ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

Weird, I searched on the word "termination" and could not find it. Thanks for the leg work.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

Weird, I searched on the word "termination" and could not find it. Thanks for the leg work.

Actually, I did the leg work for myself, not for you. I find that it is usually quite helpful to read the contract, TOS, AUP, etc before signing up for a service, rather than afterward. I also never pay any attention to anything that a salesperson tells me; their job security requires them to lie (and even the occasional salesperson who doesn't outright lie, most often hasn't a clue as to what they are actually selling).

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Well, I received a call (couldn't answer it unfortunately) from someone in the escalations department who said they escalated to a field technician. But since it's not a localized issue, I don't know what good will come of it, other than me having to work from home to meet said technician.
ComcastDJ
join:2012-10-18
Philadelphia, PA

ComcastDJ to greg925

to greg925
Is anyone here still having issues with your speeds outside of power boost?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ComcastDJ:

Is anyone here still having issues with your speeds outside of power boost?

Yes, though I have not rebooted my modem in a few days (since I was not told here or otherwise that more changes had been made).

Should we be rebooting our modems and testing again?

m00ster
join:2002-10-13
Houston, TX

m00ster to ComcastDJ

to ComcastDJ
I am not having any speed issues outside of odd powerboost behavior here in northern california. Downstream PB is all but gone, and upstream PB is overinflated.

for instance on my 27/7 connection I usually get 28 down and 25 up on speedtests.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by m00ster:

I am not having any speed issues outside of odd powerboost behavior here in northern california. Downstream PB is all but gone, and upstream PB is overinflated.

for instance on my 27/7 connection I usually get 28 down and 25 up on speedtests.

So your speeds are consistent after downstream PB ends? Also weird that you're getting powerboost on upstream. Mine's non-existent as are others on 27/7.

What a mess.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by pflog:

said by m00ster:

So your speeds are consistent after downstream PB ends? Also weird that you're getting powerboost on upstream. Mine's non-existent as are others on 27/7.

What a mess.

Mine are on 15/3 with the SMCd3 modem. PB seems to be there too (about 25/5 with PB dropping to 15/3 after.... steady full speed after PB either up or down.)

m00ster
join:2002-10-13
Houston, TX

m00ster to pflog

to pflog
The downstream is Consistent after PB, there just seems to be none on the downstream. I see powerboost, but only for the first couple seconds or so. It drops off really quick to the shaped speed.
ComcastDJ
Philadelphia, PA

ComcastDJ to pflog

to pflog
said by pflog:

If you are not getting the new speeds, a reboot would force the modem to take the new config. The configs haven't changed since last week.

Thank you.
DJ

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Click for full size
said by ComcastDJ:

said by pflog:

If you are not getting the new speeds, a reboot would force the modem to take the new config. The configs haven't changed since last week.

Thank you.
DJ

Nope, not working for me. Still see very erratic speeds.
ComcastDJ
Philadelphia, PA

ComcastDJ

said by pflog:

said by ComcastDJ:

said by pflog:

Thank you.
DJ

Nope, not working for me. Still see very erratic speeds.

Can you post ShaperProbe results also?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ComcastDJ:

Can you post ShaperProbe results also?

Sure, but the average overall speed is fine. The speeds just bounce constantly between like 5MB/s (way above subscribed rate) and then down below 2MB/s (TCP stack reacting to packet loss).

It's clearly not being shaped properly after PB.

Shaperprobe results:

Connected to server 83.212.4.36.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7275 Kbps.
Downstream: 34500 Kbps.

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7275 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 20790-20986 KB; Shaping rate: 28448 Kbps.

pflog

pflog

MVM

Click for full size
0-10 seconds
Click for full size
10-20 seconds
Click for full size
20-30 seconds
Here's the IO graph for the first, second and third 10 seconds. You can see when power boost ends, the speeds going nuts.
ComcastDJ
Philadelphia, PA

ComcastDJ

Got ya. Is this causing issues for something you are doing on this connection?

Thank you.
DJ

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ComcastDJ:

Got ya. Is this causing issues for something you are doing on this connection?

Thank you.
DJ

Yes, it affects latency sensitive applications (e.g. working remotely over VPN to a VNC session).

But more to the point - it's just plain broken. If this is "ok" and Comcast has no plans to fix it, we need to know ASAP, because, at least for me, I would look into either downgrading my speeds or seeking alternatives to the service (without an ETF).
pflog

pflog to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
ropeguru See Profile - since you said you're not seeing the erratic speeds after PB ends, would you mind collecting some data? There is a wireshark version for windows if you're not on a mac/linux/bsd box. Would you mind generating a pcap trace as I've done so I can look at it?

I can help you find a local mirror so we're comparing apples to apples for the test.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by pflog:

ropeguru See Profile - since you said you're not seeing the erratic speeds after PB ends, would you mind collecting some data? There is a wireshark version for windows if you're not on a mac/linux/bsd box. Would you mind generating a pcap trace as I've done so I can look at it?

I can help you find a local mirror so we're comparing apples to apples for the test.

I'd be happy to as well (via linux) for 15/3 speeds

Edit: just tell me what to do to recreate your scenario

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by JohnInSJ:

said by pflog:

Thanks appreciate it! I've been doing the following:

as root: tcpdump -i em0 -w speed.pcap host 204.152.184.73
as user: wget »ftp://freebsd.isc.org/pub/Free ··· vefs.iso

Then I open up speed.pcap in wireshark, then click the Statistics menu and then IO graph (thanks SpaethCo See Profile for the info on IO graph, it's much better than the tcp throughput graph).

From there, to get those 3 10s groups of images, I set:

X axis tick interval: 0.01s
X axis pixels per tick: 1
Y axis units: Bytes/tick

Then you can scroll left/right to see a zoomed in view of the traffic. In my cast right around 23.5 seconds in, speeds fall off then go into their sawtooth pattern. Your duration of PB may vary of course

Thanks for doing this!

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
I will do it for you on Saturday. My computer has been taken over by the zombie wife hand braking Halloween movies.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ropeguru:

I will do it for you on Saturday. My computer has been taken over by the zombie wife hand braking Halloween movies.

haha no worries, thanks!
pflog

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
Click for full size
beginning
Click for full size
after powerboost
And just to prove it's NOT a TCP stack thing, I used a usenet connection to throw 20 threads at a connection to see if the overall throughput would be "flat". Not in the least.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Click for full size
during speedboost
Click for full size
after speedboost
Mine looks pretty awesome. ~20 seconds of speedboost, then it drops down and is solid.

Edit: test run at ~7am Saturday 10/27 - network was quiet, everyone else still sleeping

Host machine: Linux schettino.us 2.6.32-42-generic-pae #95-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 25 16:13:09 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

Modem: SMCD3 (uptime is 9 days, so last reboot was 18th)

Plan is "Stater" with 5 static IPs.
said by pflog:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by pflog:

Thanks appreciate it! I've been doing the following:

as root: tcpdump -i em0 -w speed.pcap host 204.152.184.73
as user: wget »ftp://freebsd.isc.org/pub/Free ··· vefs.iso

Then I open up speed.pcap in wireshark, then click the Statistics menu and then IO graph (thanks SpaethCo See Profile for the info on IO graph, it's much better than the tcp throughput graph).

From there, to get those 3 10s groups of images, I set:

X axis tick interval: 0.01s
X axis pixels per tick: 1
Y axis units: Bytes/tick

Then you can scroll left/right to see a zoomed in view of the traffic. In my cast right around 23.5 seconds in, speeds fall off then go into their sawtooth pattern. Your duration of PB may vary of course

Thanks for doing this!

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Awesome thanks!

ComcastDJ See Profile -THAT is what the graph should look like. Please get the 27/7 plan fixed.
pflog

pflog to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
Click for full size
windows io graph
ropeguru See Profile - I decided to plug my windows laptop (win7) directly into the SMC D3G to rule out my FreeBSD router.

I see the same erratic speeds (see attached), but what was interesting is that I did NOT see power boost from the windows laptop. Very strange...
pflog

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
ComcastDJ See Profile - not sure if you're in the northeast in the line of Sandy. If so, take care and disregard my (selfish) post.

Any updates on this by chance?
tagreen
join:2011-02-26
Salt Lake City, UT

tagreen

Click for full size
Seeing similar things here in Salt Lake. Though I get much more jitter during power boost than after. The worst is my uploads as you can see from the attached shaperprobe wireshark capture.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Is this the 27/7 plan? The jitter on your downloads during PB isn't that bad, really. Yes, it's there, but at least the amplitude of it is small.

How are you graphing upload speeds? Is this capture during a shaperprobe or are you manually uploading content somewhere?
tagreen
join:2011-02-26
Salt Lake City, UT

tagreen to pflog

to pflog
Seeing similar things here in Salt Lake. Though I get much more jitter during power boost than after. The worst is my uploads as you can see from the attached shaperprobe wireshark capture.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 edit

pflog

MVM

Click for full size
Sorry, missed the end of that sentence.

I can't even run a shaperprobe. And this is bizarre. My connection appears to "die". So I watched systat -ifstat output, and this is what it reports (emphasis mine):

em0 in 1.309 KB/s 141.435 KB/s 10.079 GB
out 7.019 MB/s 7.019 MB/s 1.405 GB

How the heck am I getting 7 MEGABYTES per second uploads? This is truly bizarre. I captured during this, going to check the IO graph now.

*edit* pcap shows 7 MB/s uploads. If only I could figure out how shaper probe is managing that. :p 50+ Mbps uploads would be sweet. Although by the looks of the pcap, it's just sending UDP packets as fast as it can, so it's not actually that much throughput through the modem I'm sure.