All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: So when is ultra 300 making the drop?

said by iansltx:

HOWEVER if their plant is anything like TWC's, there are a lot of places where their upstream capacity consists of one 3.2MHz-wide channel, modulated at somewhere between 16QAM (10 Mbps of capacity) and 64QAM (15 Mbps of capacity). You don't want to offer more than 5 Mbps over that.

So come December when cable companies no longer have to provide analog service and Charter can then go all digital I assume that should free up the bandwidth necessary.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Not necessarily. The analog channels are on the downstream side of the system. We're talking about the upstream side here. They'd have to move the DS/US split up for analog channel reclamation to make any difference.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by iansltx:

Not necessarily. The analog channels are on the downstream side of the system. We're talking about the upstream side here. They'd have to move the DS/US split up for analog channel reclamation to make any difference.

and you know they are not planning to do that because.......?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

And you know that they are planning to do that because.......?

Suddenlink has made similar changes to their network to what Charter has seemed to have done. No US bonding there AFAIK. Upstream bonding is an expensive proposition, since it requires retooling the plant significantly. So you aren't going to see anyone doing it unless competition merits. Does FiOS compete with Charter anywhere?
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

So come December when cable companies no longer have to provide analog service and Charter can then go all digital I assume that should free up the bandwidth necessary.

I thought I read that was put on hold again ?
I think it would make more sense for Charter to offer people "free" analog HD tuners, and then use all the analog bandwidth for other things, but, I doubt they will do this.