how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbphoto

join:2012-10-09
Chicago, IL

[Speed] Comcast, Xfinity and ATT all offer different Cable speed

I'm looking to get new internet service and before I sign a contract I'm interested to know if anyone has a definitive answer on internet speeds for the local chicago providers.

ATT U verse is bragging that 12 Mbps is their top end, Comcast is saying 30 Mbps and RCN is claiming 50. The pricing structure is similar by tier... in other words each company's 1st tier is similar in price to the other companies' 1st tier. Fastest service (top tier) from each company is also comparably priced.

I'm most concerned with how they are all measuring their speeds. Is RCN REALLY that much faster than ATT? Yes they say these speeds are optimal, but what is practical for me to assume? If I'm paying for "up to 50" from RCN but it averages only 10, and if ATT is true 12 Mbps, then I'd be better going with them.

Anyone have any definitive thoughts on this whole deal??

bman212121

join:2005-06-09

Re: [Speed] Comcast, Xfinity and ATT all offer different Cable s

DSL is up to 12mbps depending upon your distance to the "lawn fridge". chances of getting the actual speeds with DSL are usually lower than they are with cable. Comcast's 30mbps tier I believe would be "Blast", which is 25 / 4. It's possible to go well over that with powerboost, but it will settle back down around 26mbps or so. I don't know about RCN but I would imagine they are similar to Comcast. You have a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem that provides you with enough bandwidth to be able to hit your speed caps reliably.

It looks like RCN might have the best price / performance ratio. $50 a month for 50 / 6 and it includes the modem rental. Comcast is probably around $60 a month for 25 / 4 (30mbit tier) and you need to rent the modem. They will be upping that tier to 50 / 10 or 50 / 15 eventually.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bbphoto

Yes, Comcast and RCN are a lot faster than U-Verse. Speed is all measured the same so you can go by the numbers. If you're averaging 10 Mbps on a 50 Mbps plan you need to call up RCN to troubleshoot. It should never be that low.

If price is the same, go with RCN or Comcast. Do you really have the choice between two cable companies where you live? It's an easy choice, don't go with U-Verse if you have a better option at the same price.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bbphoto

said by bbphoto:

Anyone have any definitive thoughts on this whole deal??

Random thoughts:

AT&T U-verse isn't "cable" at all. If the max speed they are offering you is 12M, it will likely be "IPDSLAM" service. May be VDSL, or may be ADSL2+. It would be delivered over phone wires; probably between 3,500 feet and 6,000 feet to the DSLAM for 12M maximum. AT&T sells "sync" speed (I don't know the 12M sync, but 6M is 6016kb/s). What you actually see is a little less. Under ideal conditions, for IPDSLAM (over PTM), ~96% of modem sync. So figure ~11.5M actual.

AT&T is not, currently, enforcing data caps on U-verse service, but their stated cap is 250GB. They are, reportedly, charging legacy ADSL users (not U-verse) $10 for every 50GB over 150GB. Once they figure out how to isolate Internet usage from TV usage (some U-verse is IPTV), they will bill U-verse users for overage.

Comcast "oversyncs", so delivered speed generally matches, or exceeds the stated tier. Comcast used to have 250GB caps, but have suspended enforcement in most markets pending outcome of trials of 300GB caps, with overage, in some markets. They will probably reinstate caps with some form of tiering; i.e., 300GB at the lowest tier to 600GB at the highest tier.

RCN appears not to have specified data caps, but reserves the right to manage bandwidth usage in areas facing congestion.

Both AT&T and Comcast are on board with the MPAA/RIAA for "Six Strikes". I can't determine if RCN is, as well. Also, AT&T is known for allowing the NSA access, and retains customer IP address data for at least two years. Not certain about the Comcast and RCN data retention policies.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bman212121

said by bman212121:

DSL is up to 12mbps depending upon your distance to the "lawn fridge". chances of getting the actual speeds with DSL are usually lower than they are with cable.

Not quite how AT&T runs things. If the customer is not close enough to the DSLAM (which isn't always in a "lawn fridge" for U-verse Internet-only service) for the modem to sync at the tier rate, they won't sell that tier of service.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum