Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to Windogg

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

said by Windogg:

27/7 for me in San Jose, CA after a reboot. No upstream powerboost but I'll take the faster overall speeds.

For the record, I could care less about power boost. What I don't like is the erratic speeds and shaper-induced speed fluctuations due to the packet loss. I desire consistency on a business connection most of all, and while I can achieve this (mostly) with local shaping efforts, I should a) not have to do this and b) not have to adjust my own settings in a reactive way due to lack of notification by Comcast. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across as unappreciative of a speed increase, but the lack of communication and subsequent ignorance of (at least in my calls) the support staff (not their fault) is unacceptable for a business class service.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
said by pflog:

the lack of communication

In all fairness, this type of thing should have been completely transparent to end users like us. I highly doubt they planned to misconfigure the shaping as part of the deployment.

I get the frustration, but it reads a little like this:

Like any large network, Comcast has a change management process. If it's like any company I've worked for, this process involves a needlessly complex approval procedure that usually results in dealing with a group of folks who don't understand the problem, have no clue about the implementation complexity, and who will deny/delay the change for days/weeks because it failed some risk assessment that is applied so inconsistently that the logic source can only be a Magic 8 ball.

The big company will do its thing, and quietly this will get fixed at some point in the (hopefully) near future.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

Oh I know, trust me I do. I deal with this most days at work.

However, as ropeguru See Profile said, they're being extremely cautious and meticulous with the IPv6 deployment. Why can't they take similar precautions with things like this? I can understand that at face value it's a value add and a great "freebie", but if not deployed correctly, it has its negatives (as we have seen in this thread).

Agreed that it certainly wasn't intentional and that they are working hard to resolve it quickly, I just find it odd that their website (marketing material) was updated before the general business customer even knew about it.
--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
said by pflog:

I just find it odd that their website (marketing material) was updated before the general business customer even knew about it.

How else would business customers know about this besides marketing material?

For what it's worth, I did receive this in the mail a few days ago:

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit
Maybe some direct email communication with the customer advising them a change is going to occur? Maybe putting a change notification in their bill? Over the last three bills, my package name has been changed twice. So that is three bills and three different package names.

What pflog is eluding to is that they have updated their sales material but haven't even let their current customers know. I might tolerate this a little more as a residential customer but I don't as a premium paying business customer.

Tekneek

join:2012-02-19
Bethlehem, GA
reply to espaeth
We've still received no notification of a change. If not for the modem requiring a reboot, I can't say for sure if we would have known of it at all.

We generally do speed tests after modem reboots. When those had a result vastly different from the previous norm, that's when I noticed discussion of changes here and the new plans on the Comcast Business site.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
reply to greg925
I recommend folks reboot their modems...
--
JL
Comcast

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by jlivingood:

Firmware Version 1.4.0.49.7-CCR - seems the same as before reboot.

Same results:
Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 3845 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9843-9973 KB; Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

--
My place : »www.schettino.us

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

Still seeing the same results.

Also, I got a call back from second level support basically blowing smoke you know where, in my opinion.

Here is basically the explanation I was given:

1. PowerBoost not a consistent feature for business class service
2. There are a max number of times PowerBoost can be used in a month
3. PowerBoost is only available if the bandwidth is available on their servers

So, I completely understand and agree with number 3. This has always been the case as it is a best effort service given current utilization. I do not agree with points 1 and 2. Ever since I have had Comcast Business Class service, both in VA where I am now and previously in WV, PowerBoost has ALWAYS given me 70+/10 Mbps for its typical short time, and always for an entire speed test from speedtest.comcast.net, and I have never hit a maximum number of times per month. For point number 2, if it is not a consistent feature with Business Class Service, then do not advertise ir sell it as such. I have had confirmation from my sales rep and my past bills that I had a Comcast Business Class package w/ PowerBoost.

So if all the points above are true, then why I have gotten PowerBoost EVERY time up until the new speed changes? Somehow, I don't believe we will EVER get a straight and consistent answer to this question and we will remain from now on in the current situation we are in because comcast is there just to take their customers money and nothing else.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 edit
reply to jlivingood
Click for full size
Click for full size
same old
No change here for me after rebooting my modem:

quote:
Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7203 Kbps.
Downstream: 34536 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 7168 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 20089-20290 KB; Shaping rate: 28448 Kbps.

Fetching a large file from a fast/local mirror shows the same erratic pattern of traffic (see attached).

*edit* Definitely seeing the same behavior as before here. Perhaps my area hasn't received the fix?

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
reply to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

Not perfect, but looks substantially better.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
reply to greg925
Okay, sorry to sound like a broken record but try again and also post the name of your bootfile if you can.
--
JL
Comcast

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
said by jlivingood:

Okay, sorry to sound like a broken record but try again and also post the name of your bootfile if you can.

Modem rebooted here and getting the same results.

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.168.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7873 Kbps.
Downstream: 35179 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 7728 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19489-19804 KB;
Shaping rate: 28746 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

If I understand the info presented correctly, my upstream is hard locked at 7Mbps with no chance of powerboost and the downstream has capacity for up to 158Mbps but I am being shaped to 28Mbps.

On speedtest.comcast.net I still get 30Mbps down and 7Mbps up. So a slight PowerBoost on the down and nothing on the up.

Maybe I used all my number of allowed PowerBoost usages this month. /sarcasm

Cannot see boot file as customers are not allowed into that section of the SMC router.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to jlivingood
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by jlivingood:

Not sure if I copied this down when he told me, but I think maybe the c05 is the important part for you?

d11_m_smcd3gccr_bciwidebandpremium_c05.cm

Still seeing erratic download speeds here. And my upstream is now slower than it was before (and still no upstream PB).

quote:
Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7159 Kbps.
Downstream: 34700 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 6869 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19866-20064 KB; Shaping rate: 28672 Kbps.

--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

Not at home now, no way to reboot modem remotely... I know we can see the "firmware version" - is that what you need?
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by JohnInSJ:

said by jlivingood:

Not at home now, no way to reboot modem remotely... I know we can see the "firmware version" - is that what you need?

You can call biz support and get them to do it, that's what I did
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

said by jlivingood:

Modem rebooted here and getting the same results.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.168.

Estimating capacity:

If I understand the info presented correctly, my upstream is hard locked at 7Mbps with no chance of powerboost and the downstream has capacity for up to 158Mbps but I am being shaped to 28Mbps.

On speedtest.comcast.net I still get 30Mbps down and 7Mbps up. So a slight PowerBoost on the down and nothing on the up.

Maybe I used all my number of allowed PowerBoost usages this month. /sarcasm

Cannot see boot file as customers are not allowed into that section of the SMC router.

I think your downstream PB max is:

For ~20MB of data (19489-19804 KB)

This matches your Speedtest numbers pretty well.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by JohnInSJ:

I think your downstream PB max is:

For ~20MB of data (19489-19804 KB)

This matches your Speedtest numbers pretty well.

Yep, very similar to what I'm seeing on real downloads, too. About 34-35 Mbps during power boost.
--

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09
reply to pflog
The "_c05" at the end of the bin file distinguishes how many available public DHCP addresses are allowed for that user. For business class it's 5, and I'm not referring to statics.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by noisefloor:

The "_c05" at the end of the bin file distinguishes how many available public DHCP addresses are allowed for that user. For business class it's 5, and I'm not referring to statics.

Ah ok. So I guess we just need to wait for jlivingood See Profile to chime in tomorrow and hopefully some more tweaking can be done. That, or my profile was not updated? Seemed like espaeth See Profile was at least seeing some changes. Mine seems to be the same as it was since the 27/7 speeds took effect.
--

ComcastDJ

join:2012-10-18
Philadelphia, PA
reply to greg925
Are people still having issues with their speeds?

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
Yes, as of right after JLivinggood posted yesterday.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to ComcastDJ
said by ComcastDJ:

Are people still having issues with their speeds?

I still see much lower PB speed on downlink than "pre update", and no PB on uplink. My overall speeds are fairly consistent but I am on the 15/3 (or whatever the bottom speed is) vs the 27/7 one, which seems to have more trouble maintaining its speeds.
--

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
I am also now on the new 15/3 speed tier, but if I turn off my in-house rate limiting I see PowerBoost in both directions (as shown below). Apparently Comcast is having area and/or CMTS problems in implementing the new business class speed tiers.

said by ShaperProbe :
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.102.0.87.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11085 Kbps.
Downstream: 97403 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 4591-4880 KB;
Shaping rate: 3173 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 7730-8777 KB;
Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Good to know they're getting it working properly in some areas. Just have to be patient and hope they can get the 27/7 issues in California addressed soon.
--

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by pflog:

Good to know they're getting it working properly in some areas. Just have to be patient and hope they can get the 27/7 issues in California addressed soon.

I think that in the end we will find out that there is not a single problem, but a combination of compatibility issues that are causing different symptoms for different customers. I suspect that my own apparent proper implementation may be because I use an SB6121 instead of an SMC gateway (which means a different config file).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

said by NetFixer:

I suspect that my own apparent proper implementation may be because I use an SB6121 instead of an SMC gateway (which means a different config file).

Yep. SMC here. SMC, the cable modem we love to hate.
--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Estimating capacity:

Nope, you're getting powerboost to 35mbps and shaped to 28mbps. The burst size detection in Shaperprobe will be thrown off if you still have the misconfigured shaping policy on your device.

I've seen others post 60+mbps speedtest results with Powerboost -- we never got those speeds here in the Minneapolis market. What you're seeing right now is pretty typical to what we've always seen in this market, which is Powerboost limited to the upper thresholds that the marketing materials usually list.

greg925

join:2010-12-23
reply to greg925
I am still getting the old speed 22/5

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to espaeth
Thanks for the explanation. When I was in WV and then when I moved here to VA, I was always getting 70+/10 on the powerboost. THat did not change until after this upgrade was completed.