Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

[Rant] AT&T unable to make calls for 24 hours

havent been able to make any calls on my cells at home for 24 hours, "network busy" head down town and can make calls. i can "receive" them just fine. hit up the chat and told its "maintenance" but they have no idea how long it will take. ok, fine, but its been 24 hours. youd THINK thered be some offer of a credit? even if it would be $3.57 ($107.38 / 30 days = $3.57 per day)

i mean i get it, stuff happens, but once you hit a certain time frame you gotta start making the customer happy some how, and this customer sure aint happy

its not the money, really its not, its the fact there was no offer at all. it was just basically "sorry our craps broke, we dont know when will fix it, have a great day" granted she worded it nicer than that but thats what it came down to.

id love to know what happend to the tower, and it has to be the tower that serves my home, because when i get to the transfer station (legally blind, gotta use the bus) i can make calls just fine.

ah well, nothing i can do but wait. just needed to vent a little bit.

edit: forgot to mark this as a rant. sorry.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

You have a lot to learn about economics 101. Companies will not freely "offer" a credit. In the past, I worked for service providers and during outages, even ones that lasted days, we were told by management to never freely offer credits. However, if a client asked for a credit, we were free to do so then.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
You can post in direct if you want, I can pass the details and find out what happend.

Typically when something like this goes out either something really bad happend (crossbox hit by car was one I read on a DSL ticket once!) or something went wrong in the maintenance of things.

Had one in an office in indiana that apparently the frame caught fire and burnt a lot of circuits. The fire was suppressed but they found it started with a replacement power supply for a DSLAM. Rover tech put the new supply in watched it and worked on other tickets in that office for over three hours. Finished the work, got packed up, doors locked, left the remote, and got 5 miles down when he had to go back.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

i still cant call out, but decided to send in a nice email asking if i could please get a credit for the day, i got a call with in minutes of hitting send (ok, im impressed with that) had a nice convo with a sweet lady, she doesnt understand why i can recieve calls, but can not make calls. im at a loss for that one as well but if i head downtown and get out of this towers "zone" i can call out just fine.

she said she sent in a network quality report and gave me a credit, i was expecting the $3 or so i asked for, really wasnt even expecting that. just checked my email to see a ~$53 courtesy credit color me surprised.

she asked if these where my only phone (they are) and said i "should" still be able to call 911 if need be as thats supposed to be seperate (im not about to call it and find out)

but if your offer to try and figure out what caused it stands ill take you up on it, just for curiosity, if its the tower i "think" it is, its reasonably close to the road so its possible a car could have taken out some stuff.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
we need some info in your direct thread so we can pinpoint it down.
said by thedragonmas:

but if your offer to try and figure out what caused it stands ill take you up on it, just for curiosity, if its the tower i "think" it is, its reasonably close to the road so its possible a car could have taken out some stuff.

Yep, vehicular damage does a lot! Before starting with AT&T I used to install parking ticket dispensers, gates, fee computers, and paystations (Amano). The company I was with had a contract for a hospital garage (maintenance contract) to service all their gates and such. We were doing some upgrades in one of the garages and we got a call on the cell phone stating to head downstairs some damage was done. So me and jim packed up and headed downstairs. Apparently a doctor placed his nice jaguar where an exit gate was! Crushed the gate, dystroyed the box and the field wiring. I spent the better part of the next 2-6 hours (while our boss brought us the amano gate that was for another order but had to have it!) and we put that one in. Come to find out when he hit the gate just right he tore the electrical wiring off the base. so essentially the whole lane was closed down. The Dr was pissed at us like we could just "fix it right back up now and we scratched his car!" . My boss saw $$$$ as they would have to crack the concrete and repair the wiring and bury a box.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

but its been 24 hours. youd THINK thered be some offer of a credit?

Unfortunately, your cell contract does not include an SLA (service level agreement).

In other words, they are not obligated to offer any credit at all.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

sorry about that, got lost in car repair for a while (blown water pump, blown temp sensor right out of the manifold, replaced a few pulleys, next up ripping out the a/c :: sigh :: fun times )

just wanted to update, i sent off an email to them (couldnt exactly call them) and with in 20 minutes i got a call from a very nice csr out of atl. she wasnt sure how come i could recieve calls but not make calls while at home, but could when i "tower hopped" she sent it over to the network folks, and the problem was fixed later the next day.

she also issued a heck of a credit i was not expecting. heck i was just wanting for that one day. still curious what caused that issue though..