some even believe the US subsidizes our manufacturers to outsource American jobs. I have no idea if that's true. I'm just throwing it out there because there's a widely-held belief that the Chinese government subsidizes their industry but the US isn't a completely free market either.

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

1 edit
said by rradina:

I'm not taking sides because the US does a lot of corporate welfare in the form of deductions that are designed to encourage certain behavior.

The so called "green energy" industry (including Obama campaign contributors) now receives tens of $Billions in subsidies while the traditional fossil fuel industry now receives less than $5 Billion and regardless of where the money goes much of it is borrowed money. Some corporations such as GE don't seem to pay any federal income tax and don't think there aren't government contracts awarded as political payoffs (by incumbents of both parties) rather than strictly on merit. Then there is the whole matter of the regulated effectively writing the regulations (often to the detriment of the American public) and that's a huge one for the U.S. telecommunications industry.

Whether or not Huawei became a telecommunications giant legitimately or through infringing intellectual property and help from the Chinese government is a fair trade and antitrust concern. Too bad our (no longer for the people) government has very little high moral ground left to stand on.