uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2

Foundation crack

Click for full size
Yeah, found this. No idea how to proceed. Suggestions?

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

It really depends on what's on the other side.
Are you getting water in?
I have a similar issue but I was getting water inside. »Foundation crack - water seeping in
Ideally dig along the hole and patch from outside. I couldn't do it easily so I patched with hydraulic cement on the inside after widening the crack. One year later I am yet to see water coming in despite some huge rainfalls we had. That was the $25, 2-hr fix. The alternative was starting at $500 for an excavator (that's how much I was quoted by several places).

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to Hahausuck

Foundations crack. I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you see it expanding rapidly.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to Hahausuck

Thanks guys. What should I use to patch it?

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to Hahausuck

I would not patch it yet, it can be a concrete shrinkage crack, prone to concrete (which it more likely is) or it can be a reason for concern. If this crack is new, at least to you, I would monitor it. It could have been there a while or just happened, who knows?. I would get a monitoring device, so over the next several months to a year you can measure if there is movement and exactly how much movement.
»www.amazon.com/CrackMON-Concrete···+monitor
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Hahausuck
Premium

The crack is new to me. I'd like to seal it so I don't have to worry about water seeping in to the crawl. Is monitoring it the better way?

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

i would seal it so water dont seep into it and just keep an eye on the sealed area to make sure no new cracks start forming.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5
reply to Hahausuck

»www.humboldtmfg.com/c-3-p-260-id-3.html

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5
reply to Hahausuck

Been dry there this year? Soil shrunk back from the foundation?

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to Hahausuck

You can do both.

You can seal it temporarily to reduce the chance of water coming trough it in your basement. You not need to use the epoxy type since those are more for a permanent solution and not flexible.

After that, use a something to monitor the crack...

btw : old or new house and how deep the crack?

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to Hahausuck

yeah ... how old is the structure?
If you're in a region that see harsh winter temperatures I would definitly seal from moisture because if water gets in, it can expand more by freezing and thawing.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to John Galt

Been dry this year but not that bad.

House was built like in 96 I think.

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to Hahausuck

So I think I am going to fill it with some Sackrete crack filler from a caulk gun and then monitor it using an expansion monitor like what was posted earlier. Does that sound reasonable ?

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

Get a dremal or angle grinder (with concrete saw) and clean out the crack to 1 inch deep, remember to wash out out with garden hose. You can't fix a crack unless you can get the material in, and deeply in, otherwise the patch will just pop right out after a year or 2.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by patcat88:

Get a dremal or angle grinder (with concrete saw) and clean out the crack to 1 inch deep

Man that's going to get dusty/messy. Good thing it's going to be done outside. Though I think it should be done outside so he can get the full lenght of the crack.

I used an angle grinder to trim the bumps in a window opening in my concrete foundation. I was glad it threw the dust storm outside the window opening and not inside.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

said by alkizmo:

I used an angle grinder to trim the bumps in a window opening in my concrete foundation. I was glad it threw the dust storm outside the window opening and not inside.

Garden hose set to mist. Use a compressed air angle grinder or 2nd choice an electric grinder on a GFCI. Another choice is have a 2nd person aiming the hose at the cut point and not at the angle grinder. Another problem you will probably have is the electric angle grinder will suck in the the concrete dust and it will build up inside on the coils and brushes. Mine didn't didn't die but I did take it apart and cleaned out the inside after concrete cutting. 4th choice is tape over the vents on the angle grinder. Make sure it is winter so the motor doesn't overheat. I've also done that when leaf blowing snow to stop the leaf blower motor from sucking in snow (1 leaf blower died from snow by I think brushes shorting, severe vibration, and shooting sparks, I did not disassemble it to find out the exact reason). The snow wasn't deep enough for the snow blower, but I refused to manually shovel it, so I leaf blowed it away.

Hahausuck
Premium

Air compressor and angle grinder is the best idea I think. I have the air tools but no compressor. Guess I know what to go I sears for next.

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to Hahausuck

Chiseled the crack to 3/4 or so inch.

Filled with hydraulic cement.

Pictures to follow.

How long should I wait to backfill it?