mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Wyldfox

Re: [iO] WPIX News Ratings Fall Precipitously During Blackout

said by Wyldfox:

He said that Tribune wants the channels they've taken from us to be pay channels like HBO....and I'm quoting him.

He's not exactly correct. CBS, NBC, etc charge Cablevision a fee to be permitted to retransmit their signal under retransmission consent rules. Up until now, Tribune offered their channels under the "must carry" rules, which offered the channel to Cablevision for free. They are just switching over to retransmission consent so that they can charge a fee for Cablevision's privilege to retransmit their signal. While the cost amounts to usually only a few cents per subscriber, it adds up to a large sum of money for Cablevision. From what the rep made it out to be, is that WPIX was to be a premium channel, this is incorrect.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
said by mbernste:

He's not exactly correct. CBS, NBC, etc charge Cablevision a fee to be permitted to retransmit their signal under retransmission consent rules. Up until now, Tribune offered their channels under the "must carry" rules, which offered the channel to Cablevision for free. They are just switching over to retransmission consent so that they can charge a fee for Cablevision's privilege to retransmit their signal. While the cost amounts to usually only a few cents per subscriber, it adds up to a large sum of money for Cablevision. From what the rep made it out to be, is that WPIX was to be a premium channel, this is incorrect.

I guess you could say that, but it's sort of splitting hairs. What amount of payment from Cablevision to Tribune (or anyone else) would then, in your eyes, make it a premium channel? It's all in how it's packaged, right?

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
Well, there's "basic cable" and then there's "premium cable." This wouldn't put WPIX in premium, if anything I would think it would still be included in the lowest tier, broadcast basic.

Wyldfox

join:2002-01-26
Milford, CT
reply to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by Wyldfox:

He said that Tribune wants the channels they've taken from us to be pay channels like HBO....and I'm quoting him.

WPIX and FOX

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by Wyldfox:

WPIX and FOX

Not Fox per se, but rather Tribune owned WTIC which is a Fox affiliate. The dispute is with Tribune, not the networks.

Wyldfox

Milford, CT
You're correct, WTIC Fox. I did have NY Fox, but they decided to take it. Now if I want to watch something I have to take a 10 min. drive to a friend in Bridgeport that gets NY Fox (5), and would also get WTIC if it was working. If Bridgeport gets Fox for free, then it's time I leave Cable after many years...but I've had it with the games. At least some of the shows I'm missing on WTIC do show up on Free On Demand....but not sure for how long that will happen.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
said by Wyldfox:

You're correct, WTIC Fox. I did have NY Fox, but they decided to take it. Now if I want to watch something I have to take a 10 min. drive to a friend in Bridgeport that gets NY Fox (5), and would also get WTIC if it was working. If Bridgeport gets Fox for free, then it's time I leave Cable after many years...but I've had it with the games. At least some of the shows I'm missing on WTIC do show up on Free On Demand....but not sure for how long that will happen.

The "they" that decided to take away WNYW Fox 5 was actually WTIC-TV, not Cablevision. You should contact WTIC-TV and let them know that you're unhappy about that.

Wyldfox

Milford, CT
I did that when they first took away WNYW. They don't care. That was like taking a part of my TV years...born and raised in NYC. I really didn't care about WTIC, but had no choice. I shouldn't have moved to Milford. Bridgeport also gets Long Island channels that I never got here. I knew I should have stayed in Bridgeport.