spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pmicho3
join:2012-08-24
Montreal, QC

pmicho3

[General] no ring tone on outgoing call

Hi have a linksys spa2102 (with most recent firmware) and a line with voip.ms (montreal2)
Ramdomly, maybe 1 in 5 calls, I dont get any ring tone on outgoing calls. The call goes through when I wait, but its annoying. I dont get that problem with my android phone. I did a hard reset on my ata, but the problem persists. What are my options, other then trying another ata? I get the same problem with Linksys PAP. Could it be related to linksys devices in general? By the way, what are the mos reliable ATAs?
sokhapkin
Premium Member
join:2003-05-08
North Fort Myers, FL

sokhapkin

Premium Member

The problem could be related to buggy SIP ALG implementation in the router. I suggest to temporary connect ATA directly to the modem, bypass the router. Will the problem persist?
pmicho3
Montreal, QC

pmicho3

Router is Netgear WNDR4000. What settings should I check?
sokhapkin
Premium Member
North Fort Myers, FL

sokhapkin

Premium Member

Try to bypass router before making any changes in settings. See »wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/ALG and »www.voip-info.org/wiki/v ··· +SIP+ALG for more details.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to pmicho3

to pmicho3
FWIW this happens as well with Voip.MS with my Avaya 1140e. I don't think it's an ATA/phone problem. Most of the time, I'll get 100 Trying then 180 Ringing, but sometimes I don't get the 180 response at all (just the 200 Ok).
sokhapkin
Premium Member
North Fort Myers, FL

sokhapkin

Premium Member

Hmm, this is really strange and sounds like voip.ms problem...

The behavior is pretty common when IVR answers the call, but not if human answers.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to squircle

Premium Member

to squircle
Concur. Getting "180 Ringing",response from SIP server starts ringing, that you can hear. Watch for this message coming form VoIP.ms.
pmicho3
Montreal, QC

1 edit

pmicho3

Can you explain these refrences to 100, 180 or 200?
pmicho3

pmicho3

Have disabled sip ALG. Will see what it does. Thank you.
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to pmicho3

to pmicho3
this happens to me to occasionally i call and its blank then the other person picks up some times i get calls and the person says they didn't here it ring and i just picked up
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to pmicho3

Premium Member

to pmicho3
You may look at rfc3261. It says:
21.1.2 180 Ringing
The UA receiving the INVITE is trying to alert the user. This
response MAY be used to initiate local ringback.
The local ringback is what you're looking for.
advocate99
join:2011-03-08

advocate99 to pmicho3

to pmicho3
You didn't say who your provider is, but this happens from time to time, especially with VOIP.MS. Sometimes if you wait long enough, the person will simply answer (because it had been ringing the whole time), or the call will fail (because it times out).

Oh, the troubles we endure to pay a penny a minute!
pmicho3
Montreal, QC

1 edit

pmicho3

I have an opened ticket with voip.ms. Support staff seems willing to investigate. I need to give precise instances when it happens. Will see where we go with that ans will keep you posted.
Martin71
join:2012-11-04
Kingsey Falls, QC

Martin71

Had any luck with VoIP.ms? I do have exact same issue using GrandStream HT702 and GrandStream HT286.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to pmicho3

Premium Member

to pmicho3
said by pmicho3:

Hi have a linksys spa2102 (with most recent firmware) and a line with voip.ms (montreal2)
Ramdomly, maybe 1 in 5 calls, I dont get any ring tone on outgoing calls. The call goes through when I wait, but its annoying. I dont get that problem with my android phone. I did a hard reset on my ata, but the problem persists. What are my options, other then trying another ata? I get the same problem with Linksys PAP. Could it be related to linksys devices in general? By the way, what are the mos reliable ATAs?

This happens to my on voip.ms occasionally also. Although, much less frequently than it happens to you. I use a C610 A IP phone, so I doubt the problem is with your ATA.
pmicho3
Montreal, QC

pmicho3

Never got any reply on my ticket from voip.ms. I still occasionnaly get no ringtone on outgoing calls. I tried with most servers. I disabled SIP ALG on my router. This problem also affects other voip.ms customers I know...and they have different kinds of ata.
This did not happen with other providers. Will voip.ms admit there is a problem and do something?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

I've been having this issue too, with VoIP.ms on the premium route to Canada. My SIP ALG is already disabled. It happened with both an OBi110 and a SPA921.
pmicho3
Montreal, QC

pmicho3

Problem is voip.ms does not seem like it wants to recognize there is an issue. When I chat with support, they say the issue is not widespread...when it is.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by pmicho3:

Problem is voip.ms does not seem like it wants to recognize there is an issue. When I chat with support, they say the issue is not widespread...when it is.

Whether it is or not, one would hope that it would be looked into.
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

1 edit

rudeboy24 to pmicho3

to pmicho3
I've been having this issue a lot in the last 2 days ..outgoing calls still go through just no ring sound. all i hear is blank for a few seconds then i hear the person answer.

Edit: i was on montreal.voip.ms ..now im on montreal2.voip.ms will test it later today see how it is on Montreal 2.
pmicho3
Montreal, QC

pmicho3

It happened to me on Montreal 2. I'm on Chicago now. It still happens.
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
join:2012-11-08
N California

SCADAGeo to pmicho3

Premium Member

to pmicho3
said by OZO:

You may look at rfc3261.

Another helpful reference is rfc3960 - Early Media and Ringing Tone Generation:
3.2. Ringing Tone Generation [Page 6]
With this in mind, a UAC should develop its local policy regarding
local ringing generation. For example, a POTS ("Plain Old Telephone
Service")-like SIP User Agent (UA) could implement the following
local policy:

1. Unless a 180 (Ringing) response is received, never generate
local ringing.

2. If a 180 (Ringing) has been received but there are no incoming
media packets, generate local ringing.

3. If a 180 (Ringing) has been received and there are incoming
media packets, play them and do not generate local ringing.

Note that a 180 (Ringing) response means that the callee is
being alerted, and a UAS should send such a response if the
callee is being alerted, regardless of the status of the early
media session.
I have experienced the following (very) intermittent scenarios from the Los Angeles server:

1. No 180 ringing response. I do see multiple 183 Session Progress responses prior to the call being answered.

2. A 180 ringing response with no incoming early media (ringing sound).

Early media is normally provided, so in this case it may be a configuration issue on my side.

There is a possibility that I have not set an early media detection timeout, or it may be set (defaulted) for too long of a period.

As a side note, I find it beneficial that Asterisk is open source software, because I'm currently playing in chan_sip.c as time permits.

erfans
join:2008-10-10
Canada

erfans to pmicho3

to pmicho3
I've been having this issue since I switched from landline to voip.ms....along with many other issues. I guess I am not alone.

On E4200 v1 router.