spc
Search similar:

uniqs
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925 to noisefloor

to noisefloor

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

I have the download manager already installed on my pc and connection max out at 2.7 mbps which is around 22mb right ?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by greg925:

I have the download manager already installed on my pc and connection max out at 2.7 mbps which is around 22mb right ?

Yes, 2.7 MB/s is ~22 Mbps, so you're still on the old plan.
keason
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
·Comcast Business
·T-Mobile

keason to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925

BC 22/5 upgraded to 27/7 in Ann Arbor, Michigan

Powerboost is working too. Getting 70/30 on speedtests

Last login: Sun Oct 14 00:02:19 on console
Macintosh:~ qr14$ /Applications/ShaperProbe ; exit;
DiffProbe beta release. October 2009.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 74.63.50.34.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 21716 Kbps.
Downstream: greater than 100 Mbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 5182-5491 KB; Shaping rate: 7466 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 14286-15183 KB; Shaping rate: 27477 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe
logout

[Process completed]

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

2 edits

pflog

MVM

Please have the people in your area call the people in my area and get it situated here :P

Hmm weird, they must be fiddling with stuff. Getting no powerboost still, but the traffic looked like it was more consistent watching ifstat during this run of prober:
quote:
DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.215.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7548 Kbps.
Downstream: 31905 Kbps.

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7728 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 31360 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

I was seeing a consistent ~3.8-3.85 MB/s the entire time (longer then PB would have normally lasted). I'll have to run some throughput testing with some graphs to see if it's still erratic.

Nope, must have just been the longish (1s) interval in the ifstat output showing an average, because I'm still seeing the same erratic patterns I was before.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to pflog

MVM

to pflog

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

said by pflog:

I wish there was a way to opt out of powerboost. It would make doing my own traffic management much easier.

You can always self-regulate.

Same transfer as earlier, although the Y axis is bits instead of packets. I'm shaping to 30mbps using tc and with that in place the performance is rock solid consistent.

I don't think the average subscriber should have to configure this to deal with the traffic management discards that are occurring, however, "opting out" of powerboost is always an option by traffic management on our side of the cable modem.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Yeah, I should fiddle with ALTQ, I hadn't in the past because while I don't necessarily want PB, it does come in handy, especially the upstream PB.

What rate are you capping it at?
pflog

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
Has anyone gotten in touch with someone in support who understands the problem here? I tried, but they didn't even know about the 27/7 plan, so "as long as you're getting 22 mbps, you're fine" was the response I got. I suppose I could try another call in and hope I get someone else who may understand, or maybe I can try the direct forum.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
said by greg925:

I have just noticed that on my Business class connection I had 22/5 now it is giving me 27/7 So I guess they have started to roll out the new speeds. Its done in my area I am in Antioch, CALIFORNIA

Not to worry. We noticed and are working the issue.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by jlivingood:

said by greg925:

I have just noticed that on my Business class connection I had 22/5 now it is giving me 27/7 So I guess they have started to roll out the new speeds. Its done in my area I am in Antioch, CALIFORNIA

Thanks for the confirmation! Appreciate it
greg925

greg925

So I called Comcast that I was not getting the speed of 27/7 they told me that it would take effect next month on the 15th so then I would get the speed .. Hmmm

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to jlivingood

MVM

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

said by greg925:

Just to double check, will we need to reboot our modems to get the fix? Or is it something beyond the CPE?
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
said by greg925:

So I called Comcast that I was not getting the speed of 27/7 they told me that it would take effect next month on the 15th so then I would get the speed .. Hmmm

Interesting. I haven't tried calling them yet, but I'm still on 22/5 .

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Thordrune:

said by greg925:

have you power cycled your modem?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Thordrune

MVM

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

said by greg925:

You may want to wait until they've ironed out the shaping stuff on the new profile
greg925

greg925

Only thing I wonder is I was getting the speed on the very first day of 27/7 and then it rolled back to 22/5 I wonder what happened and there was 2 person I spoke too so the first lady said I should be getting 27/7 and the 2nd person when I called back when I was still not getting the speed said you should be getting 22/5. 27/7 does not take effect till the next month on the 15th. So what do you guys think should I call Comcast again.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Perhaps they rolled you back due to the shaping thing? I have not tried rebooting my modem to see if I wind up back on 22/5, but that could be what happened.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

Has anyone gotten in touch with someone in support who understands the problem here? I tried, but they didn't even know about the 27/7 plan, so "as long as you're getting 22 mbps, you're fine" was the response I got. I suppose I could try another call in and hope I get someone else who may understand, or maybe I can try the direct forum.

I just spoke with Customer Care and initially they seemed to be clueless as to what PowerBoost even was. However, after a quick supervisor chat and them getting a lesson on it, they agreed that the speed upgrade had something to do with losing the PowerBoost feature and they have escalated to their engineering team. I also made sure to get a ticket number for the issue ans was assured that once the issue is resolved I will get a call back.

I will keep you updated.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
said by greg925:

Only thing I wonder is I was getting the speed on the very first day of 27/7 and then it rolled back to 22/5 I wonder what happened and there was 2 person I spoke too so the first lady said I should be getting 27/7 and the 2nd person when I called back when I was still not getting the speed said you should be getting 22/5. 27/7 does not take effect till the next month on the 15th. So what do you guys think should I call Comcast again.

Well, FWIW, I rebooted my modem to see if I'd pick back up the 22/5 profile. No dice, still seeing the 27/7 profile. So not sure how you wound up back on 22/5.
Windogg
join:2002-07-24
Redwood City, CA

Windogg to greg925

to greg925
27/7 for me in San Jose, CA after a reboot. No upstream powerboost but I'll take the faster overall speeds.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

have you power cycled your modem?

Yes, several times. Resets/reboots, and/or unplugging the power for several minutes.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Windogg

MVM

to Windogg
said by Windogg:

27/7 for me in San Jose, CA after a reboot. No upstream powerboost but I'll take the faster overall speeds.

For the record, I could care less about power boost. What I don't like is the erratic speeds and shaper-induced speed fluctuations due to the packet loss. I desire consistency on a business connection most of all, and while I can achieve this (mostly) with local shaping efforts, I should a) not have to do this and b) not have to adjust my own settings in a reactive way due to lack of notification by Comcast. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across as unappreciative of a speed increase, but the lack of communication and subsequent ignorance of (at least in my calls) the support staff (not their fault) is unacceptable for a business class service.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

said by pflog:

the lack of communication

In all fairness, this type of thing should have been completely transparent to end users like us. I highly doubt they planned to misconfigure the shaping as part of the deployment.

I get the frustration, but it reads a little like this:

Like any large network, Comcast has a change management process. If it's like any company I've worked for, this process involves a needlessly complex approval procedure that usually results in dealing with a group of folks who don't understand the problem, have no clue about the implementation complexity, and who will deny/delay the change for days/weeks because it failed some risk assessment that is applied so inconsistently that the logic source can only be a Magic 8 ball.

The big company will do its thing, and quietly this will get fixed at some point in the (hopefully) near future.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

pflog

MVM

Oh I know, trust me I do. I deal with this most days at work.

However, as ropeguru See Profile said, they're being extremely cautious and meticulous with the IPv6 deployment. Why can't they take similar precautions with things like this? I can understand that at face value it's a value add and a great "freebie", but if not deployed correctly, it has its negatives (as we have seen in this thread).

Agreed that it certainly wasn't intentional and that they are working hard to resolve it quickly, I just find it odd that their website (marketing material) was updated before the general business customer even knew about it.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

said by pflog:

I just find it odd that their website (marketing material) was updated before the general business customer even knew about it.

How else would business customers know about this besides marketing material?

For what it's worth, I did receive this in the mail a few days ago:

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

ropeguru

Premium Member

Maybe some direct email communication with the customer advising them a change is going to occur? Maybe putting a change notification in their bill? Over the last three bills, my package name has been changed twice. So that is three bills and three different package names.

What pflog is eluding to is that they have updated their sales material but haven't even let their current customers know. I might tolerate this a little more as a residential customer but I don't as a premium paying business customer.
Tekneek
join:2012-02-19
Bethlehem, GA

Tekneek to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo
We've still received no notification of a change. If not for the modem requiring a reboot, I can't say for sure if we would have known of it at all.

We generally do speed tests after modem reboots. When those had a result vastly different from the previous norm, that's when I noticed discussion of changes here and the new plans on the Comcast Business site.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
I recommend folks reboot their modems...

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by jlivingood:

Firmware Version 1.4.0.49.7-CCR - seems the same as before reboot.

Same results:

Median received rate: 3845 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9843-9973 KB; Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

Still seeing the same results.

Also, I got a call back from second level support basically blowing smoke you know where, in my opinion.

Here is basically the explanation I was given:

1. PowerBoost not a consistent feature for business class service
2. There are a max number of times PowerBoost can be used in a month
3. PowerBoost is only available if the bandwidth is available on their servers

So, I completely understand and agree with number 3. This has always been the case as it is a best effort service given current utilization. I do not agree with points 1 and 2. Ever since I have had Comcast Business Class service, both in VA where I am now and previously in WV, PowerBoost has ALWAYS given me 70+/10 Mbps for its typical short time, and always for an entire speed test from speedtest.comcast.net, and I have never hit a maximum number of times per month. For point number 2, if it is not a consistent feature with Business Class Service, then do not advertise ir sell it as such. I have had confirmation from my sales rep and my past bills that I had a Comcast Business Class package w/ PowerBoost.

So if all the points above are true, then why I have gotten PowerBoost EVERY time up until the new speed changes? Somehow, I don't believe we will EVER get a straight and consistent answer to this question and we will remain from now on in the current situation we are in because comcast is there just to take their customers money and nothing else.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 edit

pflog to jlivingood

MVM

to jlivingood
Click for full size
Click for full size
same old
No change here for me after rebooting my modem:
quote:
Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7203 Kbps.
Downstream: 34536 Kbps.

Median received rate: 7168 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 20089-20290 KB; Shaping rate: 28448 Kbps.

Fetching a large file from a fast/local mirror shows the same erratic pattern of traffic (see attached).

*edit* Definitely seeing the same behavior as before here. Perhaps my area hasn't received the fix?