BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
reply to pulp46

Re: Bell Usage Meter counting LAN data?

So he streams TV shows?

How many shows does he follow?

If he follows 10 shows then per month that would take 10 gigs easily if the isize of each file is as you say 280mb x 4 shows (per show) each month = approx 1 gig per show
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

pulp46
Premium
join:2003-01-28

No. For example last Saturday, he DL a 278MB mp4 and streamed it to his TV. That's all he did for the day besides email. The usage counter stated he used 10 Gig.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

said by pulp46:

No. For example last Saturday, he DL a 278MB mp4 and streamed it to his TV. That's all he did for the day besides email. The usage counter stated he used 10 Gig.

Something else is wrong... kids, torrents?
What speed does he have?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

pulp46
Premium

No kids, just a common-law wife who doesn't even know what downloading means. LOL This would be real simple if Bell would forward him the Mac Addresses.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1

get him to call in and change his b1 logins password with a sympatico rep for starters.

or turn his modem off for a day and see if the tracker reports any usage.

change the password on the wireless.

not sure if your aware, but the usage is not tracked on the physical hardware, its tracked by PPPoE b1 login ID.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

useagebell

@bell.ca
reply to pulp46

not sure if things have changed but the way the old meter worked is it would see your pppoe session established and then started counting it kept counting till the session was closedd so in theory you could have a session of 4 days. the first 3 days you would see nothing and then on the 4 th day when the connection was broken it counted.

it never worked on a day by day count in the past. this might explain the 10 gig total . he might have been connected for a while the meter is counting then he lost his connection and it tallied up the total.

thats how it used to be i realize things might have changed

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to pulp46

said by pulp46:

What type of connection does it have... also is this 10Gb, counting 1 day only or the whole month ?

pulp46
Premium

That was 1 day for the 10 GIG. I know he has a slower package, like 10 Mbps, maybe 12?

kovy

said by pulp46:

That was 1 day for the 10 GIG. I know he has a slower package, like 10 Mbps, maybe 12?

And did you check out if the usage was upload or download... You need to get details.

And you can go inside his modem, and see MAC from there.

useagebell

@bell.ca
reply to pulp46

thats what my post was gettign at. so that day was showing 10 gigs. what was that calendar date ? then look at the day before if the useage is zero then what i explained above is what is occuring

pulp46
Premium
reply to pulp46

Thanks for the help fellahs, but we'll stop for now. He cut a deal with Bell, paying 5$ more for the extra B/W this month instead of $50. LOL!!! He's keeping an eye on it and it seems to be better reporting the real data. Also, I really need to be there to get into the modem for answering your questions. I still don't like the fact he agreed to give Bell an extra $5.... it's the principle: Judge-Jury and Executioner!

kovy

said by pulp46:

Thanks for the help fellahs, but we'll stop for now. He cut a deal with Bell, paying 5$ more for the extra B/W this month instead of $50. LOL!!! He's keeping an eye on it and it seems to be better reporting the real data. Also, I really need to be there to get into the modem for answering your questions. I still don't like the fact he agreed to give Bell an extra $5.... it's the principle: Judge-Jury and Executioner!

Also, other ISP offer higher CAPs... just letting you know.

pulp46
Premium

Yes, I know:

said by pulp46:

Wow,that's pathetic. I'm going to insist he gets onto TekSavvy Cable, like I am using. 300 GIG and I swear they don't even bother counting the usage. Also have Unlimited but no need really.

pat2k8

join:2000-12-24
Burlington, ON
reply to pulp46

I am on the phone with Bell reps and they confirmed LAN usage counting on my bill. Thats facked. I unplugged there modem ASAP and will be going back to my wrt..........

Background, my usage is avg 40 GB per month, last month it went to 150GB. I was transfering alot of data on my home network setting up some friends PC's and such. I know my download habits.

Last night I tracked not downloading anything, but I did transfer 10GB from one pc to another, BAM! it showed up on my bandwidth!!!

I am losing Bell soon, I have my own modem and shopping around!
--
Pat2k8@yahoo.caBurlington, Ontario.

pulp46
Premium

said by pat2k8:

I am on the phone with Bell reps and they confirmed LAN usage counting on my bill.

I'm a GENIUS!!! Thank you for reporting this pat2k8!

glussier

join:2002-11-12
Montreal, QC
reply to pat2k8

I don't believe that. Last week, while doing my backups, I transferred 1,2TB over my network. And today, after 17 full days of usage, my Bell internet usage is @ 45,8GB.

pulp46
Premium

You have that same ridiculous modem/router piece of crap, glussier?

glussier

Montreal, QC

I have a Cellpipe 7130, and yes, I was using the router part of this modem for the network.

pulp46
Premium

I just noticed you're in Quebec. That makes a difference and I have to go with Ontario reports, especially in Toronto area. Thanks though!

glussier

Montreal, QC

1 edit

What does it do that I am in Quebec and you are in Ontario? Bell doesn't compile the bandwidth usage from software installed in the modem or your computers. When you transfer data from 1 computer to another computer, there is no hop outside your inhouse network.

I'm sorry, but, I don't believe what pat2k8 is reporting.

pulp46
Premium

Reports are coming in from Toronto. ISP's sometimes target certain areas for specific things... that is all.

kovy

reply to pulp46

This is hard to beleive, since it's the first time anybody reporting this...ever.

glussier

Montreal, QC
reply to pulp46

I don't care if it's coming from Toronto, the moon or wathever. If bell was was monitoring/filtering your personal network data, you could bring them to court.

Also, if Bell was really counting your network data, it would be everyday, not just 1 random day.

pulp46
Premium
reply to kovy

Well, that's 2 people now. Maybe they are the first 2 to notice and perhaps others are total noobs?

glussier

Montreal, QC

Perhaps, also, that people reporting this are total newbies.

ridiculous

@bellmobilite.ca
reply to pulp46

So let me see if i understand correctly...

Your friend (who you claim is not too handy with this stuff) is most likely right in that Bell is counting LAN traffic, something that every user on this forum has done at one time or another and would CLEARLY have noticed by now.

Furthermore, a fellow poster who just so happens to be in another province claims that his 1.2TB of data transfer did not count, but because he's in QC you cannot rely on it.

I hate to break it to you, but Bell is not counting your friend's LAN traffic. If he did, there would have been an epidemic on this site a few times over.

pulp46
Premium
reply to glussier

BELL contacting you saying you went 50 GIG over your allowance and when you monitor your usage for individual days, only downloading 1 TV show yet the counter shows 10 GIG... isn't a total noob thing. Why so much contempt for the users? Do you work for Bell? Typically, the butthurt is directed at the ISP! LOL

P. S. Love you TekSavvy!

glussier

Montreal, QC

I'm a computer software developer. Though, I did a few contracts for Bell, back in the mid 90's, I'm not a Bell employee.

I'm just telling you, that you are saying doesn't make sense. You are just relying on your friend's information, without having confirmed anything by yourself.

It would seem to me, that the sole purpose of this thread, is to promote Teksavvy.

This thread is going nowhere, so, this is it for me.

pat2k8

join:2000-12-24
Burlington, ON
reply to pulp46

for 13 years I have been with Bell, laugh, it's ok....

retentions sent me the 2701 modem/wireless router last year and i removed my dd-wrt routter. like i said, I told the rep on the phone, if i remove the phone line from your router/modem and transfer on my home network, you shouldnt see it or charge me for it. She softly giggled and said she would talk to tech, came back and confirmed it. I then told her I was removing the modem asap, she said it was a good idea? wtf.

I was away all weekend, no usage, any only transfered 2 .iso images from my NAS to my Desktop last night, approx 10GB. And today it is showing on my data usage 10GB approx. for yesterday!!!!!!!!

I dont believe this is actually ok to do, I would like to bump this up a level and do more. Their is NO WAY bell should charge me for my internal network traffic.

Call me a liar, bullsh*t or whatever you want, I know what im seeing...
--
Pat2k8@yahoo.caBurlington, Ontario.

kovy

reply to pulp46

said by pulp46:

Well, that's 2 people now. Maybe they are the first 2 to notice and perhaps others are total noobs?

It just so happens both users have a 10Gig charge on that day... very very weird.

If you friend streamed a 280Meg file, it still doesn't make sense to have 10Gig extra... weather LAN or WAN was counted.