PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

How many AppleTV's can I have on an Apple ID?

I thought the "official" answer (which is on the apple site so tend to believe it) was 10 devices -- of which up to 5 can be computers.

Now that I am thinking about buying movies from the itunes store (not sure why outside of convenience) - I am thinking that maybe I'll need more devices and I am concerned about bumping into that limit.

I have today:

1x - PC (home computer)
1x - PC (WHS Home Server)
1x - iPad
1x - iPhone
1x - ipod touch (sisters)
2x - Apple TV's

I may want to add another two Apple TV's at some point.

* I don't need "apps" on all the devices (after all, PC's and Apple TV's can use them)

* I don't need "movies" on certain devices (like the ipod touch) or even the majority of the PC's

I've read that you if you 'log out' of an itunes acccount you can sign in with another and get both purchases but other comments say you can't associate a device with another account for 90 days??

I've also read accounts saying you can have unlimited AppleTV's which would make the entire conversation a non-issue.

Curious to see what others are doing and if anyone has exceed the 10 device limit?

For what its worth, I deauthorized all computers but it still left 2 devices on my itunes account. Those two being my iphone and ipad and doesn't seem to be counting the two (perhaps 3 if you count the original) Apple TV's or ipod touch.

This is just a pain.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

I didn't think the Apple TV's counted against the device count, but I could be wrong because I have no idea why I've thought this.
I have:
1x Mac
1x PC
1x Windows Home Server
1x iPad
1x iPhone
1x iPod
3x Apple TV's
That's 9 devices and my account info says I have 3 authorizations left.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PhoenixDown

Thanks -- you should have 4 devices left though, right?
1x Mac
1x PC
1x Home Servier
1x ipad
1x iphone
1x ipod

= 6 out of 10 devices??
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

1 recommendation

I think I burt 1 authorization when I upgraded to Mountain Lion. (Clean install and I forgot to de-activate the Lion install first)
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

reply to PhoenixDown

Here is the official info straight from the TOS:

quote:
Association of Associated Devices is subject to the following terms:

(i) You may auto-download iTunes Auto-Delivery Content or download previously-purchased iTunes Eligible Content from an Account on up to 10 Associated Devices, provided no more than 5 are iTunes-authorized computers.

(ii) An Associated Device can be associated with only one Account at any given time.

(iii) You may switch an Associated Device to a different Account only once every 90 days.

(iv) You may download previously-purchased free content onto an unlimited number of devices while it is free on the iTunes Service, but on no more than 5 iTunes-authorized computers.

An Apple TV is not an “Associated Device.” However, TV show iTunes Products and purchased (i.e. not rented) movies iTunes Products may be played back on compatible Apple TVs, provided that you may only play back any such TV show or movie on a limited number of Apple TVs at the same time.

Also, the most recent update to the apple tv allows you to switch accounts.

»support.apple.com/kb/HT4448

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to PhoenixDown

Perfect!! That definitely solves my issue then