uniqs

FF4m3
@rr.com

FF4m3

Anon

How To Boot Linux In Under One Second

From Electronic Design:
said by William Wong :

Fast boot is important for applications where a system is not running continuously. Linux is often used in embedded applications where this is the case so getting Linux to boot quickly can be very useful.

One alternative used by operating systems such as Linux and Windows is the hibernate mode where the state of a currently running system is save in non-volatile storage that can be quickly restored. Logic PD takes another approach that speeds up the boot process so the system can respond more quickly. This has the advantage of reducing storage requirements as well as allowing the boot process to select the drivers necessary for proper operation.

Logic PD's new technology is named Zip. I spoke with Kurt Larson, Director of Product Management, about their new boot optimization technology and how it works.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

sounds interesting and great for system on a chip.

Wonder how this could work on normal desktops, I know with an SSD one can already boot a full computer pretty quickly once the POST is completed.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

Wonder how this could work on normal desktops,

Its not new stuff on the desktop. And, someone always finds a complaint:

»www.infopackets.com/news ··· mans.htm

Linux desktop can also take advantage on UEFI systems using EFI Boot Stub (the kernel becomes its own boot loader) paired with either a EFI shell script or Gummiboot.
»git.kernel.org/?p=linux/ ··· ;hb=HEAD

The problem is in most DE's. While you can boot the kernel and crons and a few other applications in seconds, getting to a working GUI "desktop" is much more effort for less time gain. Though I have a Gummiboot self loading kernel (SystemD) into a LightDM Openbox session (Arch Linux distro) booting in 14 seconds, only 5 seconds more than Windows 8 on the same PC. I do not have an SSD.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

strangely enough, While I have found an SSD to be faster with Windows 7 than a standard magnetic drive. When it comes to gaming(World of Warcraft as an example), I have found when loading up world assets at the begining my Western Digital Raptor drive keeps pace.