uniqs
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to nyrrule27

Premium Member

to nyrrule27

Re: Open Ports

why should any ports be blocked, and why do you need to get boost to have them opened?
"Ports blocked & level of service required to open:

Ports 25 & 80 - opened with boost/boost plus/ultra
Ports 8080, 1043/1080/3128 - opened with boost/ultra; and static IP business accounts only
Ports 135-139, 445 - currently unable to be opened"

is that allowed by the FCC? how can you use SMTP if the port is blocked?

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

said by iknow:

is that allowed by the FCC?

Yes.
iknow
Premium Member

iknow

Premium Member

said by limegrass69:

said by iknow:

Yes.

i remember the FCC fined comcast for blocking torrents. why can cablevision block smtp? and require you to use only their smtp mail server? the FCC ruled all traffic must be treated equal. this causes the OPs problem, and i'm sure others are bothered by this.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

They're not blocking traffic. They're blocking ports.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 edit

TheWiseGuy to iknow

MVM

to iknow
said by iknow:

said by limegrass69:

said by iknow:

Yes.

i remember the FCC fined comcast for blocking torrents. why can cablevision block smtp? and require you to use only their smtp mail server? the FCC ruled all traffic must be treated equal. this causes the OPs problem, and i'm sure others are bothered by this.

1. It is not the cause of the posters problem, therefore you are trolling.

2. Your facts are incorrect the FCC did not fine Comcast, though they did condemn Comcast's lying about its traffic management.

Leading up to the 3-2 vote at the FCC’s open meeting here, Martin and the head of the agency’s Wireline Competition Bureau issued a strong indictment against Comcast, accusing the company of lying to the public about how it went about managing data traffic over its high-speed Internet network.

»www.multichannel.com/con ··· -comcast

3. Cablevision makes it clear in their terms of service that you can not run a server on regular OOL and that you need to subscribe to boost to run an SMTP server.

Edit
And Oh By The Way the court ruled that the FCC did not even have the authority to rule comcast had violated Net Neutrality.

»www.infoworld.com/d/the- ··· sion-634

Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to iknow

MVM,

to iknow
said by iknow:

how can you use SMTP if the port is blocked?

Inbound SMTP is blocked (you can't run a server). They're not blocking third-party SMTP servers. Many SMTP servers also have alternate ports anyway (587).
iknow
Premium Member

iknow to TheWiseGuy

Premium Member

to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

1. It is not the cause of the posters problem, therefore you are trolling.

no, blocked ports is his problem. at least if he wanted to use one of the blocked one's. i don't troll btw.. i'm trying to help.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

You are clueless. He already said it works with the default port for FTP port 21. He is not having a problem due to blocked ports he just did not configure his own router or the client router for FTP which is actually a complicated protocol so that is not surprising and happens all the time.

YES you are trolling, which you do on a regular basis, the object is to help him, not go off on a fanciful discussion of whether OOL is allowed to block ports, which has absolutely nothing to do with his problem and sidetrack the thread.