the audio (Youtube video)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4Dh_82···ure=plcp

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

In all of my years of working with Chevy, i have never see this. What a shame and I hope the owner gets what he deserves.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07

said by Jackarino:

I hope the owner gets what he deserves.

I think they already might have.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by mob:

said by Jackarino:

A brand new car or having his car driven like it was stolen by the employees of the Dealership entrusted to diagnose and repair his car professionally? Your reply isn't clear.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

mob
On the next level..
Premium
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

said by Doctor Olds:

said by mob:

said by Jackarino:

A brand new car or having his car driven like it was stolen by the employees of the Dealership entrusted to diagnose and repair his car professionally? Your reply isn't clear.

I'm split on this. I listened to the audio. It certainly sounds suspect, however it's plainly been edited. What was taken out?

The audio clip only contains what the editor wants us to hear. If the test drive was 20 minutes, a vast majority of the drive is missing.

I'm not defending the actions of the techs.

I just don't believe that a 20 minute joy ride is what caused the clutch to fail, unless they spent the entire 20 minutes at 6000 RPM and were slipping the clutch every few seconds.

I suspect the owner is far harder on the vehicle than they are willing to admit and got lucky when the techs allegedly ruined the clutch.

In my opinion - the dealership should pay for the repairs at a shop of the customers choice. The customer does not deserve a brand new car over a bad clutch. That's like buying a new house because a door knob is sticking in your old one.
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to sailor

So he had trouble at two different dealers? And why didn't he have the first dealer fix the problem? Color me skeptical.

How many miles on the car?

And calling a Camaro a "sports car" is pushing it a bit.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by Bob4:

So he had trouble at two different dealers? And why didn't he have the first dealer fix the problem? Color me skeptical.

The odometer is shown in the video. Along with hearing the warranty fraud and hearing the burn-outs and comments about one tech that drives like a bat out of hell according to another tech.

said by Bob4:

And calling a Camaro a "sports car" is pushing it a bit.

Chevy doesn't agree with you.

2013 Chevy Camaro ZL1 | Performance Sports Car | Chevrolet
»www.chevrolet.com/camaro-zl1-sports-car.html
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Bob4:

The odometer is shown in the video.

And the answer is... ???

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by Bob4:

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Bob4:

And the answer is... ???

Watch the video?
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

said by Doctor Olds:

Watch the video?

Maybe I can't right now???

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 edit

said by Bob4:

said by Doctor Olds:

Watch the video?

Maybe I can't right now???

You really can't comment fully without watching and listening.

--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

It's already been established that the audio was edited.

And at 25k miles, the problem should be covered under warranty.

Again, why didn't the first dealer fix the problem?

...Skeptical Cat is skeptical

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Doctor Olds

Im in favor of the owner of the car.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

1 recommendation

reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

I believe those are just stock pictures of random Camaro's that he pulled of the internet to use as a background while his audio clip plays. If you go to the youtube link you can see his full description of the event that also lists the cars mileage as 38,777.

quote:
This is the audio recorded in my car while in the care of the a Service Department. This Audio file is of the Service Manager driving my car like he stole it. It has approximately 38,777 miles on it. It was taken to get evaluated because the gears would grind at parking lot speeds and up to 35mph. I made it clear what the symptoms were. Yet the Service Manager and his crew took the car for a twenty minute, tire squealing; drive it like you stole it, all out thrashing. They self admittedly melted the clutch, then tried to sell me a clutch job.

Have you ever felt cheated, lied to, put upon, and taken advantage of? Have you ever been bullied by a new car dealer? Have you ever had someone look you in the eye and you know they are lying, but you don't have that thread of proof you so desperately need?! Then ask yourself. What should you do? What can you do?

GET PROOF!!!!! PROTECT YOURSELF!!!

These people drove this car harder in 20 minutes than by me in 3 years.
It was taken to get evaluated because the gears would grind at parking lot speeds and up to 35mph. I made it clear what the symptoms were. Yet the Service Manager and his crew took the car for a twenty minute, tire squealing; drive it like you stole it, all out thrashing. They Launched the car over and over again. They did high speed low gear decelereactions. When confronted with the facts and evidence the Fixed Operations Director, REFUSED to acknowledge any wrong doing. He offered his personal reassessment and if he found things not in order then he may repair it for free. Or maybe, perhaps they would let me trade it in. Can you believe this guy?! He is trying to sell me a car because mine is DAMAGED now!! The BBB was of no help. And the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center (CAC) refused to assist. They stated, "It's a dealership issue." CAC set this up then stepped away wiping their hands clean. In my book they are just as guilty, bc it seems that all they wanted to hear was, "customer was at fault." They plotted their lies about me thrashing the transmission and clutch, while they were doing just that. Once their lies were invalidated by the recording, CAC@chevrolet.com hung me out to dry, and stepped away. The service manager and at least two others drove it like they stole it, so THEY CAN BUY IT!!!!
I suggested, the dealership buy it, repair it, CPO it, sell it, and then take the difference out ot the offending parties pay. Previous to this incident, another dealership in Greenville, SC did a similar thing at 16,000 miles. They gave it back to me damaged, I left, and ten minutes later it had to be towed back to that dealership. Accusations flew but no one was man enough to admit it. Sound familiar? Anyway, the crappy end of the stick was pointed at yours truly. They supposedly fixed it, but not really. That's when the Chevy customer assistance center (CAC) called and wanted to know why their survey was so bad. A prompt explanation of the above described events initiated CAC to contact another dealer in Easley. An appointment was scheduled, and the dysfunction reappeared, only this time they were busted red handed. They burned the clutch up, then tried to sell me a clutch, and then two days later bill GM for the same work. Then the Fixed Operations Director tried to sell me a car and convince me that HIS mechanics actions were acceptable trouble shooting pracitce. He had ample opportunity to do the honorable, decent thing. He was politely informed that HE was not the only option.

Enjoy!!!!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

said by Ken:

said by Doctor Olds:

I believe those are just stock pictures of random Camaro's that he pulled of the internet to use as a background while his audio clip plays. If you go to the youtube link you can see his full description of the event that also lists the cars mileage as 38,777.

Thanks for the clarification. I mistakenly assumed the images were of his ride.
--

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 edit
reply to Ken

delete duplicate please.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sailor

Somehow this reminded me of someone i knew that had a Camaro ss. After about two years into it he had to sell it as his insurance premiums went up to 6000.00 a year do to all the tickets he got. He couldnt afford to sell it because he owed to much on it and he couldnt afford to insure it. Oh how far he was wiling to go to get out of it.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to sailor

To add to this discussion. Watch how fast you can toast a clutch.......

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM3So0U1BMQ

mob
On the next level..
Premium

Well, I noticed that it's also a Chevy product.

Other than that - the Corvette video is just sad.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Doctor Olds

:'(

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Doctor Olds

Yea that is what happens when you have the traction control on with the brakes fully applied (overpowering clamping force). If he was serious about burning tires, then he would have the traction control off and just nail it. The pain about replacing it is the clutch is on the rear end.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

said by Beezel:

Yea that is what happens when you have the traction control on with the brakes fully applied (overpowering clamping force).

That isn't how it works. Traction Control will not cause a clutch to fail.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to sailor

Excessive operator head spaces causes clutch's to burn like that....traction control only spends more of your money!

Or, as Bugs Bunny used to say: "What a maroon!"
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit
reply to Cho Baka

A man's got to know his limitations. If you are a skilled driver and are going to "push" your car hard, especially if it is a high performance car you should all ways have the traction and stability control disengaged. On the other hand if you are just driving "normally" and especially on a winding road then traction and stability control is generally advisable to all ways be on.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

said by Blogger:

A man's got to know his limitations.

Just as true a statement when dispensing advice.

said by Blogger:

If you are a skilled driver and are going to "push" your car hard, especially if it is a high performance car you should all ways have the traction and stability control disengaged. On the other hand if you are just driving "normally" and especially on a winding road then traction and stability control is generally advisable to all ways be on.

Oh, yes. I can see the logic there. Always. Sure.
While driving near the limit of grip it is a good idea to turn off stability and traction control. Just like on Top Gear.

99.99 % of drivers who think they are skilled drivers should always have the traction and stability control engaged.

I had a chance to go for a ride-along in a pace car at an Indy race (road circuit). This was a skilled driver pushing it. They left the traction and stability control on. It didn't get in their way.

Pushing it ought to be saved for a track anyhow.

A properly skilled driver will not exceed the limits, so the traction and stability control should not intrude. Right? Always?
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit

Hmm, your post all most sound like a troll, but perhaps I'm being over sensitive or misreading your intent and good will to simply offer your opinion as opposed to "advice" just as I was simply attempting to offer my opinion.

Obviously your bar for what constitutes a skilled driver is much lower than mine. You know your limitations. That is good. Truly.

If you, like me are driving a high performance de-tuned quai-race car on a fast two lane highway well known to me in Mexico like I've done many times in the years past you turn of traction and stability control. You can drive faster that way and are more challenged too. Yes, that is why on Top Gear they turn if off when testing high performance car's maximum performance--because traction control and stability control DOES lower the optimal performance. In fact they often bitch about traction and stability control that you can't turn off on some high performance vehicles they test.

The only time it is a bad idea in my specific scenario and clearly narrowly defined variables is if you've got a car that is a high performance car but whose power train, weight distribution, and suspension are poorly or terribly matched and combined--like the Mercedes AMG C model. That car will kill you if you try to push it hard without stability and traction control no matter how good you are.

Say how about those traction control and stability controls on F1, NASCAR, open wheel Indy cars and other closed circuit road course cars such as those that race at Le Mans?

Wait! I heard a "rumor" that traction and stability controls are actually legally banned from Formula One, (F1) cars. Surely this can't be true!

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to Cho Baka

said by Cho Baka:

said by Beezel:

Yea that is what happens when you have the traction control on with the brakes fully applied (overpowering clamping force).

I also mentioned the brakes fully applied, which you can see they are (he is trying to power brake). If the car is immobilized by the brakes and the clutch can't over power their clamping force, then the clutch has only so much friction. Thus the clutch clamping force (friction) will be overpowered by the torque of the engine output. Then there goes the clutch being burnt up.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

said by Beezel:

said by Cho Baka:

said by Beezel:

I also mentioned the brakes fully applied, which you can see they are (he is trying to power brake). If the car is immobilized by the brakes and the clutch can't over power their clamping force, then the clutch has only so much friction. Thus the clutch clamping force (friction) will be overpowered by the torque of the engine output. Then there goes the clutch being burnt up.

+1

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Beezel

said by Beezel:

said by Cho Baka:

said by Beezel:

That still isn't how it works. Engine output will not cause a normally functioning clutch to slip, regardless of whether the brakes are applied.
--

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

said by Cho Baka:

That still isn't how it works. Engine output will not cause a normally functioning clutch to slip, regardless of whether the brakes are applied.

You obviously don't know crap when it comes to mechanics and basic physics. I am not going to waste the time and argue, that it can cause a normal function clutch to fail by making it slip. Why do you think they have metallic, button, and multi-plate clutches? TO INCREASE CLAMPING FORCE SO THEY DON'T SLIP UNDER HIGH HP/TORQUE. Also you must not be old enough to know how we used to side step and power brake back in the day.

BTW.. Thank you for keeping us professionals in business by your cars to the shop because you don't know how to repair your own car.