Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

franknalco

join:2005-01-27
Littleton, CO
reply to Bhruic

Re: If you can afford the 100 Mbps tier

Non-recurring charges have been rising as companies try to recoup money lost from other sources, at least in the b2b segment. This has been the trend especially in markets where the monthly recurring charges have been under pricing pressure.
Charter operates in a lot of 3rd-tier markets, i.e. places like St Louis. This often gives them an advantage because of the lack of competition. If you have to have 100 Mb service and they are the only ones around to provide it, they can count on whoever needs that level of service to come to them regardless of the NRC. It is a charge many business won't spend a lot of time thinking about. They will try to keep the MRC as low as possible and usually don't negotiate the NRC. So on the b2b segment, the NRC has been rising.
For the last 10 years, MRCs have been falling in b2b markets, not just in the US, but around the globe. Margins are very thin the on b2b side in most markets where there is more than one strong player. What i used to pay for a T1 I can now get an OC3 in many markets, but usually with a much higher NRC/Install cost. NRCs have been rising, and $200 - $500 for an install is not unusual. I guess if you want a level of service that is often consumed by businesses and enterprises, then you will probably have to pay the same NRC, or perhaps more since consumers usually can't negotiate a deal for themselves.