join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog

Re: [Speed] Just noticed that Extreme 305 is now available

Yes and no.
in suburban places where density is high enough for nodes every few miles they could array these as a strand mouted string by extending a single fiber upto 1/3 of a mile from the node (just like the metro ethernet) for flat areas with cell service adding this to the towers (within 1/3 mile, they might even go further if they control the whole path) would cover huge areas, IF the demand is there.

But I wonder what you are expecting, this will still be ComCast (or Verizon, this is exactly what the telco are shifting too.), if you are already on coax this won't nesscerily be better.
The areas that will benefit the most are those with old COAX, rather than rebuild that plant, this will be the last mile, adding new fiber duct only is simple and fast, and areas with no coax but backhaul or ROW already to go.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

My expectation was potentially higher upstream speeds, but I guess that won't necessarily be the case, even if the technology supports it.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

I'm sure if they see the demand YOU could get a fullspeed bi-directional link. while it's unlikely they would add an attena for a single or even a dozen users, IF you have the need AND are willing to pay (notice the modem fee, this won't be the cheapest thing, but will be dirt cheap compared to dedicated fiber to the ???) Also this is early in the deployment, an order now might go slow and have some growing pains, give it six months or a year to get the kinks out and it could be a next day install (or site survey to be sure you get maximum "bars") in a covered area, then the installer screws this to the outside wall with best exposure and runs CAT6 to your existing LAN or a new WLAN and you are good to go.

I have the image of them slapping the reciever on side building with magnetic/doublesided tape/ explosive bolt almost like a mine, while fast roping out of a chopper* but legal will probably insist on a less exciting install.

*your "ONT" is installed before he hits the ground.
would make a good commerial