Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stardust3

join:2012-09-08
united state
reply to C0RR0SIVE

Re: Gen 4 cable question

Look I'm not trying start an argument. That is what it is for customers upgrading. Paperwork for a new customer looks the way your post does. There is no pole mount charge for a new customer, upgrades are totally different.

C0RR0SIVE

join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

1 edit

Seems strange upgrades would be limited in that way... Would almost be shooting someone in the foot... I believe ya for the most part since I guess your an installer, but I am trying to figure out why my installer said that they are all standard now if needed, and why my paperwork shows what it does.

I guess when the installer prints the work order out, depending on the order type selected, it can have the standard install changed up?

stardust3

united state

Did you upgrade or were you a new customer? Beta testers had orders that appeared to be a new install/customer & paid as such.

montana_sat
Premium
join:2005-12-05
Kalispell, MT
reply to grohgreg

said by grohgreg:

I have no argument with that policy in principle. But who's the arbiter when there's a disagreement between the customer and the installer regarding the "ONLY" part?
//greg//

Well... since I'm the certified installer and I am suppose to know what I'm doing, and since a pole mounts cost me more time and money than wall or roof mounts, I'd have to say that choice is up the "the installer!" If a customer wants a pole mount "just because" and doesn't really need one to get line-of-site, then I bill for it or give them the option to do their own pole mount. I do my best to have happy customers, and I often do small non-standard tasks at no charge, but we don't make enough on an install as it is to be doing pole mounts just for esthetics! And I was also told that any upgrades that require moving the antenna, and / or pole mount installations for line-of-site to the new satellites are billable to the customer also.

C0RR0SIVE

join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY
reply to james1979

It is somewhat sad to hear that Hughesnet does this in the end to upgrade customers... I don't know for sure, but if I remember right, upgrade customers have to pay the huge install fee, while new customers get discounts, yet, installers get less on an upgrade site, and have to charge customers for poles... Sigh... You think a company would do what they could to keep old customers that wanna go to something new. I am pleased with HN, just expected more of the company as a whole...

I will say this, I rather liked my Gen4 installers, did a great job, ran into an issue with validating the install, got that solved in 20 minutes after they made a call, and had the system up and running quickly. I think it's rather nice it is single cable though, new transmitter is also rather nice, from the way it looked, it didn't have as many points for it to leak like older units did.

stardust3

united state
reply to montana_sat

said by montana_sat:

said by grohgreg:

I have no argument with that policy in principle. But who's the arbiter when there's a disagreement between the customer and the installer regarding the "ONLY" part?
//greg//

Well... since I'm the certified installer and I am suppose to know what I'm doing, and since a pole mounts cost me more time and money than wall or roof mounts, I'd have to say that choice is up the "the installer!" If a customer wants a pole mount "just because" and doesn't really need one to get line-of-site, then I bill for it or give them the option to do their own pole mount. I do my best to have happy customers, and I often do small non-standard tasks at no charge, but we don't make enough on an install as it is to be doing pole mounts just for esthetics! And I was also told that any upgrades that require moving the antenna, and / or pole mount installations for line-of-site to the new satellites are billable to the customer also.

I completely agree being a certified installer myself. I walk a thin line every time I roll up on a job. Being professional & courteous are my top priorities, while also protecting my bottom line at the same time. I also do many small non standard tasks at no charge. A lot of it boils down to the customer. Demanding & uncooperative gets you no where fast, then it's all business.....

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to james1979

What a can of worms. I am sure glad I am mostly upgrading accounts I originally put in.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA
reply to james1979

HughesNet emailed me the following link when I upgraded to Gen 4:

»legal.hughesnet.com/installation···ines.cfm

The "Residential Upgrade" link includes "Cabling replacement and dish relocation will be included if necessary to restore service. Non-standard charges may apply." But that's not for a Gen 4 upgrade, so they're not really telling their customers what to expect. I was also told to contact the dealer if I had any questions. As I have already said, I did contact the dealer and was told that a new pole mount would be included in my free standard installation. (But I didn't speak to the installer himself.)

Given that I've been a good customer of HughesNet for so long, and since I got my neighbors off AOL 6 years ago and onto HughesNet, and since I arranged a same day upgrade to Gen 4 for my neighbors and myself, I expect HughesNet to treat us well. I am going to request an approved cable for my Gen 4 system. If I am asked to pay extra for a proper installation, I will, but I will also contact HughesNet and request that they reimburse me.

I'll report back how things go tomorrow. (I don't expect any problems other than heavy rain and no visibility of the mountains.)

History

@direcway.com
reply to A Tech

In two weeks I will be CUTTING the HughesNet Cable permanently.

Charter Internet Service has finely came to the Rescue!

It will be so satisfying to finely be able to tell HughesNet were to shove there dish!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to stardust3

said by montana_sat:

Well... since I'm the certified installer

said by stardust3:

I completely agree being a certified installer myself.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with either of you, but neither answered my "who's the arbiter" question. Because it just seems to me that there should be some impartial 3rd party that can settle a legitimate customer/installer disagreement. Or are you both actually saying that it's your way or the highway?

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

james1979
Premium
Quinault, WA
reply to james1979

My Gen 4 upgrade is complete!

My new dish needed to be relocated due to trees being in the way. New cable was run to my existing outdoor junction box, but after that, the old cable is being used. I was charged $125 for a new pole mount. The installer said "They don't pay us to do that for upgrades, only new installations."

stardust3

united state

1 edit
reply to grohgreg

I don't have disagreements with customers that cannot be reasonably settled between us, me/customer. If there is a charge for custom work & the customer just doesn't have the money I will do it anyhow. I am not losing a job over someones attitude or inability to pay & being without anything/$$$. However if the attitude card is played I'm all business, nothing more, nothing less, it's rare, but won't walk from a job because of it either. Between catv, sat tv & sat internet I've been an installer of some sort for over 20 yrs. 1 thing I have learned is people skills. Being professional, courteous & polite goes along ways, along with explaining any custom charges upfront. Hope that explains my stance.

stardust3

united state
reply to james1979

Sounds like a successful install. Good for you.

james1979
Premium
Quinault, WA

said by stardust3:

Sounds like a successful install. Good for you.

Yes, so far my Gen 4 system is working well. It was a very seamless transition from my old system.

The installer certainly was a fast worker. He was only here for around 40 minutes. After the installation, I spoke to my neighbor (who was upgraded today before me), and my neighbor commented "I think that he had a date tonight."

stardust3

united state

Yeah gen4 are nice systems & seem to work well. From an installer standpoint they are very easy to install & work with, at least I can reach the radio without having to re position myself. While gen4 is still not cable broadband, u verse or dsl it is a huge step in the right direction for those with no other alternatives except dialup or that other bunch that has a name similar to a battery manufacturer. 1 thing Hughes could & should do is raise the allotted bandwidth/caps to at least 50 GB anytime on a basic plan, that would be fair imo. I say that based on my own usage as I consider myself an average user or maybe a tad below. I use DD-WRT, a 3rd party software on my router to keep tabs on my usage, even though I'm on dsl, I'm still capped at 250 GB per month on download only. As an installer & based on my stats, that's the only thing from my viewpoint that needs changed, is higher caps. Other than that Hughes created a real nice system for installers & customers with gen4, of course it goes without saying there are exceptions for certain programs & apps requiring low ping times to operate properly.

A Tech

reply to grohgreg

said by grohgreg:

said by A Tech:

My suggestion is offer to pay the man to change it.

My suggestion is that you update your personal knowledge base. Very little you just wrote is consistent with current/effective Hughes FSBs.

//greg//

Excuse me ?

HNS Fulfillment Dealers (BCC Here)
There is a HUGE Revision regarding additionals on Upgrades... where as HNS previously would supplement non-standard charges for Upgrades needing new cable or cover additionals if the Customer was moving residence & getting an upgrade at the same time ~ No more.

HNS states that if there is anything 'non-standard' regarding an Upgrade - Cable, Pole, Move for LOS, CU Moving Residence, etc... The Customer will be responsible for ALL additional Charges to be paid to the installer/dealer at the time of service.

HNS will not be paying anything additional on an Upgrade. It is not the responsibility for HNS to cover cable or dish moves. Again, it will fall back on to the Customer to pay these type of fees.

Please contact me with any questions.

A Tech

reply to grohgreg

said by grohgreg:

Or are you both actually saying that it's your way or the highway?

//greg//

IMHO that pretty much sums it up. If handled correctly this is rarely an issue.

Signed

HN gold award winner for completion rate.