spc
Search similar:

uniqs
connor79
join:2011-11-02

connor79

Voip/PBX options if I want to use a cell as the extension

Hey everyone,

So I'm looking at ditching our IP phones and just getting cell phones for my employees as it's a lot easier. However I'd like to keep our toll free with IVR and extensions etc. Easy enough to do all that, can keep my hosted Asterisk system or use even voip.ms and just have extensions forward to the cells and what not. The only problem is that when I've done that before, I find the call quality sometimes is less than stellar. Like the actual calls are fine but it almost seems like there's a delay. For example I've set up DISA on voip.ms set to a DID so I can call it from a cell phone to make outbound calls. When I do that though I find that it sounds like there's a big delay on the calls. This is really noticeable if I forward a voip.ms DID to a cell phone. If someone calls the DID I find you can just tell that there's a delay. Maybe it's just in my head but it really sounds different, like you answer and there's a second delay before the person talks, or sometimes you start talking at the same time etc. Is that just in my head or is that something that might happen and if so is there any way to avoid that? I find it seems worse if I have it go through a hosted PBX vs voip.ms directly. Just trying to get it out of my head that there's issues and that it's just in my mind....

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Cellular calls have latency too. I've found cellular latency to often be worse than voip latency. Ever tried calling someone else from a cell phone while you are standing in the same room? It's almost comical.
If you are relaying voip calls to cellular (I do this myself), you are basically doubling the latency. If your other caller is also cellular, you are adding even more latency to the mix and the conversation becomes quite uncomfortable, like an old school overseas call.

There isn't a whole lot you can do other than making sure you are using the least latent server to your voip provider. Once in your providers hands, there isn't much you can do about the call routing.
connor79
join:2011-11-02

1 edit

connor79

Thanks for the help. I guess I'm trying to determine if it's mostly in my head the idea that this isn't practical to be used due to call quality, or if it's actually that bad. I know when I've done it through my PBX it's worse than with VoIP.ms directly.

One quick question, would there be any difference if I had voip.ms set to send a DID to a ring group which rings on 2 numbers like a cell and a physical phone? Or even a ring group that rings on an IP phone at a sub account plus the cell phone? Like would that cause any more latency or delays vs having the DID just forward to the cell phone? Hoping not as that way I can have an extension set up with a soft phone on my computer used for caller ID etc. Thanks!

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to connor79

MVM

to connor79
Adding it to a ring group shouldn't make any difference.
Expand your moderator at work