MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to jlivingood

MVM

to jlivingood

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

said by jlivingood:

I recommend folks reboot their modems...

Not perfect, but looks substantially better.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
Okay, sorry to sound like a broken record but try again and also post the name of your bootfile if you can.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by jlivingood:

Okay, sorry to sound like a broken record but try again and also post the name of your bootfile if you can.

Modem rebooted here and getting the same results.

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.168.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7873 Kbps.
Downstream: 35179 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7728 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19489-19804 KB;
Shaping rate: 28746 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

If I understand the info presented correctly, my upstream is hard locked at 7Mbps with no chance of powerboost and the downstream has capacity for up to 158Mbps but I am being shaped to 28Mbps.

On speedtest.comcast.net I still get 30Mbps down and 7Mbps up. So a slight PowerBoost on the down and nothing on the up.

Maybe I used all my number of allowed PowerBoost usages this month. /sarcasm

Cannot see boot file as customers are not allowed into that section of the SMC router.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to jlivingood

MVM

to jlivingood
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by jlivingood:

Not sure if I copied this down when he told me, but I think maybe the c05 is the important part for you?

d11_m_smcd3gccr_bciwidebandpremium_c05.cm

Still seeing erratic download speeds here. And my upstream is now slower than it was before (and still no upstream PB).
quote:
Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7159 Kbps.
Downstream: 34700 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 6869 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19866-20064 KB; Shaping rate: 28672 Kbps.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

Not at home now, no way to reboot modem remotely... I know we can see the "firmware version" - is that what you need?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by JohnInSJ:

said by jlivingood:

Not at home now, no way to reboot modem remotely... I know we can see the "firmware version" - is that what you need?

You can call biz support and get them to do it, that's what I did

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

said by jlivingood:

Modem rebooted here and getting the same results.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.168.

Estimating capacity:

If I understand the info presented correctly, my upstream is hard locked at 7Mbps with no chance of powerboost and the downstream has capacity for up to 158Mbps but I am being shaped to 28Mbps.

On speedtest.comcast.net I still get 30Mbps down and 7Mbps up. So a slight PowerBoost on the down and nothing on the up.

Maybe I used all my number of allowed PowerBoost usages this month. /sarcasm

Cannot see boot file as customers are not allowed into that section of the SMC router.

I think your downstream PB max is:

For ~20MB of data (19489-19804 KB)

This matches your Speedtest numbers pretty well.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by JohnInSJ:

I think your downstream PB max is:

For ~20MB of data (19489-19804 KB)

This matches your Speedtest numbers pretty well.

Yep, very similar to what I'm seeing on real downloads, too. About 34-35 Mbps during power boost.
noisefloor
join:2010-05-09

noisefloor to pflog

to pflog
The "_c05" at the end of the bin file distinguishes how many available public DHCP addresses are allowed for that user. For business class it's 5, and I'm not referring to statics.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by noisefloor:

The "_c05" at the end of the bin file distinguishes how many available public DHCP addresses are allowed for that user. For business class it's 5, and I'm not referring to statics.

Ah ok. So I guess we just need to wait for jlivingood See Profile to chime in tomorrow and hopefully some more tweaking can be done. That, or my profile was not updated? Seemed like SpaethCo See Profile was at least seeing some changes. Mine seems to be the same as it was since the 27/7 speeds took effect.
ComcastDJ
join:2012-10-18
Philadelphia, PA

ComcastDJ to greg925

to greg925
Are people still having issues with their speeds?

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Yes, as of right after JLivinggood posted yesterday.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to ComcastDJ

Premium Member

to ComcastDJ
said by ComcastDJ:

Are people still having issues with their speeds?

I still see much lower PB speed on downlink than "pre update", and no PB on uplink. My overall speeds are fairly consistent but I am on the 15/3 (or whatever the bottom speed is) vs the 27/7 one, which seems to have more trouble maintaining its speeds.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

I am also now on the new 15/3 speed tier, but if I turn off my in-house rate limiting I see PowerBoost in both directions (as shown below). Apparently Comcast is having area and/or CMTS problems in implementing the new business class speed tiers.

said by ShaperProbe :
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.102.0.87.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11085 Kbps.
Downstream: 97403 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 4591-4880 KB;
Shaping rate: 3173 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 7730-8777 KB;
Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Good to know they're getting it working properly in some areas. Just have to be patient and hope they can get the 27/7 issues in California addressed soon.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by pflog:

Good to know they're getting it working properly in some areas. Just have to be patient and hope they can get the 27/7 issues in California addressed soon.

I think that in the end we will find out that there is not a single problem, but a combination of compatibility issues that are causing different symptoms for different customers. I suspect that my own apparent proper implementation may be because I use an SB6121 instead of an SMC gateway (which means a different config file).

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

I suspect that my own apparent proper implementation may be because I use an SB6121 instead of an SMC gateway (which means a different config file).

Yep. SMC here. SMC, the cable modem we love to hate.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Estimating capacity:

Nope, you're getting powerboost to 35mbps and shaped to 28mbps. The burst size detection in Shaperprobe will be thrown off if you still have the misconfigured shaping policy on your device.

I've seen others post 60+mbps speedtest results with Powerboost -- we never got those speeds here in the Minneapolis market. What you're seeing right now is pretty typical to what we've always seen in this market, which is Powerboost limited to the upper thresholds that the marketing materials usually list.
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925

I am still getting the old speed 22/5

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
Thanks for the explanation. When I was in WV and then when I moved here to VA, I was always getting 70+/10 on the powerboost. THat did not change until after this upgrade was completed.
greg925

greg925

Okay So Finally ! Just spoke to Comcast and they asked me to power cycle the modem from the wall outlet and wait for 10 minutes. Now I am getting the 27/7 Very Happy ! Love the new speeds.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by greg925:

Okay So Finally ! Just spoke to Comcast and they asked me to power cycle the modem from the wall outlet and wait for 10 minutes. Now I am getting the 27/7 Very Happy ! Love the new speeds.

Are your speeds consistent or erratic after PB ends?

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by pflog:

said by greg925:

What's PowerBoost?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ropeguru:

said by pflog:

said by greg925:

What's PowerBoost?

Well 20% powerboost is still powerboost :/ Unless you're referring to upstream...

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by pflog:

Well 20% powerboost is still powerboost :/ Unless you're referring to upstream...

Where is this 20% you speak of. Last time i checked a normal rate of 27 with 30 powerboost is 10%.
greg925

greg925

My speed is consistent after the power-boost
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
I tried rebooting my modem again a few minutes ago (same result), then calling Comcast. They had me run speedtests on the Comcast page, and speedtest.net, which were obviously skewed by PB . I mentioned my ShaperProbe results (~23.4/5.3 Mbps), and they said that's within the margin of error between 22/5 and 27/7, and even so, it's so close that it doesn't matter anyway. They also said that they don't support any speedtests outside of the two listed above.

In short, they said there was nothing they could do. I did get a ticket number from them though, I guess I could go post in the Direct forum, but I think I'll wait until next month.
greg925

greg925

Did you try to unplug your modem from the wall and also unplug the coax cable and wait for about 3-5 mins and plug it back in and see if that does the trick. Because it worked for me
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune
Which modem are you using?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
said by greg925:

My speed is consistent after the power-boost

What region are you in? Sounds like it's on a location-by-location basis and this region's equipment may be different or require some other changes?

Also, what modem are you using?