join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

said by ropeguru:

said by pflog:

Well 20% powerboost is still powerboost :/ Unless you're referring to upstream...

Where is this 20% you speak of. Last time i checked a normal rate of 27 with 30 powerboost is 10%.

Shaped rate of 27 mbps, powerboost to 34 mbps (at least for me), which is 7/27*100 = nearly 26%. I calculated it from your shaperprobe numbers though. I think with yours it came out to like 22%.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
said by greg925:

Did you try to unplug your modem from the wall and also unplug the coax cable and wait for about 3-5 mins and plug it back in and see if that does the trick. Because it worked for me

I've unplugged the power for a couple of minutes, but not the coax. I'll give that a try later tonight.
Thordrune

Thordrune to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

Which modem are you using?

Motorola SB6120.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Thordrune:

said by AVonGauss:

Motorola SB6120.

Ok, it definitely sounds like the SMC profile is the problem, as this is more evidence that modems other than the SMC are shaping properly after PB.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune
If you haven't already, try going to the Configuration page and selecting "Reset All Defaults" and then "Restart Cable Modem".
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

If you haven't already, try going to the Configuration page and selecting "Reset All Defaults" and then "Restart Cable Modem".

I've done that nearly every day for the last week or so .
Thordrune

1 edit

Thordrune to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog

146 MB download

1.9 GB download

said by pflog:

said by Thordrune:

said by AVonGauss:

Motorola SB6120.

Ok, it definitely sounds like the SMC profile is the problem, as this is more evidence that modems other than the SMC are shaping properly after PB.

Here's what I get while downloading video card drivers from AMD.

Edit: Attached another NM shot, but from an ISO download from Microsoft. I was surprised to see my latency in WoW increase from my usual ~31 ms to only 53 or so during the download. I was expecting it to be over 200. I don't have QoS enabled.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Which is what I want

Guess the SMC D3G is more finicky with the profile? Or more difficult to configure? Dunno.

*edit* Although 2.91 MB/s is only like 23 Mbps, not 27...
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

said by pflog:

Exactly my problem, hehe. I'm still on the old 22/5 speeds+some overprovisioning (yay Comcast!)

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Thordrune:

said by pflog:

Exactly my problem, hehe. I'm still on the old 22/5 speeds+some overprovisioning (yay Comcast!)

I'll trade you At least until they fix the shaping hahahha
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925 to pflog

to pflog
said by pflog:

said by greg925:

My speed is consistent after the power-boost

What region are you in? Sounds like it's on a location-by-location basis and this region's equipment may be different or require some other changes?

Also, what modem are you using?

I am in Antioch,CA and I am using Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Hey, mine is sooo much better now!

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 72.26.217.102.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7834 Kbps.
Downstream: 31965 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7728 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 31360 Kbps

pflog, you would love my new setup. Looks like I am now hard coded for 30/7 with NO powerboost.

About time to get on my reps A$$ and see when they are going to get this fixed. At least MY original package and contract had powerboost in it so to me, this is a breach as they cannot seem to get it fixed! I know I might be jumping the gun, but I am about tired of companies such as this on Business class connections making changes with NO notification that interrupts normal service.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
Things look much better here this morning

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4198 Kbps.
Downstream: 21347 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Upstream: Burst size: 6351-6386 KB; Shaping rate: 3210 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9697-9844 KB; Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

4.2/21.3 with PB, 3.2/17 after PB runs out.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by JohnInSJ:

Things look much better here this morning

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4198 Kbps.
Downstream: 21347 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 6351-6386 KB; Shaping rate: 3210 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9697-9844 KB; Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

4.2/21.3 with PB, 3.2/17 after PB runs out.

Still bad here, similar to ropeguru See Profile now with less powerboost than I was seeing previously. 4 Mbps powerboost is kind of pointless for a 27 Mbps plan - at that point, why not just turn it off? It's like it's TRYING to keep power boosting, but it won't let it, so the speeds drop off in response to packets being dropped, then back up to boost speeds, rinse repeat. :( Really wish that would fix this for 27/7 people with SMC devices.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7491 Kbps.
Downstream: 32266 Kbps.

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7196 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19988-20100 KB; Shaping rate: 28634 Kbps.

The average throughput is great, but it's erratic and means if something is downloading my interactive work remotely/etc will suffer. I fiddled with ipfw to shape, but while it helps a little bit, it's still not a /----- kind of graph, it's still erratic.

2012-10-19 09:31:44 (3.47 MB/s) - `FreeBSD-8.3-RELEASE-amd64-livefs.iso' saved [356581376]

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

SpaethCo

MVM

said by pflog:

Really wish that would fix this for 27/7 people with SMC devices.

I was going to reply that maybe Comcast likes me better (I have the SMCD3G), but I'm seeing the same behavior again if I take shaping off my connection.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Not that I wish connection issues on you, but I'm glad it isn't just me on the 27/7 having the issue I was beginning to get jealous that your area had been fixed!

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

so this is only business class 22/5 seeing this upgrade not residential

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by redbeard916:

Yes

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to redbeard916

MVM

to redbeard916
said by redbeard916:

So far it's more of an "upgrade"

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
Click for full size
Consistent
Looks like I still have PB on the download, although FAR LESS than what I used to (35Mbps), but still none on the upload. The download is consistent and I am not seeing the ups and downs like some of you are getting.

Guess I will end up having to live with this as since I am seeing the paltry 8Mbps PB, vs the 48Mbps I used to get, they will claim it is still there and as such no contract breach.

I was working with a CC rep via IM here and I think they believe everything is still OK. In the last IM I sent, I asked for someone to confirm or deny whether PB had been taken away. Of course, no reply on that one.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

I wonder why it's working (consistent speeds after pb) for you but not for me nor SpaethCo See Profile? What modem are you using?

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by pflog:

I wonder why it's working (consistent speeds after pb) for you but not for me nor SpaethCo See Profile? What modem are you using?

I have the standard POC SMC D3.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ropeguru:

said by pflog:

I have the standard POC SMC D3.

hmm then I'm really stumped.

jlivingood See Profile - any updates on this? Does Comcast consider this "closed" or are you guys still investigating?

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

jlivingood See Profile still wanting to know if there is any update. I am about ready to call my rep for a contract termination due to breach of contract.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

jlivingood See Profile still wanting to know if there is any update. I am about ready to call my rep for a contract termination due to breach of contract.

The contract that I signed made no mention of PowerBoost at all, much less some specific level of PowerBoost. It only specified that I was ordering the "Starter" Business Class Internet Service. I am not saying that you don't have some special handwritten contract (or a handwritten addendum to the standard contract), but the marketing information on the business class web site and/or the spoken words of a Comcast salesperson are not considered to be part of the contract.

Shown below is the page from my contract that shows what services I ordered, and I really don't see any mention of PowerBoost anywhere on that page (or any other page).

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

I will have to pull my contract and check it.

This is the package that was on my bill that I agreed to:

Ultra Internet Service 08/05 - 09/04 99.95
Includes PowerBoost

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
ropeguru See Profile and I disagree on the PB thing (I could care less about it), but agree on everything else regarding lack of notification, the support folks not knowing what's going on, etc.

For me, my issue is the erratic speeds after PB. I am hoping they fix it, because if they don't and the slower speed tiers DO work properly without the erratic speeds, I will probably save myself a few $ and drop my speeds, and if they try to charge me for it, I believe I will have a case for reducing my speed plan with no penalty. Not sure they'll agree since my "average speed" is near 27 Mbps, though.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

I will have to pull my contract and check it.

This is the package that was on my bill that I agreed to:

Ultra Internet Service 08/05 - 09/04 99.95
Includes PowerBoost

How your service is described on the bill is not your contract.

»business.comcast.com/smb ··· et/plans

And if you look at the Business Class marketing site (and your contract), you will see that the name of the second tier business class service is "Preferred", not "Ultra"; the "Ultra" name is a residential class service (which should provide a clue that what your bill calls your service is irrelevant). FWIW, the wording on my bill is "Internet Service Performance" instead of the proper name of "Starter" (and Business Class is mentioned nowhere on the bill).

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Have to admit after going back over the actual contract, I do not see it mentioned.

I will ask a question for anyone out there though. Which document is the ETF described in? I just went through the AUP, Terms and conditions, and privacy policy and cannot find it. It is also not listed on my contract.

Also, does anyone know how their transfer policy works. I had an initial two year agreement in WV that rolled over last December. This contract was executed as a transfer, have the disconnect for the old location which shows as a transfer, so I am wonder if the ETF even applies at this point.

Here is the link to the terms that were in effect when I signed the agreement here:

»business.comcast.com/doc ··· sfvrsn=0

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

Have to admit after going back over the actual contract, I do not see it mentioned.

I will ask a question for anyone out there though. Which document is the ETF described in? I just went through the AUP, Terms and conditions, and privacy policy and cannot find it. It is also not listed on my contract.

Also, does anyone know how their transfer policy works. I had an initial two year agreement in WV that rolled over last December. This contract was executed as a transfer, have the disconnect for the old location which shows as a transfer, so I am wonder if the ETF even applies at this point.

Here is the link to the terms that were in effect when I signed the agreement here:

»business.comcast.com/doc ··· sfvrsn=0

The excerpts below are in the document that you referenced:
said by Comcast :
5.1 Termination for Convenience. Notwithstanding any
other term or provision in this Agreement, Customer shall have
the right to terminate a Service Order, or this Agreement in
whole or part, at any time during the Service Term upon sixty
(60) days prior notice to Comcast, and subject to payment to
Comcast of all outstanding amounts due for the Services, any
and all applicable Termination Charges, and the return of any
and all Comcast Equipment.

Termination Charges: Charges that may be imposed by
Comcast if, prior to the end of the applicable Service Term (a)
Comcast terminates Services for cause or (b) Customer
terminates Services without cause. Termination Charges with
respect to each terminated Service Order shall equal, in addition
to all amounts payable by Customer in accordance with Section
5.3, seventy-five percent (75%) of the remaining monthly fees
that would have been payable by Customer under the Service
Order if the Services described in the Service Order had been
provided until the end of the Service Term. In the event the
Agreement is terminated as herein described during the initial
Service Term, Termination Charges shall also include one
hundred percent (100%) of any amount paid by Comcast in
connection with Custom Installation, as that term is defined in