dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925

[Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California ?

I have just noticed that on my Business class connection I had 22/5 now it is giving me 27/7 So I guess they have started to roll out the new speeds. Its done in my area I am in Antioch, CALIFORNIA

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

said by greg925:

I have just noticed that on my Business class connection I had 22/5 now it is giving me 27/7 So I guess they have started to roll out the new speeds. Its done in my area I am in Antioch, CALIFORNIA

Did you power cycle? Meh... I am not at home, my connection doesn't show any change from 12/2 without cycling.
greg925

greg925

Yes, I did power cycle yesterday in the evening before I went to bed Because I had a router firmware upgrade available so I did power cycle both the router and the modem. And now when I am downloading files I am looking at speed around consistent 3.5-3.7 Mbps. Before this I use to get 2.7 Mbps Consistent but as of now I do get 3.5.-3.7 Consistent.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Can you run shaperprobe to see if it corroborates these results?

/me power cycles modem and prepares for disappointment...
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to greg925

to greg925
Looks like it's updated here in Fresno, too. Shaperprobe shows 25/7, though the connection is in use right now. Solid 22/5 last week. There was a forced reboot of the update last night, thanks to PG&E.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

ropeguru to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
Looks like it is working here too with no modem reboot that I know of.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7700 Kbps.
Downstream: 36244 Kbps.

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7168 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19261-19689 KB;
Shaping rate: 28746 Kbps.

That capacity estimate is worrisome. I normally saw 129000+ onn the download before this change.
biomesh
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

biomesh

Premium Member

In Houston it looks like we have the new speeds too. I ran a shaperprobe yesterday and got the expected values for 22/5 speeds - now they are:

Connected to server 38.98.51.25.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11675 Kbps.
Downstream: greater than 100 Mbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 9468-9621 KB;
Shaping rate: 7392 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9454-11970 KB;
Shaping rate: 50474 Kbps.

Note the downstream shaping rate normally is about 47000 Kbps with the 22/5 speeds.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Ugh. prober now CRASHES my modem when I run it. It reboots itself.

Also, my download burst speed used to hit near 100 mbps during speed boost, looks like it's throttled down to 60 now. Although if it means sustained 27 instead of 22 down and 7 up instead of 5, I'll take it.

Wonder why it's crashing though.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to biomesh

Premium Member

to biomesh
Lucky you. I used to see powerboost speeds in excess of 100Mb. Best I can do now on speed tests, even Comcast's local speed test, is 36Mb down and 7Mb up. Looks like I have gotten royally screwed.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
Ok so I definitely see more like 3.3-3.5 MB/s down now and 850-950 KB/s up (formerly 22/5 plan), but the speed are erratic and I get very little boost now.

Wonder if they are still ironing out the shaping their doing with the new speed profiles or if something further down the line is still configured for the old profile?

SwitchM4ster
@comcastbusiness.net

SwitchM4ster to ropeguru

Anon

to ropeguru
You do know you get what you pay for right? - Granted if you have the 100meg tier and you get 36meg down now then yes, that would be cause for concern - yet those files were not updated. That bug that showed your speeds in excess of 2x-5x was just a glitch in the Matrix.
greg925

greg925

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 16347 Kbps.
Downstream: 60428 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 9776-10100 KB;
Shaping rate: 7429 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 16589-18281 KB;
Shaping rate: 28728 Kbps.

I was on 22 / 5 business class package and this is what it is showing at the moment.
Moffetts
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to ropeguru

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Lucky you. I used to see powerboost speeds in excess of 100Mb. Best I can do now on speed tests, even Comcast's local speed test, is 36Mb down and 7Mb up. Looks like I have gotten royally screwed.

Yes, damn those real-world, sustained use speed upgrades that you received. Obviously you got cornholed.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

said by ropeguru:

Yes, damn those real-world, sustained use speed upgrades that you received. Obviously you got cornholed.

Yes I did as most of the downloading I do is not long term and sustained. I greatly benefited from the short bursts. I don't download binaries from news groups like so many here complain about.
Moffetts
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

You were never intended to get those bursts to begin with. Deal with it.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to SwitchM4ster

Premium Member

to SwitchM4ster
said by SwitchM4ster :

You do know you get what you pay for right? - Granted if you have the 100meg tier and you get 36meg down now then yes, that would be cause for concern - yet those files were not updated. That bug that showed your speeds in excess of 2x-5x was just a glitch in the Matrix.

I am not getting what I pay for. As part of what I PAY for is the ability to have the initial burst speeds which are included in my package.

Go do some reading about what is provided as it is part of what I PAY for and not a bug!
ropeguru

ropeguru to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
No, I will not.

Business, at least at the 22/5 package, has ALWAYS gotten power boost. Before you go off spouting off to something you have no clue about, go read up on it first!
Moffetts
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by ropeguru:

No, I will not.

Business, at least at the 22/5 package, has ALWAYS gotten power boost. Before you go off spouting off to something you have no clue about, go read up on it first!

I have business 22/5 (aka, 27/7) at the office, as evidenced by the fact that I confirmed that I'm receiving the new speeds. Not sure what type of crack you're smoking saying that I'm "spouting off." 22/5 has always had the ridiculous powerboost thing, but that has always been a bonus. Nowhere in the contract that I, or you, signed does it say that we're entitled to 100+ burst download speeds and 35+ burst upload speeds.

Now, based on the speedtest that I just did, it appears that that tier still has PB. I tested it at 38/8, which is still above and beyond what the contract states that I should be getting. Be glad you don't have the 50/10 business class; there's no PB at all on that tier.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

said by ropeguru:

No, I will not.

I have business 22/5 (aka, 27/7) at the office, as evidenced by the fact that I confirmed that I'm receiving the new speeds. Not sure what type of crack you're smoking saying that I'm "spouting off." 22/5 has always had the ridiculous powerboost thing, but that has always been a bonus. Nowhere in the contract that I, or you, signed does it say that we're entitled to 100+ burst download speeds and 35+ burst upload speeds.

Now, based on the speedtest that I just did, it appears that that tier still has PB. I tested it at 38/8, which is still above and beyond what the contract states that I should be getting. Be glad you don't have the 50/10 business class; there's no PB at all on that tier.

You are "spouting off" as when I signed up, it was confirmed as part of the package from my sales person. You are not in my martket and have no idea what was in the contract I signed. However, by your know it all attitude and arrogance, you can a take flying leap!
Moffetts
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to greg925

to greg925
Oh, your salesperson said it. That's shocking.
ualdayan
join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN

ualdayan

Guys, guys, calm down. Powerboost is still there. It's the speedtest.comcast.net that's changed. (And it changed awhile back, not as part of these changes). It downloads/uploads for longer and that means a larger percentage of the test happens at non powerboosted speeds - therefore it reports a lower result. A phone/tablet maxing out a WiFi connection at optimal conditions can still result in a very high Mbps speedtest because they haven't changed the app on mobile devices to use the larger data payload that the website based ones do.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Withdrawn. Mods please delete.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to ualdayan

Premium Member

to ualdayan
said by ualdayan:

Guys, guys, calm down. Powerboost is still there. It's the speedtest.comcast.net that's changed. (And it changed awhile back, not as part of these changes). It downloads/uploads for longer and that means a larger percentage of the test happens at non powerboosted speeds - therefore it reports a lower result. A phone/tablet maxing out a WiFi connection at optimal conditions can still result in a very high Mbps speedtest because they haven't changed the app on mobile devices to use the larger data payload that the website based ones do.

In their defense, ShaperProbe numbers were posted earlier, which splits the PB/non-PB results.

As for the Comcast test, in my recent experience, it still greatly skews results towards best-case PB speeds. I just ran a test a couple of minutes ago and hit 75 Mbps down, before dropping to 23 at about 80% through it. It reported 67.2 Mbps down at the end of it. I suppose that's understandable considering it dropped off near the end of it. However, it reported 22.36 Mbps up, even though my upstream PB ran out at about 40% through that part of the test and dropped to 5 Mbps for the rest of it.

I typically use the Comcast speedtest to check for local/regional congestion (and e-peen numbers ), and ShaperProbe to check for provisioning and sustained throughput. Sometimes I also do an FTP upload to my website to check sustained upstream speeds.

While I find the variance in PB reported earlier to be odd/interesting (ex. ropeguru See Profile's results are pretty close to residential Blast PB), I wouldn't mind it much myself if it got reduced. I was on 50/10 until mid-August, and I didn't mind the complete lack of it there.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to ualdayan

Premium Member

to ualdayan
said by ualdayan:

Cannot say that is true here. I do not get the initial burst at all even on the Comcast speedtest. As late as this weekend I was still seeing the high burst rates, 70+/10+, no matter what Comcast test I hit. Additionally, shaper probe is no longer showing the higher burst ratee that I was seeing before.

So they have screwed something up when rolling out the speed increases. At least here in this area.

Capacity estimation before:

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 20946 Kbps.
Downstream: 129069 Kbps.

Capacity estimation now:

Estimating capacity:
ualdayan
join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN

ualdayan

said by ropeguru:

said by ualdayan:

Cannot say that is true here. I do not get the initial burst at all even on the Comcast speedtest. As late as this weekend I was still seeing the high burst rates, 70+/10+, no matter what Comcast test I hit. Additionally, shaper probe is no longer showing the higher burst ratee that I was seeing before.

So they have screwed something up when rolling out the speed increases. At least here in this area.

Estimating capacity:

Capacity estimation now:

Estimating capacity:

Hmm, maybe all the business line owners are rebooting their modems and running speed tests at the moment in your area? : )

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
rebooted this morning in san jose
12/2 is now

Median received rate: 3397 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9843-9962 KB; Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

17/3 - nice.

Not sure why it didn't see a speedboost on the uplink.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

said by ualdayan:

Estimating capacity:

Capacity estimation now:

Estimating capacity:

I am seeing the same thing. Very little or no power boost now. And the shaping is not smooth at all for the sustained rate. I'm actually all for zero power boost if the shaping were smooth for the 27/7 rates, as it would let me do proper QoS and not have to deal with powerboost funkiness. But it seems the boost is kinda/sorta there, but misconfigured, or the shaping for the 27/7 is not quite tweaked properly.

Perhaps SteveTeow See Profile can shed some light?
pflog

pflog

MVM

Actually, I take that back. I am seeing ~65 Mbps boost now. Previously I was seeing 100+. So that's still there, just not as much. I'm fine with that, although I still wish there was a way to opt out of powerboost entirely.
quote:
Median received rate: 7242 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 20136-20323 KB; Shaping rate: 28634 Kbps.

Chester2
join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA

Chester2 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

said by ualdayan:

Estimating capacity:

Capacity estimation now:

Estimating capacity:

I'm seeing the same thing here is Silicon Valley. Speeds have been all over the board since yesterday. Sometimes I get 17/3 sometimes I don't even get close to 12/2. PowerBoost seems to come and go. Estimated Capacity is only a small fraction of what it used to be any time I run ShaperProbe.

Here is my latest test. Note I got 17/3 last night:

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 74.63.50.34.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 1129 Kbps.
Downstream: 2248 Kbps.

Median received rate: 1120 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 2202 Kbps.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
Click for full size

Definitely looks like I've lost power boost on the upstream side, and either all or most of it on the downstream side.