how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to koitsu

Re: Disk Transfer Speeds

I still have a part of my ZFS volume left over, that is still shared out over samba. I will do some messing around with that, for comparison.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

Cool! Then we can compare results and see what's goin' on. Well, as best we can anyway.

In the meantime I should probably install some Linux distro on a VM and see if I can figure out what their equivalent to gstat or iostat is, for disk I/O monitoring.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Heres a benchmark after messing around and moving my data to a properly formated 3.5TB lun

(seems win7 used a allacation unit size that didn't permit expantion past 2TB) so I had to make a new lun and move nearly 1TB of data over (yay for thin provisioned luns, btw is there any preformance loss for thin over thick luns?)

BTW I think my reltek nic might be holding it back. (so I think I'll get a dual or quat intel nec at some point and do nic teaming)

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

I've always hated Realtek nics; their drivers sucked back in the day (probably still do) and their performance was only average at best.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

Their drivers are... "meh". It depends greatly on what NIC and PHY you get with them; some are okay (meaning no longer suffering from Rx/Tx Checksum Offloading bugs, for example), while others are just trash. My current workstation NIC does have some ARP-related bugs in the driver, pertaining to when the driver loads and begins to handle the first few Ethernet frames coming across the wire (for DHCP specifically). Took me a lot of time to analyse this.

But before crapping all over them, make sure you see the client hardware details of my post here -- because my tests are using a Realtek NIC (on the client side): »Re: Disk Transfer Speeds

My next motherboard will use an Atheros NIC, though I have no idea what sorts of "fun" I'll get to deal with there. The only NICs I trust these days are Intel, and you rarely find them on Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, or other consumer-brand boards (I have no interest in Intel boards -- and not to mention, Intel has begun shipping most of their boards with Realtek NICs! How's that for irony?). Sad panda.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well as my iSCSI has 2 nics and supports nic teaming (as does my switch) I plan to get a dual or quad intel nic (also for the intel iSCSI boot rom, anyone have any experience with it?)

so that I can do nic teaming on both client and array side.

I plan to setup teaming on the array soon, just need to config a couple ports and config the nic's on the array.

My system uses a gigabyte board with a realtek nic., so I'm inclined to go quad.

if I go dual then it'll be dedicated to iSCSI, but if I go quad then I'll disable the on-board nic.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

It works if you have it set up to boot properly, it's not like booting from PXE.

Quad nics are expensive ($120 on Ebay), compared to dual port nics which you can pick up for $30 or so.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well I don't really want to boot from iSCSI but just connect to the array before windows is loaded.

Currently I have to wait at the login screen for a little bit before logging in as my desktop background is on the array (sure I could move the file to the C drive but I'd rather just have a way to connect to the array before windows loads.)

since even at say 2gbit/sec it wouldn't be as fast as my SSD, but I want it to be connected pre-windows.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

Doesn't really work like that, as the Microsoft iSCSI initiator is completely separate. The purpose of the iSCSI on the nic is to allow hard disk-less servers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well I was hoping it'd act like a iSCSI HBA and be able to fuly handle the iSCSI so I could use it instead of the Microsoft iSCSI initiator.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

There really isn't that much of a benefit, since the iSCSI drive should be online as soon as you open My Computer. If it isn't, there is an additional issue.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

From login screen display it takes a little bit before the Microsoft iSCSI initiator has it connected.

if I just wait a little while then log in its fine.

if the Intel iSCSI boot would be able to connect it pre-OS then I'd be happy.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

I don't know, I've never had an issue. By the time I can open "Computer" under Win7 Ent, the drive is already connected, and that is using an SSD.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

It might just be the realtek not connecting as fast as I'd like.

If I log in as soon as I see the screen then I get a black screen while it connects.

BTW I'm leaning toward a quad port intel, because the more I think about it the more I would like to not use the realtek, and I'd want 3 nic ports min to stop using the realtek (I'd like 2 ports dedicated to iSCSI, then if I want to not use the realtek I'd need 1 more port and they don't make tri-port nics)

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to koitsu

said by koitsu:

My next motherboard will use an Atheros NIC, though I have no idea what sorts of "fun" I'll get to deal with there. The only NICs I trust these days are Intel, and you rarely find them on Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, or other consumer-brand boards (I have no interest in Intel boards -- and not to mention, Intel has begun shipping most of their boards with Realtek NICs! How's that for irony?). Sad panda.

Many of the latest gen higher end Asus boards are coming with Intel NIC's these days. You should check into those.