Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Speed] Just noticed that Extreme 305 is now available

Click for full size
Click for full size
Was in the Comcast office today to return a rental EMTA/gateway because I put my purchased Arris TM722G back in as the Arris TG862 gateway was junk (although the 8x4 channel bonding was nice). I first went to the Springfield (MA) office but it resembled a Monday at the state DMV so I went to the office/headend in Westfield (MA) as there is never a line and it's in and out.

i picked up a rate sheet for my area and noticed that Extreme 305 is now available in my area but for a hefty price tag of $299 with no bundle discount and you have to rent a $20 per month modem for it.

As for speed, I may upgrade to Extreme 105 for a $40 up charge on my triple play bundle but I do not want to pay a $250 install fee.

No threat of FiOS here, the only other option in Western Massachusetts is DSL (where available). The cable plant itself here is pretty new. They rebuilt the system in 2002-2003.

Sorry for the sloppy uploads, I am currently resting in bed as I twisted my ankle coming out of the mall (and not at the Comcast office) so I do not have the foot power to go over to the scanner so I took a picture of it with my iPad camera and uploaded it using my laptop.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG

Premium Member

Hmmm... Ciena 3931. Carrier Ethernet wireless backhaul ?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Curious it is!
I did a Google on it & it is: »www.ciena.com/products/3931/

"3931 Service Delivery Switch

Ciena’s 3931 Service Delivery Switch is a weatherproof advanced Carrier Ethernet system able to deliver Carrier Ethernet services to almost any environment without sacrificing leading-edge functionality."

Woops Edit: I was looking at a few models & copied the wrong one. Here is the model in reference.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

Who needs FTTP / FTTH !

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

It could be technically possible to get 305 mbps with 8x4 channel bonding on coax.

Ignite
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
UK

Ignite to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Bit of a fail they couldn't spell 'Ciena'.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Who said it couldn't ? But for how many simultaneous consumers along with what everybody else on other speed tiers are doing on a segment ?

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

I honestly just wish they did this on 8x4 with for 130$ a month... in all markets

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

Who said it couldn't ? But for how many simultaneous consumers along with what everybody else on other speed tiers are doing on a segment ?

I could see them putting out the 305 tier over coax, sure. But I think they'll wait for 24/32/64 channel modems before trying it.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
This is full Duplex Gb capable on some frequentcies when deployed with a variation of this, »www.ciena.com/products/D ··· ansport/
They can go big dish on a high point, all the way down to local strand/pole mounts if needed for "cell" density/coverage in dead spots. and every water/cell tower, and tall building near an existing node gives instant backhaul.

everybody seem obcessed with GB or 305, but watch how fast they can reach previoiusly unserved/underserved areas with 20-50-100Mb service, easily upgradeble to GB when needed at a better price point then a new wired plant could ever touch.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

I honestly just wish they did this on 8x4 with for 130$ a month... in all markets

I wish that they could do it on one channel for 25 bucks a month..
EG

EG to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
Double post.
EG

EG to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

said by EG:

I could see them putting out the 305 tier over coax, sure. But I think they'll wait for 24/32/64 channel modems before trying it.

Of course more downstream carriers would be needed to insure that everyone on the shared segment could reliably get their subscribed to speeds bud !

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

24/32/64 isn't gonna' happen, at least not in any widespread way.
It is increadably to expensive to breakdown nodes in to small enough areas to use more than 16, we maynot see more than 8 to any residential account, and this ads yet another method of meeting those few that currently NEED/can afford high bandwidth account (ultra wideband?) and is/should be scalable when demend becomes greater, where you MIGHT see 24/32/64 is feeding more remote broadcast stations for this to fill in between fiber fed/close to the node units until fiber is extended.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Think they will be able to price match Verizon 300/65 which is offered in my area for $215/mo?

I'm seriously considering this over Verizon FiOS which will be available to me by the end of the year.

Two questions for any Comcast folk.

1. Does the 305 tier support IPv6?

2. I'm guessing the speeds are tied directly to the maximum speed is being offered on the DOCSIS network per node segment (right term?). If Comcast were to upgrade the CMTS to offer more channels to their DOCSIS segment, would this plan likely get upgraded as well? (Eg. 16 channels, will this turn into the 608 tier?)

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I need to go up there more often and check out lol, they don't seem to send mail anymore to there service area about upgrades or email for that matter.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

24/32/64 isn't gonna' happen, at least not in any widespread way.
It is increadably to expensive to breakdown nodes in to small enough areas to use more than 16, we maynot see more than 8 to any residential account, and this ads yet another method of meeting those few that currently NEED/can afford high bandwidth account (ultra wideband?) and is/should be scalable when demend becomes greater, where you MIGHT see 24/32/64 is feeding more remote broadcast stations for this to fill in between fiber fed/close to the node units until fiber is extended.

Exactly ! Which is why there is an alternative such as carrier ethernet wireless backhaul (which is deemed to currently be a more cost effective solution) than the ultimate FTTP / FTTH solution.

Active Opto
@lstn.net

Active Opto to EG

Anon

to EG
said by EG:

Who needs FTTP / FTTH !

The next step after DOCSIS 3.0 is EPON or more accurately GEPON.

RFoG has been in Motorola Cable Labs for quite some time in preparation for the next step after DOCSIS 3.0 should gigabit DOCSIS fail to take off successfully.

Did you know why they need a metro ethernet backhaul for this?
Studies have proven that modern IP networks have been shunning traditional TDM/ATM towards pure ethernet traffic networks.This is even more true from new builds such as Google Fiber when there's no old ATM/TDM equipments to retain.

This is why the East Asian countries has been insistently sticking to EPON over GPON over the years. Japan was the first then Korea, China and Taiwan. The latest being Taiwan, EPON only took off somewhere last year when all the while they had VDSL2 for some time.

Why EPON? The secret of an efficient network was never the last mile duel of fiber. It's how you can feed enough bandwidth through its backbone that matters. EPON is the closest sibling to AON(Active Ethernet) while it maintains the benefit of being a passive solution).

In Asia, before they made the upgrade to PON, most IP-DSLAMs were already handling pure ethernet traffic. It doesn't make sense to retain TDM/ATM based services on them by buying the hype with GPON. Economically speaking, GEPON has more than enough bandwidth(1.024Gbps with ~20% clocking overheads) to cater hundreds of megabits of data traffic, simple(only handles pure Ethernet packets) and cost effective.

Comcast is avoiding to name their solution GEPON is because they want to differentiate . The Chinese have been using it for years including separating CATV signals on it over separate bands. US vendors would want to differentiate it because they want to claim that the separate CATV wavelength also carries DOCSIS 3.0+ wideband signals simultaneously.
However way it's still FTTH. Fiber to your door, RFoG splitter, cable TV via Coax and internet to your EPON(ethernet PON) ONU.

Take a look at a prototype unit here:
»www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· 50_US-EN

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG

Premium Member

Thank you for your in depth commentary ! It is technically absolutely correct. I think the average reader here will get what was meant by my comment. It ain't exactly "FiOS" baby !

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Active Opto

MVM

to Active Opto
How soon do you think this will be deployed in areas where Comcast has very little competition (e.g. AT&T and their joke of a service U-Verse)?

Does it require a lot of expansion (i.e. laying a bunch of fiber ala Verizion FIOS)?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Yes and no.
in suburban places where density is high enough for nodes every few miles they could array these as a strand mouted string by extending a single fiber upto 1/3 of a mile from the node (just like the metro ethernet) for flat areas with cell service adding this to the towers (within 1/3 mile, they might even go further if they control the whole path) would cover huge areas, IF the demand is there.

But I wonder what you are expecting, this will still be ComCast (or Verizon, this is exactly what the telco are shifting too.), if you are already on coax this won't nesscerily be better.
The areas that will benefit the most are those with old COAX, rather than rebuild that plant, this will be the last mile, adding new fiber duct only is simple and fast, and areas with no coax but backhaul or ROW already to go.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

My expectation was potentially higher upstream speeds, but I guess that won't necessarily be the case, even if the technology supports it.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

I'm sure if they see the demand YOU could get a fullspeed bi-directional link. while it's unlikely they would add an attena for a single or even a dozen users, IF you have the need AND are willing to pay (notice the modem fee, this won't be the cheapest thing, but will be dirt cheap compared to dedicated fiber to the ???) Also this is early in the deployment, an order now might go slow and have some growing pains, give it six months or a year to get the kinks out and it could be a next day install (or site survey to be sure you get maximum "bars") in a covered area, then the installer screws this to the outside wall with best exposure and runs CAT6 to your existing LAN or a new WLAN and you are good to go.

I have the image of them slapping the reciever on side building with magnetic/doublesided tape/ explosive bolt almost like a mine, while fast roping out of a chopper* but legal will probably insist on a less exciting install.

*your "ONT" is installed before he hits the ground.
would make a good commerial