join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Firefox 16.0 Released

said by antdude:

said by Name Game:

Just stick with v15.0.1 ..will be fixed shortly.

»news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-575302···ty-flaw/

Yeah, but some of us already have the latest. I don't think we can downgrade without corrupting our data?

Same issue here. Shouldn't they release something that can go over the top of 16?
--
The Alien in the White House

19,694 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by La Luna:

said by antdude:

said by Name Game:

Just stick with v15.0.1 ..will be fixed shortly.

»news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-575302···ty-flaw/

Yeah, but some of us already have the latest. I don't think we can downgrade without corrupting our data?

Same issue here. Shouldn't they release something that can go over the top of 16?

Let's just hope Mozilla can release the 16.0.1 patch tomorrow without any new issues!
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to PrntRhd

Click for full size
said by PrntRhd:

It says 15.01 but when you get to choices, it only gives you 16.0

Strange..here is a screenshot of my download..and if you look in the bottom left corner..I can download 15.01 hmmm.. maybe you have to clear your cache ? or go there with a different browser.

La Luna
Survived Ashraful
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

said by antdude:

Let's just hope Mozilla can release the 16.0.1 patch tomorrow without any new issues!

Exactly. I'm not going to try to roll back tonight at 12:20AM, if it gets borked, I'll be up all night trying to fix it, lol!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Thunderbird 16.0 has also been released. I just got the update by checking "about" in TBird. I suppose there will be a 16.0.1 of Thunderbird any day now.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

1 recommendation

Posted, rcdailey See Profile
»[Thunderbird] Thunderbird 16.0

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

2 recommendations

reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

said by antdude:

Exactly. I'm not going to try to roll back tonight at 12:20AM, if it gets borked, I'll be up all night trying to fix it, lol!

Everyone IM me your Phone number..credit card number..and I will give you a call when it is safe to come out and even have breakfast waiting.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by Name Game:

said by La Luna:

said by antdude:

Everyone IM me your Phone number..credit card number..and I will give you a call when it is safe to come out and even have breakfast waiting.

We're not falling for your social engineering and phishing! :P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

There is always 10%....cold pizza for you then..was going to have the fox raid the coop and have free range eggs with tofu and non gluten rice cakes. bring your own java.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by Name Game:

There is always 10%....cold pizza for you then..was going to have the fox raid the coop and have free range eggs with tofu and non gluten rice cakes. bring your own java.

Don't forget to flash when butt naked! Also, bring some adobe.
--

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Name Game

Problem was on my end, had to allow Mozilla in NoScript, then the page allowed 15.01 to be viewed as a choice.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

OK..well if you take the dive let us know...I would wait I guess..don't want you calling my Mom and telling her I led you astray.

MomOfARocker

join:2009-06-07
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

antdude don't feel bad ... yesterday I started my day with a nice clean update to FF 16. All was fine all day till later in the afternoon when I did 15 Windows Updates. All 15 updates installed successfully and a restart was required. My computer seemed to have some issues restarting after the Windows updates so much so that I decided to do a system restore. After having done the restore I thought I would leave the Windows Updates for a day or so and then try again. This afternoon I realized that my FF was back to version 15.0.1 and I figured this had happened due to the system restore, however, that is when I realized that it was not re-offering me the option to update to 16 again. I started poking around the Mozilla forums here at DSL and found that some others were saying they were not being offered the new FF update also. So I started wondering if there was something about that FF update that caused issues with my Windows Updates. I've just spent the last hour or two doing each and every Windows update separately and restarting after each update to make sure the computer was starting fine and so far everything is looking good. Of course, just the day before all these updates I had done the recent Flash updates so having done the system restore those all needed redoing as well ... pretty much wasted a good chunk of my time. Hope I don't have the same issues when they re-issue FF16 through the updater.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

Mozilla Security —Security Vulnerability in Firefox 16
October 10, 2012 - 5:16 pm (PDT)

quote:
Issue:
Mozilla is aware of a security vulnerability in the current release version of Firefox (version 16). We are actively working on a fix and plan to ship updates tomorrow. Firefox version 15 is unaffected.

Impact:
The vulnerability could allow a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have access to the URL or URL parameters. At this time we have no indication that this vulnerability is currently being exploited in the wild.

Firefox 16 has been temporarily removed from the current installer page and users will automatically be upgraded to the new version as soon as it becomes available. As a precaution, users can downgrade to version 15.0.1 by following these instructions [»www.mozilla.org/firefox/new/]. Alternatively, users can wait until our patches are issued and automatically applied to address the vulnerability.

Michael Coates
Director of Security Assurance
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to siljaline

I don't see any indication that there will be any immediate patching of TB 16.0, so I guess the update I got will be there for a while.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to FF4m3

Thanks all for posting about the security issue with v16.

Considering that v15.01 has multiple vulnerabilities that are fixed with v16, my decision is to stick with v16 and update to the 'fixed' version when available rather than to re-expose myself to previous issues.

Users could also use another browser (Chrome) until the repair is released.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to rcdailey

Noted, rcdailey See Profile

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

Attack code for Firefox 16 privacy vulnerability now available online

quote:
Attack code that exploits a privacy information leak introduced in the latest version of Firefox is available online, making it easy for malicious websites to gather detailed information about users' browsing history unless they downgrade to the previous Mozilla release.

As previously reported, Mozilla officials took the unusual step of temporarily removing Firefox 16 on Wednesday, just one day after it's release. Company officials warned that a security hole introduced in the release "could allow a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have access to the URL or URL parameters." They went on to say there was no evidence the vulnerability was being exploited by real-world attackers.
Article
--
siljaline

Here at Mountain View Chocolate, we’re committed to transparency and choice

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to chachazz

quote:
Update (Oct 11, 2012)
A fix for the Android version of Firefox was released at 9pm PT on Oct 10.
»www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/#mobile

said by chachazz:

Mozilla Security —Security Vulnerability in Firefox 16
October 10, 2012 - 5:16 pm (PDT)

quote:
Issue:
Mozilla is aware of a security vulnerability in the current release version of Firefox (version 16). We are actively working on a fix and plan to ship updates tomorrow. Firefox version 15 is unaffected.

Impact:
The vulnerability could allow a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have access to the URL or URL parameters. At this time we have no indication that this vulnerability is currently being exploited in the wild.

Firefox 16 has been temporarily removed from the current installer page and users will automatically be upgraded to the new version as soon as it becomes available. As a precaution, users can downgrade to version 15.0.1 by following these instructions [»www.mozilla.org/firefox/new/]. Alternatively, users can wait until our patches are issued and automatically applied to address the vulnerability.

Michael Coates
Director of Security Assurance

--

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

Firefox 16.0.1 is out via internal updater!

TH

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

Firefox 16.0.1 may be officially obtained via the internal update mechanism only. I have just successfully updated.

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
Oshawa, ON

1 recommendation

»Re: Firefox 16.0 Released

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

reply to Triple Helix

quote:
said by Triple Helix:

Firefox 16.0.1 is out via internal updater!

TH

Thanks Triple Helix See Profile

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
Oshawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

»Re: Mozilla Firefox 16.0.1 Final

TH

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

Great!

Get it »www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
--

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
Oshawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

Here are the Release Notes for 16.0.1: »www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/16···senotes/

TH

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Triple Helix

Moz Security Blog - updated the update note..

quote:
Update (Oct 11, 2012)

• An update to Firefox for Windows, Mac and Linux was released at 12pm PT on Oct 11. Users will be automatically updated and new downloads via »www.mozilla.org/firefox/new/ will receive the updated version.
• A fix for the Android version of Firefox was released at 9pm PT on Oct 10.

--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by chachazz:

Moz Security Blog - updated the update note..

quote:
Update (Oct 11, 2012)

• An update to Firefox for Windows, Mac and Linux was released at 12pm PT on Oct 11. Users will be automatically updated and new downloads via »www.mozilla.org/firefox/new/ will receive the updated version.
• A fix for the Android version of Firefox was released at 9pm PT on Oct 10.

Got it in updated Mac OS X 10.7.5 and Windows XP Pro. SP3 through Firefox v16.0.0's internal updaters. Is it me or did it give the whole installers (Mac OS X's 32 MB and Windows' 22 MB!)?
--

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to FF4m3

Fixed in Firefox ESR 10.0.9
MFSA 2012-89 defaultValue security checks not applied

Look for ESR update soon - »www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or···all.html
--

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

OK..well if you take the dive let us know...I would wait I guess..don't want you calling my Mom and telling her I led you astray.

I updated to 16.01 today, was not that worried despite some exploit code to take advantage of the flawed version.