uniqs
share rss forum feed

pulp46
Premium
join:2003-01-28
reply to NonBell

Re: Bell Usage Meter counting LAN data?

said by NonBell :

Get him a separate router so Bell's combo unit will only see pppoe..

Yes, I would have been there with my DIR-655 within 5 minutes of him telling me about it... but he's 5 hours away, one way. LOL He's not handy with this stuff nor knows anyone who is. Those nutty combo jobs kinda dumb down people.

NonBell

@avaya.com
reply to pulp46
Get him a separate router so Bell's combo unit will only see pppoe and nothing more. if he still see high usage, then he is acutally using more than he thinks, or someone hacks into the new router as soon as it is installed. (Make sure he turns off the wifi from Bell's combo unit).

pulp46
Premium

1 edit
reply to urbang33k
Yes he is. He'll download a 280MB mp4 file from alt.binaries.teevee to his hard drive. Later, at his convenience, he'll wirelessly stream it to his LCD TV (PS3 Media Server) from his PC. He can account for all his Internet traffic and its NOTHING anywhere near what BELL is reporting. I'm suggesting Bell's program is buggy and also counts all that LAN traffic which, of course, is ridiculous. I see no other explanation apart from Bell's metering just being all kinds of faulty.

Edit*** He has one of those combo modem/router units Bell provides. I never liked the idea of combos apart from pizza.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to pulp46
He's not downloading the shows from PC and then streaming them to his PS3 is he??

I could see 10 GIG could be easily reached by simply downloading tv shows depending on the quality of the downloaded file. Something doesn't add up here. Where are the media files coming from? I could care less HOW you obtain them, but I'm simply wondering if those shows are indeed coming from a source on the internet?
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to pulp46
said by pulp46:

Wow,that's pathetic. I'm going to insist he gets onto TekSavvy Cable, like I am using. 300 GIG and I swear they don't even bother counting the usage. Also have Unlimited but no need really.

They don't bother yet, cause they don't have a usage tracking for now I beleive.

But teksavvy or any other wholesales ISP is usually generous with CAPs.

pulp46
Premium
reply to kovy7
Wow,that's pathetic. I'm going to insist he gets onto TekSavvy Cable, like I am using. 300 GIG and I swear they don't even bother counting the usage. Also have Unlimited but no need really.

kovy7

reply to pulp46
said by pulp46:

I presume a customer can gain access to the real traffic while disputing the usage? Has anyone done that? Surely Bell can't just state you did X amount of traffic, pay up without seeing what machines and what kind of traffic it was.... Judge, jury and executioner?

Yeah only the gigs each day.

Gain acces to real trafic... no.

Best west is geting your own router that counts WAN traffic and compare it to bell.

And this is why CAPs are a big problem...

pulp46
Premium
reply to kovy7
I presume a customer can gain access to the real traffic while disputing the usage? Has anyone done that? Surely Bell can't just state you did X amount of traffic, pay up without seeing what machines and what kind of traffic it was.... Judge, jury and executioner?

pulp46
Premium
reply to kovy7
Just the GIG totals?

kovy7

reply to pulp46
said by pulp46:

said by kovy7:

It's on the Bell website, he needs a account "Log in to My Bell".

Thank you kovy. Since I can't access it and he's at work (unreachable) would the information include detailed info like Mac Addresses (in case a hacker took over wifi) and all traffic history? Kudoed!

Yeah, it's not detailed enough. It's only shows download and upload each day.

pulp46
Premium
reply to kovy7
said by kovy7:

Thank you kovy. Since I can't access it and he's at work (unreachable) would the information include detailed info like Mac Addresses (in case a hacker took over wifi) and all traffic history? Kudoed!

kovy7

reply to pulp46

pulp46
Premium
reply to kovy7
said by kovy7:

LAN doesn't count. He could show you his daily used to see what's going on.

So, he could copy and paste this "daily used" thingy to me? What program would that be or is it gathered from a Bell website, url?

kovy7

reply to pulp46
LAN doesn't count. He could show you his daily used to see what's going on.

pulp46
Premium

2 edits
My brother-in-law in Malton, Ontario is getting hammered by Bell with going over bandwidth allowance. He swears it's completely wrong because he will have done nothing but surf (internet wise) yet Bell's proggy will state he did 10 GIG. He does STREAM tv shows and movies FROM his PC to a PS3 Media Server-TV so I'm thinking Bell's combo router/modem is calculating the LAN traffic on top of the WAN. Have you guys noticed that or read about it? Could you link me up if you have? Yes, Bell is denying that could be the problem and want him to pay up. Any ideas on how to fight this?