Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

Yeah, I called support (because apparently I can't login to businessclass.comcast.net, nor could I create an account, yet comcast.com had worked for years to see my bill). Anyway, while I was talking to the rep, I mentioned the 27/7 and loss of speed boost and erratic download speeds after the first ~30 seconds (coincidentally about when PB would have ended) and she told me my modem stats were bad (look fine on my end) and had no knowledge of this 27/7 plan.

Typical large corporation with the left hand not talking to the right.
noisefloor
join:2010-05-09

noisefloor

Pretty obvious the bin file burst settings are broken. Not I care, I'd rather not have it. »business.comcast.com/smb ··· et/plans is updated with the new speeds.
Tekneek
join:2012-02-19
Bethlehem, GA

Tekneek to greg925

to greg925
Until we lost our connection for a short time last night, we were usually testing anywhere from 55 to 75 Mbps down. Since the small outage last night, it has maxed out at just over 35 Mbps down. We would also tend to test at 11 to 14 Mbps up, and it stops at just over 7 Mbps down now.

Is this likely the result of changes to the service that Comcast enacted this week? We were not given any notice of an outage or other change to the service, it just happened sometime between 10 PM and midnight last night (eastern). I have not called to discuss it yet, because I am waiting to see if the change creates a usage problem on our end before assuming it will.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Yes, it sounds like you had the same configuration/speed profile change happen.

The things that appear to have changed (not sure if these would affect you or not):

1. complete loss of powerboost on the upstream
2. complete or almost complete loss of powerboost on the downstream
3. download speeds are shaped properly for the first 30 seconds, but then become erratic afterwards. Overall speed is great (~3.4 MB/s for me), but the traffic is up and down, similar to what one would see with packet loss or a mis-configured shaper past the CPE.

Anyone else notice any other differences? Those were the big 3 I noticed.
crucialcolin11
join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA

crucialcolin11 to greg925

to greg925
interesting to see a speed increase coming to the business class side. There was a noticed Comcast outage about a week or so ago at our business location. also funny the upgrade happens right about the same time we just switched the connection from Comcast to Surewest now getting 18/18 mbps via fiber.

Unfortunately at home I don't have that option as our street doesn't have fiber installed. I'd be curious if this means speed upgrades might be coming shortly to res service(currently on blast 25/4). I've also been noticing outages here as well overnight lately during normal maintenance hours. Same thing happened last time before they added upstream channel bonding.
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925

I just noticed today My speed is back to the old speed (22mbps) I hope it gets back to the new speed (27mbps) or I will call Comcast tomorrow.

Chester2
join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA

Chester2

said by greg925:

I just noticed today My speed is back to the old speed (22mbps) I hope it gets back to the new speed (27mbps) or I will call Comcast tomorrow.

My 12/2 connection went to 17/3 and then for the last 48 hours bounced around between 2/1 and 17/3. Tonight it is right back at 12/2.
greg925

greg925

I have just restarted my modem and router and still my speed is 22/5 which is definitely the old speeds. I wonder if anyone else is also experiencing this issue ?
noisefloor
join:2010-05-09

noisefloor to Chester2

to Chester2
Try using a download manager (such as downthemall for FF) and download something 200MB in size like an Nvidia video driver. You might need multiple tcp connections per download to see your maxed rate. This way I get a continuous 2MB/s which equals 16Mb.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

SpaethCo to pflog

MVM

to pflog
said by pflog:

So hopefully they will fix the erratic throughput issue with their shaping settings.

It's pretty clear it's set to hard discard packets above the subscribed rate after the powerboost byte quantity has been satisfied. My guess is the profile probably has an option to police or shape, and this is policing instead.

Graph is packets per second in relation to time on a steady transfer from a well connected public mirror.

You can see TCP responds sharply to a surge of packet loss once the transmit rate threshold is crossed.
greg925

greg925 to noisefloor

to noisefloor
I have the download manager already installed on my pc and connection max out at 2.7 mbps which is around 22mb right ?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by greg925:

I have the download manager already installed on my pc and connection max out at 2.7 mbps which is around 22mb right ?

Yes, 2.7 MB/s is ~22 Mbps, so you're still on the old plan.
keason
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
·Comcast Business
·T-Mobile

keason to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925

BC 22/5 upgraded to 27/7 in Ann Arbor, Michigan

Powerboost is working too. Getting 70/30 on speedtests

Last login: Sun Oct 14 00:02:19 on console
Macintosh:~ qr14$ /Applications/ShaperProbe ; exit;
DiffProbe beta release. October 2009.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 74.63.50.34.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 21716 Kbps.
Downstream: greater than 100 Mbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 5182-5491 KB; Shaping rate: 7466 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 14286-15183 KB; Shaping rate: 27477 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe
logout

[Process completed]

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

2 edits

pflog

MVM

Please have the people in your area call the people in my area and get it situated here :P

Hmm weird, they must be fiddling with stuff. Getting no powerboost still, but the traffic looked like it was more consistent watching ifstat during this run of prober:
quote:
DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.215.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7548 Kbps.
Downstream: 31905 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7728 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 31360 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

I was seeing a consistent ~3.8-3.85 MB/s the entire time (longer then PB would have normally lasted). I'll have to run some throughput testing with some graphs to see if it's still erratic.

Nope, must have just been the longish (1s) interval in the ifstat output showing an average, because I'm still seeing the same erratic patterns I was before.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to pflog

MVM

to pflog

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

said by pflog:

I wish there was a way to opt out of powerboost. It would make doing my own traffic management much easier.

You can always self-regulate.

Same transfer as earlier, although the Y axis is bits instead of packets. I'm shaping to 30mbps using tc and with that in place the performance is rock solid consistent.

I don't think the average subscriber should have to configure this to deal with the traffic management discards that are occurring, however, "opting out" of powerboost is always an option by traffic management on our side of the cable modem.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Yeah, I should fiddle with ALTQ, I hadn't in the past because while I don't necessarily want PB, it does come in handy, especially the upstream PB.

What rate are you capping it at?
pflog

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
Has anyone gotten in touch with someone in support who understands the problem here? I tried, but they didn't even know about the 27/7 plan, so "as long as you're getting 22 mbps, you're fine" was the response I got. I suppose I could try another call in and hope I get someone else who may understand, or maybe I can try the direct forum.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
said by greg925:

I have just noticed that on my Business class connection I had 22/5 now it is giving me 27/7 So I guess they have started to roll out the new speeds. Its done in my area I am in Antioch, CALIFORNIA

Not to worry. We noticed and are working the issue.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by jlivingood:

said by greg925:

I have just noticed that on my Business class connection I had 22/5 now it is giving me 27/7 So I guess they have started to roll out the new speeds. Its done in my area I am in Antioch, CALIFORNIA

Thanks for the confirmation! Appreciate it
greg925

greg925

So I called Comcast that I was not getting the speed of 27/7 they told me that it would take effect next month on the 15th so then I would get the speed .. Hmmm

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to jlivingood

MVM

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

said by greg925:

Just to double check, will we need to reboot our modems to get the fix? Or is it something beyond the CPE?
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
said by greg925:

So I called Comcast that I was not getting the speed of 27/7 they told me that it would take effect next month on the 15th so then I would get the speed .. Hmmm

Interesting. I haven't tried calling them yet, but I'm still on 22/5 .

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Thordrune:

said by greg925:

have you power cycled your modem?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Thordrune

MVM

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

said by greg925:

You may want to wait until they've ironed out the shaping stuff on the new profile
greg925

greg925

Only thing I wonder is I was getting the speed on the very first day of 27/7 and then it rolled back to 22/5 I wonder what happened and there was 2 person I spoke too so the first lady said I should be getting 27/7 and the 2nd person when I called back when I was still not getting the speed said you should be getting 22/5. 27/7 does not take effect till the next month on the 15th. So what do you guys think should I call Comcast again.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Perhaps they rolled you back due to the shaping thing? I have not tried rebooting my modem to see if I wind up back on 22/5, but that could be what happened.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

Has anyone gotten in touch with someone in support who understands the problem here? I tried, but they didn't even know about the 27/7 plan, so "as long as you're getting 22 mbps, you're fine" was the response I got. I suppose I could try another call in and hope I get someone else who may understand, or maybe I can try the direct forum.

I just spoke with Customer Care and initially they seemed to be clueless as to what PowerBoost even was. However, after a quick supervisor chat and them getting a lesson on it, they agreed that the speed upgrade had something to do with losing the PowerBoost feature and they have escalated to their engineering team. I also made sure to get a ticket number for the issue ans was assured that once the issue is resolved I will get a call back.

I will keep you updated.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
said by greg925:

Only thing I wonder is I was getting the speed on the very first day of 27/7 and then it rolled back to 22/5 I wonder what happened and there was 2 person I spoke too so the first lady said I should be getting 27/7 and the 2nd person when I called back when I was still not getting the speed said you should be getting 22/5. 27/7 does not take effect till the next month on the 15th. So what do you guys think should I call Comcast again.

Well, FWIW, I rebooted my modem to see if I'd pick back up the 22/5 profile. No dice, still seeing the 27/7 profile. So not sure how you wound up back on 22/5.
Windogg
join:2002-07-24
Redwood City, CA

Windogg to greg925

to greg925
27/7 for me in San Jose, CA after a reboot. No upstream powerboost but I'll take the faster overall speeds.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

have you power cycled your modem?

Yes, several times. Resets/reboots, and/or unplugging the power for several minutes.