share rss forum feed

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1
reply to Sentinel

Re: AceMoney - be careful with v4.20+ data file

I just tried the test above and no good! Even if you do use a password you cannot open a file created on one machine on any other machine unless you check that box in the password options to allow multiple users.

After reading the help file it seems that this is a feature to make sure that, in the event the file is stolen, your file cannot be read on any machine other than the machine that created the file. Not a bad idea security wise but it does create a big problem back-up wise if one is not aware of this security feature. It essentially makes back-ups useless.

I am changing the setting now and trying it to see if, with box checked, it will allow me to open the file on another PC.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida

1 recommendation

I just checked the box, created the same password and it did not work. I checked the box created a new different password and it did work. I was able to open the file on another PC with proper password.

OZO, you are a life saver. This would have been a nightmare had I not read this. I am planning on doing a clean install of Windows on this PC and I would not have been able to restore my file. Thank you.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

You're welcome, Sentinel See Profile! And thank you for checking and confirming that it works now.

Locking financial or any kind of important data to program installation is a very bad idea. I know it from my personal experience. Long time ago I was obsessed with similar idea, when I was writing copy protection software, that locks data to particular drive controller, using assembler and low level direct interface protocols. I've eaten a lot of craws then... and got to a strict conclusion, that it's always dangerous and it will always bite you in the butt, rather then helping you in any way. I think developers of AceMoney will have that experience too, when users will discover how dangerous it is to keep that misleading option unchecked.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Sentinel
Premium
Florida

Agreed. One of those things that sounds good on paper but...
At the very least they should do a much better job of explaining that option. The way it reads it made me think that the file was going to be shared, which I did not want.

They should relabel it to "allow file to be open on multiple computers" and pop-up a warning window if you don't check it that warns you that if you don't check that box you will only be able to open that file on that particular PC and user profile.

All my old back-ups are useless. I have to make new back-up files.