berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog

Re: [NCAA-F] Penn State molester Sandusky gets 30-60 yrs in pris

So what? A homer comes up with more denial, refusal to accept the facts, and whines how her discomfort is the real problem. I am so sorry for your loss.

We've all followed this closely and I, for one, am comfortable with my objectivity about what I do and do not know. That you or some other "victim" of the press and ignorant outsiders says you are somehow being persecuted doesn't make it so.

A few rational words from that blog that ring closer to the truth:

You are guilty of what you accuse others of doing. You prejudge those who 'think differently than you and accuse them of only having a smattering of knowledge. I was there for the trial. I have studied extensively on pedophilia, victim psychology, consulted experts and served as a confidant and consoler for a half a dozen victims (not Sandusky's). The 'pervasive culture' of putting football ahead of innocent little boys was very evident while we were in the unHappy Valley. I spoke with dozens and dozens of people. The hostility toward the victims was rampant and nearly universal (the one exception was a former child victim). The locals expressed hatred for Sandusky, but for "what he's done to the university" with no mention of the victims. Articles like this one and posts like those below show that the PSU Community has, sadly, not changed.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

More nonsense. People simply identify with the direct impact TO THEM more than the victims, and at the time many of said interviews/etc happened before the whole story was known, so yeah people thought a single sick asshole was single-handedly destroying the school they love and support. I can completely understand their first thought being about how it affected their lives, it's just human nature. To suggest that people in State College or who went to Penn State would rather cover it all up to save their football program is an ASININE and ignorant thing to say and I take offense at you implying that.

It's much easier for someone with no allegiance to the school to not see that fact. But the reality is, a handful of people screwed up big time in not stopping a very, very sick man. The rest of the hundreds of thousands of faculty, staff, alumni, etc are not the blame, yet the media would have everyone else believe we are.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Where was all this compassion for human nature back when McQueary was being held up for contumely?

The fact is there is a culture that pervades all college athletics that contributes to this sort of thing going unchecked for so long. The ill effects of such a culture can manifest in different ways at different times in different places. I don't see a whole lot of the wild accusations by homers in denial having much attendance in reality.

said by Holly :

Those Who Know Not also feel, very strongly, that the football program should be shut down for good or, at the least, a few years. Some of them, on the fringe, actually believe the whole university should close.

As long as you, Holly, and all the rest who are part of that culture, in whatever small part, eschew responsibility for changing it, raising such a specious clamor, instead, of how they have been violated, it will not get better.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

said by fatness:

That's just a link to a columnist complaining about the media slandering Penn State.

Yes, and? That's what I was talking about in my other posts. She expressed well what I was trying to say.

OK, I get that. She had the same opinion you have.

I mistakenly thought you were providing an example of the media slandering Penn State, which that column didn't provide.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

To suggest that people in State College or who went to Penn State would rather cover it all up to save their football program is an ASININE and ignorant thing to say and I take offense at you implying that.

Some of the people who went to Penn State wanted that, yes. Most did not.

Fortunately those who wanted it covered up are not nearly the majority of the Penn State community. That community's a pretty big, strong one and it'll go on just fine with or with a football program, with or without a good reputation for a good football program. There's a lot more to Penn State than football.

Things got out-of-whack for awhile, however. The football program was given almost blind deference and even reverence by students, alumni, administrators, and members of the football program. It made its own rules, nobody supervised it. That's what allowed Sandusky to get away with what he did for so long. And that's what allowed people in the football program to cover up for him as long and as well as they did.

The exposure of Sandusky and the coverup was a good thing, because it exposed those involved to public scrutiny and even to prosecution where needed, and because it pretty much destroyed the blind deference to the football program. That was very much needed.

Each year Penn State gets a new incoming class, and each incoming class is further and further removed from the "football is god" mentality. And they're not going to get terribly upset about criticism of Penn State like some older alumni do. Things change.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to berserken

said by berserken:

As long as you, Holly, and all the rest who are part of that culture, in whatever small part, eschew responsibility for changing it, raising such a specious clamor, instead, of how they have been violated, it will not get better.

And once again you totally missed it. If you'd read ANY of my comments on this entire thing, you'd know your accusations are a load of crap and that I value the school for much more than football. But go on believing whatever you like.

I know the truth, and I know the real culture, not what you believe it to be. When was the last time you were in State College, hmm?
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to fatness

Well hopefully it makes the tons of other programs do the same. There are plenty of such schools, where football really is the only thing going for them (no offense). Hopefully they take heed.
--

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2
reply to pflog

What year did you graduate from Penn State? Great school!
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by jabarnut:

What year did you graduate from Penn State? Great school!

2000 (should have been 1999, but I did a long internship ).
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

Well hopefully it makes the tons of other programs do the same. There are plenty of such schools, where football really is the only thing going for them (no offense). Hopefully they take heed.

Case in point. Here's a tweet of NCAA graduation report data (emphasis mine):

Onward State @OnwardState

The latest @NCAA report: Penn State football sets a school record with a 91% graduation rate. That's 23% above the Division 1 average.

--

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

said by I AM:

said by J E F F:

Yeah, he's screwed...in more ways than one.

Prison inmates generally don't take well to child molesters.

I wonder how true that statement is still these days. Seems like tons of cm's in prisons now days.

Most would lie on why they are there, and prison inmates don't have any good way to find out. Sandusky, on the other hand, is well known.

They have visitors. Visitors have access to the net. Net in large metro areas has public records.

Plus gangs run some prisons. They have access to all.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits

They dont need the visitors. In pa even state cons have computer access. Sandusky will get whats coming to him. Penn State deserves as much blame as its getting. As good as the school is or was doesnt change the fact of what happened or was allowed to happen. Its a disgrace what happens up there. In my eyes the college was as responsible as Sandusky from the time they knew about it and decided to sweep it under the rug which ALLOWED it to continue. The football program and the college is one and the same. Its bullshit that people think the college wasnt at fault. They deserve all the blame in the world.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

»onwardstate.com/2012/10/24/victi···tate-no/

FTA:

After briefly discussing his abusive relationship with Sandusky, Meyer asked Fisher about his thoughts on the NCAA sanctions that were levied in July.

said by Aaron Fisher :
Ya know, I think that is a bunch of bull. I don’t think they should’ve had that. Do I blame Penn State? No. Do I blame Penn State students? No, not at all. Their students had nothing to with this. It’s just that the people who were put in a position to help didn’t.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to FFH

ex Penn State Pres Spanier indicted multiple criminal charges

Graham Spanier, ex-Pres of Penn State, was charged today with multiple crimes in covering up the child molestation accusations against Sandusky.

»www.philly.com/philly/news/20121···ges.html

Spanier, once among the nation's most prominent college presidents, was charged with perjury, obstruction of justice, endangering the welfare of children, criminal conspiracy, and failure to report suspected child abuse. Similar, additional charges were lodged against former university Vice President Gary Schultz and former Athletic Director Tim Curley,, already scheduled for trial in January.

In announcing the charges today, authorities mentioned occasions in 1998 and 2001 when Spanier, Schultz and Curley discussed allegations that Sandusky had abused boys on the Penn State campus, but took no action.

It is the coverup that gets them in the end every time. The scandal and the PR hit would have been minor issues if these clowns running Penn State didn't try to hide everything.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

Re: ex Penn State Pres Spanier indicted multiple criminal charge

said by FFH:

It is the coverup that gets them in the end every time. The scandal and the PR hit would have been minor issues if these clowns running Penn State didn't try to hide everything.

That's the whole point. People were so worried about the university getting a black eye that they covered up heinous crimes, thereby making everything worse. If they didn't hold the university up on such a pedestal, most of this could have been avoided.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

I knew the Spanier thing was coming - the writing was on the wall.

I also find it HIGHLY unlikely that Erickson (then VP under Spanier) has no idea. He swears up and down he didn't, but didn't Spanier say the same thing?
--

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to footballdude

Paterno defended in new video:
»www.philly.com/philly/news/Film-···ase.html

A 32-minute video released this week on YouTube takes up the case for Joe Paterno, the late Penn State football coach who was fired four days after a grand jury presentment revealed he had been told of sexual abuse of a young boy at the hands of former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

The film, entitled “Framing Paterno,” is the creation of John Ziegler, a conservative filmmaker who specializes in media criticism. One of his prior productions took the media to task for its treatment of 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

The movie presents evidence that Ziegler said exonerates Paterno, who was fired on Nov. 9. He said it claims Paterno wasn’t told in detail by then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary in 2001 about what McQueary saw when he discovered Sandusky in the shower with a young boy at the Lasch Football Building.

The purpose of the film, according to Ziegler, is to refute “a largely false narrative to fit (the media’s) own agenda.”

The 32 min video on Youtube:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3z-3CBfM8Q

This video is intended to be a short summary of what a proposed full-length documentary about the real story regarding Joe Paterno's role in the Jerry Sandusky scandal might look like. The producers wish to make it clear that they are not defending Jerry Sandusky, but rather just seeking the truth of what really happened here and seperating media hype from actual facts . You can find out more information at »www.FramingPaterno.com
--
Impeach Obama and tie up government for next 2 yrs

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

2 edits

(Edit) Aw, never mind.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to FFH

Re: [NCAA-F] Penn State molester Sandusky gets 30-60 yrs in pris

2 years ago, this was a TD.

Every angle of the replay showed he had possession. So apparently now PSU has to play the other team and the refs/replay people.
--